The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Anon said:

How many times to will Spain have to confirm that they will veto any attempt for an independent Scotland to join the EU before it sinks in? I'm going with ∞.

Hopefully less than the number of new posts in a row Curtains feels he has to create every time he posts.

2 hours ago, Moist One said:

-insisting that Human Rights allows benefit-chasing immigrants means they are entitled (which would be fair, but) whilst not insisting the rest of the EU provide benefits in their own nations. Flooding the major cities and driving house/rental prices up, and creating a shortage of reasonably affordable accomodation.

Without trying to address everything at once, I'd like to pull this up for attention. 

1. EU27 citizens are net contributors to the nation's coffers. Mainly healthy, working age people who pay tax and don't burden the NHS by being ill people.

2. Nothing says the UK has to accept immigrants who have no means of supporting themselves beyond (if memory serves) three months. The fact that the UK government does not do anything about this is not the fault of the EU. 

3. The lack of affordable housing is down to lack of investment over decades by successive governments. To blame immigrants is unfair. What's the percentage of immigrants in this country?

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Oh nasty. 

Fact is Labour Party has been ruiness to this country Tories always have to clear up their mess 

what was that saying by last Labour Party leaving office. We have left to nothing in the bank 

After WWII Churchill almost bankrupted this country and we have struggled since.  Thatcher schismed the country into the poor north and the yuppie south east.  Please go read history, not written my your hard right gammons.

You are missing the point, again, I have stated I have no faith in either main parties, in fact, I would send May and Corbyn out, hand in hand, in a coronal shower.

58 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Are you poor mate. 

Just about managng - lucky to have got on the housing ladder at the start of the boom years when Blair came to power

Since the Tories got back in, I haven't had a payrise, so essentially a year on year pay cut thanks to inflation.

I also have 2 kids - one is 23 and had his early school years under Labour. The youngest is 9 and so I can see exactly the differences that austerity has had on the education system. It's criminal.

The big problem at the moment is that the status quo is fine as long as you're the right side of the poverty line. Once you're on the wrong side, then you have nothing left to lose and that's the fundamental reason why so many people voted Brexit.

You can't force austerity on people for this long without that shift happening

11 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

After WWII Churchill almost bankrupted this country and we have struggled since.  Thatcher schismed the country into the poor north and the yuppie south east.  Please go read history, not written my your hard right gammons.

You are missing the point, again, I have stated I have no faith in either main parties, in fact, I would send May and Corbyn out, hand in hand, in a coronal shower.

Maybe you would like Vince Cable 

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

At this point in time, he is the only one that admits to what the public wants.  However, wouldn't get my vote, can't forgive the Lib Dems for siding with dish cloth Cameroon.

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Just about managng - lucky to have got on the housing ladder at the start of the boom years when Blair came to power

Since the Tories got back in, I haven't had a payrise, so essentially a year on year pay cut thanks to inflation.

I also have 2 kids - one is 23 and had his early school years under Labour. The youngest is 9 and so I can see exactly the differences that austerity has had on the education system. It's criminal.

The big problem at the moment is that the status quo is fine as long as you're the right side of the poverty line. Once you're on the wrong side, then you have nothing left to lose and that's the fundamental reason why so many people voted Brexit.

You can't force austerity on people for this long without that shift happening

You make some good points. 

Austerity wasn't nice I agree but the problem was overspending.

The more a country borrows the more interest they pay and the national debt never goes down.

Inflation is increased by overspending 

Printing money is not the answer either.  

13 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

At this point in time, he is the only one that admits to what the public wants.  However, wouldn't get my vote, can't forgive the Lib Dems for siding with dish cloth Cameroon.

So you have no party then. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Without trying to address everything at once, I'd like to pull this up for attention. 

1. EU27 citizens are net contributors to the nation's coffers. Mainly healthy, working age people who pay tax and don't burden the NHS by being ill people.

2. Nothing says the UK has to accept immigrants who have no means of supporting themselves beyond (if memory serves) three months. The fact that the UK government does not do anything about this is not the fault of the EU. 

3. The lack of affordable housing is down to lack of investment over decades by successive governments. To blame immigrants is unfair. What's the percentage of immigrants in this country?

Think you’ve totally missed the context. Please read again 

3 hours ago, cstand said:

Makes me laugh how people fear a no deal Brexit but don't fear Corbyn in number 10 he will turn this country into basket case like Venezuela.

Garbage

59 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Seeing as you thought that Michael Foot was Prime Minister, I guess that nothing you say can be relied upon.

No change there then.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Seeing as you thought that Michael Foot was Prime Minister, I guess that nothing you say can be relied upon.

No change there then.

Ha ha as us if your point of view is valid. 

Forgot Foot wasn’t Prime Minister was that because he was just like Corbyn 

Useless.  

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

The record is good. 

Are you poor mate. 

They have had 34 months to accomplish a single task, and they are still no closer to doing so.

They are the height of incompetence, and still they retain the support of some foolish people.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

They have had 34 months to accomplish a single task, and they are still no closer to doing so.

They are the height of incompetence, and still they retain the support of some foolish people.

They are blocked at every turn by a party that wants to stay in a customs union and a single market and wants referendum and an election .

Wow that incompetence 

54895877-61A8-4FDA-8D2C-0296E6962977.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

They are blocked at every turn by a party that wants to stay in a customs union and a single market and wants referendum and an election .

Wow that incompetence 

You know why it has been blocked, don't you?

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Wow that incompetence 

54895877-61A8-4FDA-8D2C-0296E6962977.jpeg

Blocked by their own party. ERG voted against Brexit for heaven's sake.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Ha ha as us if your point of view is valid. 

Forgot Foot wasn’t Prime Minister was that because he was just like Corbyn 

Useless.  

You seem to have it in your mind that I am a Corbyn fanboy. Nothing could be further than the truth - I have been, all my life, extremely liberal in outlook. The trouble with that is, to anyone who aligns themselves with the current state of the Conservative Party, everything slightly left of Attila The Hun is Marxism by comparison.

Archived