The Politics Thread 2019

Day

It's looking more and more like a choice between exiting with no deal and not leaving at all.

Either way signals the end for one or both of the two main political parties in the UK for probably a generation, so that's something good which will come out of the entire fiasco I suppose.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's looking more and more like a choice between exiting with no deal and not leaving at all.

Either way signals the end for one or both of the two main political parties in the UK for probably a generation, so that's something good which will come out of the entire fiasco I suppose.

I think you may be correct. I now prefer a no deal, WTO Brexit. And Farage, BoJo et al must own and be responsible for what happens. 

I will be happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong if it isn't a disaster. Will pro Brexit people do the same if it is? 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I now prefer a no deal, WTO Brexit. And Farage, BoJo et al must own and be responsible for what happens. 

In the scenario where that all goes badly wrong - do you think there's a chance they will own it? I'm sceptical 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think you may be correct. I now prefer a no deal, WTO Brexit. And Farage, BoJo et al must own and be responsible for what happens. 

I will be happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong if it isn't a disaster. Will pro Brexit people do the same if it is? 

I'm actually too old to care how it will affect me one way or the other. If I need a visa for my frequent trips to Europe, so be it. If the pound tanks even more and I have to pay double what I paid in 2016 for Euros, or if the government pile tariffs on imported beer, so be it. I'll just put a few extra days of work in each month while I am still capable of doing so.

The chances of the likes of Farage, Johnson etc admitting to a mistake are nil - it will always be somebody else's fault. That is their way - always has been and always will be.

9 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

In the scenario where that all goes badly wrong - do you think there's a chance they will own it? I'm sceptical 

I agree. But I see no option. The easiest deal in history has been exposed as at best a vast underestimation, and at worst a bare faced lie. But there is still an expectation we can manage alone. 

One post earlier, sorry for not quoting it, said we existed for 200 million years before the EU. However much of that was with foraging as a primary method of feeding ourselves. I truly don't think it's much of an argument in favour of Brexit. 

It's a different world and I don't see a way to return. It's likely to be a disaster, but too many people don't see it and won't believe it until they see it. They need to experience it as logic doesn't seem to work nowadays. 

It's like arguing with religious fundamentalists. Once they are deceased they'll believe that there's no Jesus but it'll be too late by then. 

If I'm wrong, I'll tip my hat to everyone I've disparaged. 

From The Independent's politics blog...

It seems that Theresa May's meeting with the executive of the 1922 Committee has now finished, after almost two hours.

Reporters outside the prime minister's House of Commons office say her car has gone and she appears to have left parliament.

We can only hope...

27 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I agree. But I see no option. The easiest deal in history has been exposed as at best a vast underestimation, and at worst a bare faced lie. But there is still an expectation we can manage alone. 

One post earlier, sorry for not quoting it, said we existed for 200 million years before the EU. However much of that was with foraging as a primary method of feeding ourselves. I truly don't think it's much of an argument in favour of Brexit. 

It's a different world and I don't see a way to return. It's likely to be a disaster, but too many people don't see it and won't believe it until they see it. They need to experience it as logic doesn't seem to work nowadays. 

It's like arguing with religious fundamentalists. Once they are deceased they'll believe that there's no Jesus but it'll be too late by then. 

If I'm wrong, I'll tip my hat to everyone I've disparaged. 

The shift in active Brexiteer statements from "It will be rainbows and unicorns" to "We survived the war" is disconcerting.

10 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

none of you Pangean Johnny-cum-latelys!

Vaalbara is our true origin.....well, us and a few bacteria?

Is that the bit that became Leeds?

43 minutes ago, maxjam said:

No manifesto yet, so lets make stuff up and criticise them for it.  Geez

Meanwhile...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/20-broken-being-promises-tories-10371384

Politics are about making things up, brexit started that sea change with that bus.  Cannot believe people, who blindly follow someone who doesn't have a plan, just a rant.

As for that tory 20 broken promises, is anyone shocked? Farage/Tories same coin, different sides.  Both full of devious self scummery, purely to line their pockets and poo on the masses. 

As for Labour, they have sat on the fence for so long branches are now growing out the top of their heads.

Lib Dems, will never recover in this generation for selling out to pig boy.

Change UK, too small.

Greens, may be a force in another 4-10 years, when the planet is in the pooper big time, as most people atm, think climate change isn't as bad as people make out, bar the youngsters who can't vote yet.

The rest, blah.

Just to let you know where my political alignments are.

1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

So a question for Farage supporters, are you happy for the NHS to be privatised and you pay an insurance premium, then additional costs depending on treatments?

You only have to look at the US of A to see what a mess can be created by attempting such a system. The endless problem being how do you provide an acceptable level of care to those who would be, frankly, uninsurable?

I work in insurance as an actuary - I have to keep explaining to people that insurance is to cover the risk of getting a condition that you don't currently suspect you have. A number of people seem to think that you should buy insurance when you're feeling ropey or have a bad back and want some chiropractor treatment.

In America, Obama tried to fix things by letting the private sector into the market. Of course, if you then try to minimise cross subsidies between risk groups, there will be those whose premiums are sooooo high, they approach the cost of buying private care on a pay as you go basis. And then what do you do?

So Im afraid Nigel will hve a lot of work to do to convince someone like me that this can work and be "fair" 

As far as Mr Privatise the NHS Farage is concerned, old folks can just die - and as quickly as possible. Which is strange really, as that's the majority of his base.

Sith Happens

Why should we need to move to an insurance based system,  he promised us all that money for the NHS. I know he did it was on a bus.

14 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Why should we need to move to an insurance based system,  he promised us all that money for the NHS. I know he did it was on a bus.

He lies

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/12/film-nigel-farage-insurance-based-nhs-private-companies

Then changes his mind, that fits to his agenda.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/12/farage-calls-for-private-health-firms-to-relieve-burden-on-nhs

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

He decides whatever Trump tells him to, so it's natural that he would change his mind every hour and then maintain that he never changed his mind ever and has always thought that fish ride bicycles.

Speaking of bicycle-riding fish, I see that Boris has thrown his hat into the Tory leadership ring. Yarroo, guffaw, let's all raid the tuck shop.

Archived