Women’s World Cup 2019

DarkFruitsRam7

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Enjoyable match just finished between Scotland and Japan.

What was most impressive for me was Hope Solo's analysis.....blooming perceptive I thought That lady has clearly got some tactical nous.

Scotland just cant catch a break with VAR. Its quite refreshing that not one of the 2 players or manager mentioned it during the after match interviews. 

Camt imagine mens football being quite so magnanimous. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Japan will be a big test as they play a lot of 1-touch passing possession football. Haven't been that impressed with England's performances so far but hope they grow into the tournament. 

i think Japan will suit England better than the organized 11 behind the ball physical Argentinians

Could be a few goals in that match, will make sure not to miss it

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Scotland just cant catch a break with VAR. Its quite refreshing that not one of the 2 players or manager mentioned it during the after match interviews. 

Camt imagine mens football being quite so magnanimous. 

Didnt see the game, just the highlights and can only assume it wasnt being used for that game.

About a million times more a penalty than the one england got against them.

32 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Didnt see the game, just the highlights and can only assume it wasnt being used for that game.

About a million times more a penalty than the one england got against them.

Its being used in every game. The VAR team would of reviewed it but decided not to ask the ref to stop the game and ask her to review it by the side of the pitch. 

The linesmen are also not sure whats going on. They are letting the game go on too far before flagging for offside, sometimes a good 30 secs. 

Its an interesting discussion I guess. The womans game is different to the mens, no doubt. I would say that the standard overall is not as good. Do they accept that some of the officials are not to the same standard as those in the mens game? 

I was in favour of VAR as a concept, but some of the decisions and the review process in this World cup has spoiled the enjoyment of the game as a spectacle. 

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

VAR won the game for France tonight.

I think it certainly highlighted a big problem with VAR at penalties

The French player took a woeful penalty that went wide. Keeper was nowhere near it, but because she was a fraction off her line - they ordered it to be retaken. That's nuts surely? The point about being off your line is that it makes you nearer the ball and therefore more likely to save it. If they spoon the ball wide, the fact you were off your line is not a factor.

She then retook the penalty and scored - yet replays showed that French players were already encroaching the penalty area when she kicked it.

No VAR decision there though, because she scored anyway. Had the keeper saved it and someone scored the rebound you assume they would have ordered another retake?

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I think it certainly highlighted a big problem with VAR at penalties

The French player took a woeful penalty that went wide. Keeper was nowhere near it, but because she was a fraction off her line - they ordered it to be retaken. That's nuts surely? The point about being off your line is that it makes you nearer the ball and therefore more likely to save it. If they spoon the ball wide, the fact you were off your line is not a factor.

She then retook the penalty and scored - yet replays showed that French players were already encroaching the penalty area when she kicked it.

No VAR decision there though, because she scored anyway. Had the keeper saved it and someone scored the rebound you assume they would have ordered another retake?

Agreed - the whole purpose of VAR is to prevent, and I quote, 'clear and obvious mistakes'. But as I don't really see what advantage the keep gained by moving a couple of inches off her line in this instance (would have been different if she'd have saved it), it seems bizarre.

15 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Agreed - the whole purpose of VAR is to prevent, and I quote, 'clear and obvious mistakes'. But as I don't really see what advantage the keep gained by moving a couple of inches off her line in this instance (would have been different if she'd have saved it), it seems bizarre.

I'm not even sure that they got it right - if you read the VAR advice pages on the FIFA website

https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/innovations/var-at-the-womens-world-cup/

The video assistant referee team supports the decision-making process of the referee in four game-changing situations:

1. Goals and offences leading up to a goal
  2. Penalty decisions and offences leading up to a penalty
  3. Direct red card incidents only
  4. Mistaken identity

Penalty decisions are then classed as

foul leading up to penalty

foul by attacking player

foul committed inside or outside the penalty area

ball out of play leading up to penalty

offside position leading up to penalty

None of which cover someone missing a penalty. 

Having watched women's football from the early days you can see a marked improvement in skill and stamina levels.

The only problem is I keep having horrendous flash backs, several players on most teams look like Robbie Savage from the rear.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Ramkesian said:

Having watched women's football from the early days you can see a marked improvement in skill and stamina levels.

The only problem is I keep having horrendous flash backs, several players on most teams look like Robbie Savage from the rear.

How do you know what he looks like from the rear?? 

21 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I was impressed with the quick passing game from England.

Lost their way in the 2nd half somewhat- think some tired. But yeah, one of the youngsters was playing the midfield pivot and another was basically shooting on sight.

Think the ladies have been improving and Phil Neville has apparently used 19 of his 23 in 3 games, which is something I've long advocated....doing enough to get the best next round opponent whilst not burning out key squad members. ?

Noticed that another new rule as been introduced during this tournament. That an attacking player cannot stand within one yard of the defensive wall during the taking of a free kick. 

Is this new law going to be implemented into our domestic leagues this coming season?

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Noticed that another new rule as been introduced during this tournament. That an attacking player cannot stand within one yard of the defensive wall during the taking of a free kick. 

Is this new law going to be implemented into our domestic leagues this coming season?

Yes it's true. 

Archived