The Politics Thread 2019

Day

31 minutes ago, Curtains said:

31st October delay with review in June  

Halloween 

The witching hour. 

Cleverly killed off any chance of a second referendum. All we need now is for May to reject it and we leave on Friday. ?

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Read it again. You said the EU caused some negative things. One is an increase of benefits claiming immigrants pushing up house prices. I described why that's not true. 

What context did I miss? 

you said I was blaming immigration and quoted immigrants contribution to the GDP I believe, although I cannot be arsed to go back and check, you basically twisted my comment and reacted as if I was making a different point completely, and if I made it read that it was only immigrants claiming benefits, then I wrote it wrong. One point was all the benefit claiming immigrants don't settle anywhere else in EU and end up here, a separate point was that people have cashed in on rent and house prices.

35 minutes ago, Moist One said:

you said I was blaming immigration and quoted immigrants contribution to the GDP I believe, although I cannot be arsed to go back and check, you basically twisted my comment and reacted as if I was making a different point completely, and if I made it read that it was only immigrants claiming benefits, then I wrote it wrong. One point was all the benefit claiming immigrants don't settle anywhere else in EU and end up here, a separate point was that people have cashed in on rent and house prices.

1. You missed my context, read it again. 

2. I can't be arsed to reread your comment where I thought you misquoted me. 

54 minutes ago, Moist One said:

really, not seen that stat before.  where did you get that from?

9 hours ago, Curtains said:

31st October delay with review in June 

So a flexible extension - do any of us have any faith that the situation will change between now and the end of October? They will just keep playing the scenario out until the deadline.

Now that No Deal is legally off the table, nobody wants May's deal  and the EU don't want to renegotiate -  the only meaningful option left on the table is to revoke, have an election where both parties put forward a new Brexit plan that has the support of enough MPs to actually pass - and let the public decide.

Lib Dem - no Brexit

Tories - Brexit that works for the well off but will shaft the poor

Labour - Brexit that will protect workers rights and jobs

16 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

So a flexible extension - do any of us have any faith that the situation will change between now and the end of October? They will just keep playing the scenario out until the deadline.

Now that No Deal is legally off the table, nobody wants May's deal  and the EU don't want to renegotiate -  the only meaningful option left on the table is to revoke, have an election where both parties put forward a new Brexit plan that has the support of enough MPs to actually pass - and let the public decide.

Lib Dem - no Brexit

Tories - Brexit that works for the well off but will shaft the poor

Labour - Brexit that will protect workers rights and jobs

We will see. 

I wouldn’t vote Labour if it was the last party on earth 

34 minutes ago, Curtains said:

We will see. 

I wouldn’t vote Labour if it was the last party on earth 

At the rate the Tories are imploding, they soon might be.

I can't see May calling for another GE after the rooster-up she made of the last one.

But if there was to be another one. Would it be the usual contest between the two main parties, a rise in the popularity of parties like Ukip. Maybe see a lot of independent candidates or the emergence of new parties, some with extremist views, hoping to take advantage of the present turmoil.

If we do hold a GE, will any ensuing outcome help resolve the problems regarding brexit faced by the country and more specifically parliament or will it end up in an even bigger mess.

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I can't see May calling for another GE after the rooster-up she made of the last one.

But if there was to be another one. Would it be the usual contest between the two main parties, a rise in the popularity of parties like Ukip. Maybe see a lot of independent candidates or the emergence of new parties, some with extremist views, hoping to take advantage of the present turmoil.

If we do hold a GE, will any ensuing outcome help resolve the problems regarding brexit faced by the country and more specifically parliament or will it end up in an even bigger mess.

Bigger mess, definitely.

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Bigger mess, definitely.

Hard to imagine a bigger mess isn't it? But probably right

May has already said she'll stand down and not fight the next election. So a Tory leadership battle is already covertly underway. But likely to fracture the party. Then whoever gets the job surely still has no mandate until another GE

Yeah OK - a bigger mess looms ?

12 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Funny how the EU have agreed to extend the deadline, they can't afford to miss out on an opportunity to gain an extra few billion from the UK.

Damn those EU maniacs for, er, agreeing to what we wanted. Despicable bar stewards.

11 minutes ago, Spanish said:

how are they to blame for this????

I was wondering that. Their willingness to keep extending shows either

a) no deal is bad for them too - otherwise they'd just let us crash out

b) they actually care about us

Either way - blaming them seems a bit of a strange way of looking at it!

15 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I was wondering that. Their willingness to keep extending shows either

a) no deal is bad for them too - otherwise they'd just let us crash out

b) they actually care about us

c) they have already got the deal they want but an even better deal would be for the UK to change its mind and reverse Brexit. The UK have already voted down no deal so its minimal risk - cos unlike us they are better at negotiating (oh and are we still paying them an extra £1bn per month of any extension?)

fixed that for you

Archived