The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Which "plot"?

Out of interest.  In this febrile atmosphere, several are mentioned...

He won't have an answer, they can't give an answer to how leave will benefit them, even though the brexit party says that the country will be ducked for 30 years, which is a good think, if you are bank rolled by a multi millionaire.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Labour will be demolished on Thursday i reckon. probably more than the tories. Their wishwashy middle ground tactics is going to lose them votes from both sides. 

I wouldn't underestimate the size of the drubbing the tories are going to get. 

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Recent poll showing people in EU think it will collapse in 10 to 20 years anyway. 

Nicely time to coincide with when all our politicians will finally agree to a plan for leaving.

As I'll probably be dead by then. I don't care.

4 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Labour will be demolished on Thursday i reckon. probably more than the tories. Their wishwashy middle ground tactics is going to lose them votes from both sides. 

Labour and the Tories are now dead meat - the Tories are probably completely finished, fractured and torn in two irreparably, and Labour will be set back for 5-10 years. We are about to substitute a two-party system with a one-policy system.

On 18/05/2019 at 11:33, McRamFan said:

Not usually a fan...

It's easy when you're rich and living in a mansion to sit there and tell everyone that immigration doesn't have any negative effects.

Not saying it is the root of everything bad but to pretend it's all good shows how out of touch people like Russell Brand are.

He makes a good point about the bankers and the political elite though.

I've taken a bit of a break from being on my high horse about politics, the self serving politicians and the elite. Interesting to see just how much the rich have got richer by over the past few years.

As long as that trend continues, nothing will change. The politicians are on the gravy train as much as the next man.

Someone earlier said it's not the Politicians dictating global/national policy and spend, it's the absolute elite of society and the politicians are mere puppets.

I read the other day that the entire World is in debt to the tune of nearly 250 Trillion dollars. I don't know if that's a British trillion or an American trillion. If it's American, that means every single person in the world is in debt to $34.25. 

There are only 5 countries in the world who were debt free as of this year (Macau, Brunei, British Virgin Islands, Palau and Lichtenstein)

If the whole world is in debt, who does the world owe that money to?

Politics is broken, society is broken, the only thing that isn't broken is the top 1%'s ability to keep making money and to keep the masses working on their behalf.

The brexit party, "new" labour, the Tories, the Greens. No-one is going to change a jot. As soon as anyone is even close to being brave or outspoken enough to try to change the status quo, they'd be destroyed by the media and by the establishment.

There needs to be a world revolution and even then the leader of the world revolution would probably be corrupt within 2 weeks of getting power. 

We're proper ducked.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's easy when you're rich and living in a mansion to sit there and tell everyone that immigration doesn't have any negative effects.

Not saying it is the root of everything bad but to pretend it's all good shows how out of touch people like Russell Brand are.

He makes a good point about the bankers and the political elite though.

So are all the rich, mansion dwellers like Farage, Johnson and Rhys Mogg, more in touch with the people of our nation?

29 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

So are all the rich, mansion dwellers like Farage, Johnson and Rhys Mogg, more in touch with the people of our nation?

They play people for mugs - and they are not aware that they are being played - or even if they are, they don't care. The likes of Farage play on prejudice - clever really. They are the ones who have so much to gain by leaving the EU, because the EU are introducing ATAD (Anti Tax Avoidance Directive). What better way is there to get the UK to leave the EU than seeding resentment against foreigners, getting 'ordinary' people to blame the EU and their mismanaged immigration policy for their problems, when their real problems are actually caused by a decade of the Tory policy of austerity. 

Make no mistake - an awful lot of people will be far better off when the UK leaves the EU - but it will be the people who are controlling the narrative - the likes of Rees-Mogg, who is so confident in the future of Britain outside the EU that he has transferred his business to Dublin.

17 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I've taken a bit of a break from being on my high horse about politics, the self serving politicians and the elite. Interesting to see just how much the rich have got richer by over the past few years.

As long as that trend continues, nothing will change. The politicians are on the gravy train as much as the next man.

Someone earlier said it's not the Politicians dictating global/national policy and spend, it's the absolute elite of society and the politicians are mere puppets.

I read the other day that the entire World is in debt to the tune of nearly 250 Trillion dollars. I don't know if that's a British trillion or an American trillion. If it's American, that means every single person in the world is in debt to $34.25. 

There are only 5 countries in the world who were debt free as of this year (Macau, Brunei, British Virgin Islands, Palau and Lichtenstein)

If the whole world is in debt, who does the world owe that money to?

Politics is broken, society is broken, the only thing that isn't broken is the top 1%'s ability to keep making money and to keep the masses working on their behalf.

The brexit party, "new" labour, the Tories, the Greens. No-one is going to change a jot. As soon as anyone is even close to being brave or outspoken enough to try to change the status quo, they'd be destroyed by the media and by the establishment.

There needs to be a world revolution and even then the leader of the world revolution would probably be corrupt within 2 weeks of getting power. 

We're proper ducked.

We've been ducked  in this country since the time of the feudal system.

The ordinary people, the vast majority of the population, that includes not just the so called working and middle classes but also a large number of the upper class, have never had any power or control in the governance of the country.

Even those who think they are running the country are just the puppets of the elite super rich.

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Being totally honest here, yes when I hear them talk, they come across as understanding the everyday problems that I come across.

6 hours ago, eddie said:

They play people for mugs - and they are not aware that they are being played - or even if they are, they don't care.

It's attitudes like this creating divides in this country. What makes you think you are so worldly wise that you know better than over 17m people? 

The likes of Farage play on prejudice - clever really. They are the ones who have so much to gain by leaving the EU, because the EU are introducing ATAD (Anti Tax Avoidance Directive).

So did Farage start his campaign over 20 years ago in the knowledge that this new directive was going to be introduced? 

What better way is there to get the UK to leave the EU than seeding resentment against foreigners, getting 'ordinary' people to blame the EU and their mismanaged immigration policy for their problems, when their real problems are actually caused by a decade of the Tory policy of austerity. 

Is in not possible that both could be playing a factor?

Make no mistake - an awful lot of people will be far better off when the UK leaves the EU - but it will be the people who are controlling the narrative - the likes of Rees-Mogg, who is so confident in the future of Britain outside the EU that he has transferred his business to Dublin.No he hasn't transferred his business to Dublin. And I assume you will be happy to research them facts and issue a correction as I'm sure you would not want lies to be spread to support an argument.

3 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I had no idea you had a hereditary peerage! I bow down to thee sire ?

Is this not also a part of the problem? 

Just assuming that these people are all elitist and therefore dismissing what they say without actually listening to the content? 

On 18/05/2019 at 11:52, McRamFan said:

Just a reminder of the lies told...

Thought I would watch it for comedy value.

Seen numerous interviews with that OFOC guy, what a joke he is.

I notice you keep on referring to 'lies'.

I think you need to clarify what you see as lies.

A lie is a factually incorrect statement. Not an opinion that is different to yours.

Therefore any predictions Farage made about Brexit, or statements on how he thought it should play out were not lies, as nobody knew how it would play out, in fact nobody still does.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's attitudes like this creating divides in this country. What makes you think you are so worldly wise that you know better than over 17m people? 

Why does 17m get to decide on a population of 66m?  It's that small 17m that is dividing the country, the people that are impacted the most, didn't have a choice, and the people who voted leave, and will vote leave again is less than half that number.  Normally I would provide a link, however I am following the brexit model and not.

So did Farage start his campaign over 20 years ago in the knowledge that this new directive was going to be introduced? 

Yes.  The EU has been chasing tax avoidance for decades, Thatcher vetoed every move to close loopholes for banks/traders, that let to the yuppie crash, that impacted the UK, whilst the rest of Europe was hardly impacted.  But hey, we have no power and have to take all the rules/laws the EU impose....hmm another brexit lie.

Is in not possible that both could be playing a factor?

Leaving the EU will not stop immigration, the vast majority is from the far east.  Leaving the EU will not stop austerity, in fact, it could make it worse as employment laws would be destroyed, under the tories/right wing government.  Thatcher tried to stop things like sick pay, minimum holidays, mat/pat leave, right of appeal, human rights etc.

No he hasn't transferred his business to Dublin. And I assume you will be happy to research them facts and issue a correction as I'm sure you would not want lies to be spread to support an argument.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/rees-mogg-declares-himself-fan-of-irish-investment-regime-1.3822113

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-brexit-scm-ireland-investment-fund-conservative-mp-a8461021.html

https://www.ft.com/content/38987fe2-6f19-11e8-92d3-6c13e5c92914

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/95973/jacob-rees-mogg-defends-own-firm-after-it-moved-dublin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/22/jacob-rees-mogg-second-irish-fund-scm

Here is a link to what the Irish think, it;s one of the more balanced ones.

https://www.thejournal.ie/uk-politicians-4336217-Dec2018/

I think you need to do some research, before you call someone out.

Archived