The Politics Thread 2019

Day

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Just seen this work of literary art on Facebook 

an less it's Anna soubry she just a horrible walking brain dead zombie remainer it about time some one put her back in her brain dead box permanently along with Mr bersco and we would all be happy off not having to listen there verbal ******** that comes from them there even worst than listening to brain dead zombie remainers who still have not stopped throwing out there dummies like the big babies they are we the BREXITERS would of exsepted the result but there still carrying on like a little child in a toy shop who throw a tantrum when they can't get there own way so they should lean to grow up like us the BREXITERS who are grown ups and watching these adult little babies still throwing there dummies grow up will you ???????????????????

I don't think I should say anything before any body else does?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I suppose you are right in one sense. The EU have more understanding of what's going on than the government. Might be better to let them make the decisions. 

But how does that sit with the whole "sovereignty" issue? 

They have certainly shown far more leadership than the British government and far more ability to compromise than the British parliament - and, it can be argued, made a decision which is very much in the interests of the well-being of the British people (if not according to the wishes of the British people as expressed almost 3 years ago).

I'm relieved that my medication, which more than likely keeps me alive, will continue to be imported uninterrupted (it's manufactured by Bayer in Germany) - I'm also delighted that I can now (probably) go ahead with booking my next trip to Belgium.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I don't think I should say anything before any body else does?

Almost Shakespearean in its construction. I'm sure there's an iambic pentameter lurking in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

indeed it is - but THAT is nothing whatsoever to do with Labour government overspending, but societal demand to live in a house and watch it constantly increase in value for ever......and ever.......

Now what you CAN have a legitimate moan at the Labour government for is for re-designating certain forms of spending as "investment" (new schools, hospitals and suchlike) and then launching into PFI deals that will saddle the country with repayments for years to come. All of which hides the total cost of those programs.

What we don't get from ANY politicians is sufficient honesty to make informed choices. Hence endless spin and pretence that you can have something and there is no cost to anyone, ever - clearly nonsense. You want something to happen eg a nice new navy. Well, theres a cost. SOMEBODY is going to have to pay.

There lays the biggest problem, not enough people wanting to contribute their fair share of the money needed to run a caring society.  Wether it be in the form of individual or corporate taxes.

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

There lays the biggest problem, not enough people wanting to contribute their fair share of the money needed to run a caring society.  Wether it be in the form of individual or corporate taxes.

That has always been the bottom line.

I want X, Y and Z, but I should prefer it if somebody else pays for it.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's only revoked in rare circumstances.

“violated repeatedly, clear cut provisions of the conventions on diplomatic asylum of Havana and Caracas.

“Despite the fact he was requested on several occasions to respect and abide by these rules.”

“He particularly violated the norm of not interfering in the internal affairs of other states.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/julian-assange-arrested-wikileaks-founder-ecuadorian-embassy-asylum-ecuador/

i have been pouring through pdf files on the Havana and Caracas convention, but cannot find these stated rules.

This is what Wikileaks editor Kristinn Hrafnsson says at this time

While sources speaking to the media have contended that Assange had repeatedly violated the terms of his asylum agreement within the Ecuadorian embassy in London, Kristinn dismissed these allegations as completely unsubstantiated.

“There is no such agreement,” he told the Grapevine. “It’s bogus. You don’t just decide impose terms for asylum years after the fact. This is a violation of international laws and norms, and flies in the face of moral decency.”

https://grapevine.is/news/2019/04/11/wikileaks-editor-we-will-fight-extradition-of-julian-assange/

23 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Exactly. Why are the EU all of a sudden having a change of heart giving us the extended deadline? Thought they weren't going to renegotiate? Tusk was adamant the EU was done talking with the UK. Hopefully with the EU still wanting a settlement with the UK, they'll be more flexible with the negotiations. Because it's clear the folks in parliament will be at a stalemate for the foreseeable future, winding everyone up.    

German foreign minister: Delay is not an indication of renegotiation

Heiko Maas has told reporters that the delay granted shouldn't let anyone believe the Withdrawal Agreement would be reopened.

He said: "A decision was taken that averted the unregulated Brexit for the time being, however this must not be misinterpreted in such a way that there is new negotiating scope about the agreement.

That will be a no then.

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Exactly so.....people have been sold the vision that society doesn’t need to provide as we can all afford to buy whatever we need or want from our vast personal wealth......if we were all just a little bit more like Jacob R-M.....

which of course we can’t all be. But nobody says the last bit.....

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

That has always been the bottom line.

I want X, Y and Z, but I should prefer it if somebody else pays for it.

Don't know how you'll get the X,Y and Z you want but to get somebody to pay for the I and T. Have you thought about starting a crowdfunding site?

35 minutes ago, maxjam said:

@eddie I'd never heard of iambic pentometer and I'll probably have forgotten what it means by tomorrow.  But it did make me think of Blackadder!

Iambic meter is basically the alternating stress or emphasis (weak and strong sounds) in consecutive syllables.

Iambic pentameter simply means it happens 5 times in a line.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Iambic meter is basically the alternating stress or emphasis (weak and strong sounds) in consecutive syllables.

you're not making this any easier ?

I googled iambic pentameter after I read it.  I didn't come across that much when I work in IT!

42 minutes ago, maxjam said:

you're not making this any easier ?

I googled iambic pentameter after I read it.  I didn't come across that much when I work in IT!

Me neither (and I'm just at the start of my 5th decade working in IT, although semi-retired), but just imaging that you have just spent all week working on something, and for some reason you haven't taken a backup, and suddenly you find that your hard drive packs in. Naturally you would say something like...

"DUCK it! SH**bag! BOLL***s! BAS***d! WAN**r!"

Hey presto, iambic pentameter. You can now program like Shakespeare.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Any company avoiding paying their tax surely has to be down to legal loopholes, and they need closing.

Individuals, once again if they have a legal loophole then that needs closing too. Any other individuals not paying their fair share are either not declaring all their earnings, or one of the 'unspecified' number of people who somehow manage not to work yet receive handouts from the government. Those individuals we are often told off for though for criticising because many genuinely rely on handouts because of health situations etc , but i dare bet most of us know of someone who has or does claim sickness benefits but still manages to get out and do cash in hand work.

33 minutes ago, eddie said:

Me neither (and I'm just at the start of my 5th decade working in IT, although semi-retired), but just imaging that you have just spent all week working on something, and for some reason you haven't taken a backup, and suddenly you find that your hard drive packs in. Naturally you would say something like...

"DUCK it! SH**bag! BOLL***s! BAS***d! WAN**r!"

Hey presto, iambic pentameter. You can now program like Shakespeare.

Should have backed up with your floppy disk. 

14 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Any company avoiding paying their tax surely has to be down to legal loopholes, and they need closing.

Individuals, once again if they have a legal loophole then that needs closing too. Any other individuals not paying their fair share are either not declaring all their earnings, or one of the 'unspecified' number of people who somehow manage not to work yet receive handouts from the government. Those individuals we are often told off for though for criticising because many genuinely rely on handouts because of health situations etc , but i dare bet most of us know of someone who has or does claim sickness benefits but still manages to get out and do cash in hand work.

Interestingly the Labour guidelines for how it would tackle tax avoidance look to be less about closing the loopholes and more about increasing transparency of who is exploiting then and by how much. Makes sense, as many have pointed out that closing loopholes is just whackamole. 

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/john-mcdonnell/news/85890/read-labours-full-17-point-plan

No wonder the very wealthy hate the idea of a Corbyn govt

Archived