The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, eddie said:

You do know what 'speculative' means, don't you?

"Engaged in, expressing, or based on conjecture rather than knowledge"

Conjecture, rather than knowledge - no change there then.

I could speculate that we are all going to have pet unicorns after we leave the EU, but it takes a particular level of craziness to believe it.

I have two pet unicorns who are very affectionate house companions. They do annoy the wife though, as they frequently (inadvertently) damage the furniture. 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I have two pet unicorns who are very affectionate house companions. They do annoy the wife though, as they frequently (inadvertently) damage the furniture. 

@Curtains will be jealous, he's always chasing after unicorns...

https://fullfact.org/europe/350-million-week-boris-johnson-statistics-authority-misuse/?utm_source=content_page&utm_medium=related_content

1 minute ago, McRamFan said:

£350 million a week doesn’t include the rebate

It’s been claimed that we send £350 million a week to the EU. That misses out the rebate, and it doesn’t represent the total economic costs and benefits of EU membership to the UK.

£350 million is roughly what we would pay to the EU budget without the rebate. The UK actually paid closer to £250 million a week.

The UK Statistics Authority has said the EU membership fee figure of £19 billion a year, or £350 million a week, is "not an amount of money that the UK pays to the EU each year".

From your link. 

Thats a ridiculous amount 

34 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Lets not forget...

or this article if you don't want to watch an old UKIP video!

https://www.politico.eu/article/angela-merkel-emmanuel-macron-eu-army-to-complement-nato/

In some ways I would have liked to have seen a united EU army just to see if someone could compete with the US (I'm guessing still no). The only other military power in Europe is France. Poland is doing a pretty good job, but they aren't at the UK or France level yet. Then you have Germany whose military is a shambles, the paper tigers that are Spain and Italy (if they can even afford to keep a military anymore) and Greece who did have a fairly good military before their financial issues. Everyone else can contribute virtually nothing except special forces.

However there is no way the UK could ever accept a united EU army if we are in it. We wouldn't want to rely on an army we had no control over to protect places like the Falklands or even Gibraltar. Our global interests are too widespread compared to anyone else in Europe except France for us to rely on other nations to protect them. France only pushes for the United army, because they essentially see it is an extension to the French armed forces.

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Even with a significant margin of error that's a mighty large majority for Scotland wanting to remain. 
Surely a "gross betrayal" of the Scottish nation if we do leave, and an inarguable case for a second Scottish independence referendum (which they would win next time)

Most people seem to consider themselves English, Scottish, Welsh etc. Does anyone actually consider themselves a citizen of the United Kingdom?

Edit: clearly no one in England cared about Northern Ireland in the run up to the EU referendum...

I'd say DUP voters care deeply about their citizenship of the UK and the unity of the UK as a whole.   From my experience, Brexit voters in England are often more motivated by English nationalism/sovereignty than UK/British sovereignty. 

National identity is a bound to be a complicating factor for a Union of countries (2 of which voted against Brexit and have large pro independence minorities) trying to extract themselves from another Union of Countries.

The longer it goes on without resolution, the more irrelevant and out of date the 2016 referendum becomes. I accepted the result as a fair reflection of public opinion at the time, even with all the lies and misplaced jingoism.

I don't any longer. Too long a time has passed.

21 minutes ago, eddie said:

The longer it goes on without resolution, the more irrelevant and out of date the 2016 referendum becomes. I accepted the result as a fair reflection of public opinion at the time, even with all the lies and misplaced jingoism.

Geez you get longer in government if you win an election ?

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, eddie said:

Its probably no longer a reflection of public opinion.

Maybe in hindsight it should have been a vote to leave in principle,  with a second vote once the deal had been finalised so the public could vote again either yes leave with deal, no leave no deal, remain or something like that.

At least then its fair, the current method of agreeing a deal doesn't work because its voted for by politicians who are self serving.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, maxjam said:

Yes but if you win an election it doesn't take 4 years to take they keys to no 10

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Not necessarily - I think it most unlikely that the current 'government' (for want of a besser word) will see a full term out.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

If we had left at the time, I would have supported the decision, albeit grudgingly. The fact that a prime minister got greedy for a 'larger mandate' and the extremists in her party got greedy for the type of exit that wasn't either a) on the referendum paper or b) in the Tory manifesto but probably enhanced their own personal fortunes or suited their own narrow-mindedness scuppered that.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

If we had left at the time, I would have supported the decision, albeit grudgingly. The fact that a prime minister got greedy for a 'larger mandate' and the extremists in her party got greedy for the type of exit that wasn't either a) on the referendum paper or b) in the Tory manifesto but probably enhanced their own personal fortunes or suited their own narrow-mindedness scuppered that.

Wow

So it doesn’t matter that the EU is a busted flush already then!

9 hours ago, eddie said:

Alternatively, people are perhaps coming around to the school of thought that it was, just maybe, a pretty naive idea in the first place to believe that any deal with the EU was going to be the 'easiest ever', that they 'needed us more than we needed them' and that we would have this huge wheelbarrow of cash available to spend on our infrastructure?

A few choice quotes from prominent leavers...

• There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside - David Davis, 10 October, 2016
  • The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want - Michael Gove, 9 April 2016
  • Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards - John Redwood, 17 July, 2016
  • The Free Trade deal that we do with the EU will be one of the easiest in human history - Liam Fox, 20 July, 2017
  • We're not really interested in a transition deal, but we'll consider one to be kind to the EU - David Davis, 15 November, 2016
  • The idea that we’ll do a transitional arrangement where you’re still in, paying money, still with free movement of people – that we’ll do the long-term deal in slow motion … That is plainly not what we’re after - David Davis, 15 March 2016
  • I believe that we can get a free trade and customs agreement concluded before March 2019 - David Davis, 18 January, 2017

It's been an ill-thought out 'plan' from the start.

Was never a plan. Just a collection of vacuous assertions with no basis in any reality.

David Davis - described as the only man who could swagger in a seated position. 

27 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

David Davis - described as the only man who could swagger in a seated position. 

Isn't that just called 'arsing about'?

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Wow

So it doesn’t matter that the EU is a busted flush already then!

As opposed to the worst government and Prime Minister of my entire lifetime? The EU did a damned signt more to expedite the crazy sitiation in five hours than your precious Tories did in almost three years.

Get your head out of your backside for once.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

As opposed to the worst government and Prime Minister of my entire lifetime? The EU did a damned signt more to expedite the crazy sitiation in five hours than your precious Tories did in almost three years.

Get your head out of your backside for once.

The idea was to leave the EU wasn’t it. 

You want to stay in I want to leave. 

Archived