The Politics Thread 2019

Day

27 minutes ago, Joe. said:

But it was originally just about trade though, 

'What began as a purely economic union has evolved into an organization spanning policy areas, from climate, environment and health to external relations and security, justice and migration. A name change from the European Economic Community (EEC) to the European Union (EU) in 1993 reflected this'

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/eu-in-brief_en

Have a read at the 1975 pamphlet and tell me it doesn't talk about the European Community in wider terms than trade. That was the government's pamphlet outlining their reasoning behind supporting joining. Perfectly open about the community being about more than trade. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Joe. said:

But it was originally just about trade though, 

'What began as a purely economic union has evolved into an organization spanning policy areas, from climate, environment and health to external relations and security, justice and migration. A name change from the European Economic Community (EEC) to the European Union (EU) in 1993 reflected this'

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/eu-in-brief_en

The European Union has it's roots in the European Coal and Steel Community in the early 1950s doesn't it?  Which only contained 6 countries. Back then it was purely based on economics but there was the belief was that countries that were co-operating with each other economically, would be far less likely to go to war with one another, and that would help France and Germany avoid 'Round 4' in the space of 100 years.  By 1975 and the time of the first referendum in the UK,  the EEC had evolved into something far more than just a economic entity and people must have been quite well aware of that at the time. 

However, between 1975 and 2019, the EU has continued to evolve towards closer integration.  And that is too much for some people who feel it's a threat to national sovereignty.  It's not an opinion I share myself, but it's a valid point nonetheless.  Who knows, if the EU continues on a path towards further integration maybe more people in other parts of Europe will start to feel the same way. 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Be careful now.  Having voted leave it's seems most posters on this topic expect you drink your own piss and read Jack and Jill books.  Don't use big words, you'll confuse them and ruin the illusion.

I can merely reciprocate by stating that the last Jack and Jill book I read was by D Cameron*, paid for by we tax-payers and called

"Why the Government believes that voting to remain in the European Union is the best decision for the UK!"

He who famously said "Brits don't quit" and resigned 12 hours after the referendum!

PS I haven't touched French wine in decades.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Have a read at the 1975 pamphlet and tell me it doesn't talk about the European Community in wider terms than trade. That was the government's pamphlet outlining their reasoning behind supporting joining. Perfectly open about the community being about more than trade. 

Omg did the public know what they were voting for in 1975. May be we can use that as an argument to counter the argument that people are using now.

3 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

All this talk about an extension if there is no deal. Why doesn’t the EU just say no you can’t have one? That would sort everything out.

And the best thing about that is, when the real problems start, the leavers can blame somebody else.

34 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

All this talk about an extension if there is no deal. Why doesn’t the EU just say no you can’t have one? That would sort everything out.

Because they don't want us to leave.

They want us to vote again and get the answer right next time.

13 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Oh yes how daft of me.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I am married to a Brexiteer (some might describe her as the 'brains of the family'), and the whole fiasco is now dominating every aspect of my day. Should I say this, should I say that, can we discuss everything else. She is now a seething ball of rage, looking to blame everything and everyone because what she voted for three years ago hasn't yet happened.

I am utterly sick of it - I really do wish now, for my own peace of mind and home life, that we leave on October 31, irrespective of the consequences. I like to pride myself on being a reasonably intelligent person and don't always take things at face value just because I am told something, but at least I try to question things in a reasonably logical manner, and if I recognise that somebody knows a subject in more depth than I do, then I will give them the floor. However, when approximately 50% of the country believe one thing and the other 50% believe the opposite, then I am afraid we are beyond reason now.

I just don't care any more, but just remember this - if it turns out badly, then this is what you voted for.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because they don't want us to leave.

They want us to vote again and get the answer right next time.

So this boils down to the EU not agreeing to our democratic vote. I can’t believe these so called do gooders and ‘political experts’ (lol) can’t see the EU for what it is.

4 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I am married to a Brexiteer (some might describe her as the 'brains of the family'), and the whole fiasco is now dominating every aspect of my day. Should I say this, should I say that, can we discuss everything else. She is now a seething ball of rage, looking to blame everything and everyone because what she voted for three years ago hasn't yet happened.

I am utterly sick of it - I really do wish now, for my own peace of mind and home life, that we leave on October 31, irrespective of the consequences. I like to pride myself on being a reasonably intelligent person and don't always take things at face value just because I am told something, but at least I try to question things in a reasonably logical manner, and if I recognise that somebody knows a subject in more depth than I do, then I will give them the floor. However, when approximately 50% of the country believe one thing and the other 50% believe the opposite, then I am afraid we are beyond reason now.

I just don't care any more, but just remember this - if it turns out badly, then this is what you voted for.

Who knows what will happen? If it happens. I know someone who is adamant we can’t leave and all this is just a charade.

I am starting to believe him.

23 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Who knows what will happen? If it happens. I know someone who is adamant we can’t leave and all this is just a charade.

I am starting to believe him.

What's the point of planning, then?

Tonight's lunacy was "What's the point of looking at the bus timetable? It seems to be random" (there was an accident last week which caused gridlock and delays).

The bus tonight came on time.

4 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

What's the point of planning, then?

Tonight's lunacy was "What's the point of looking at the bus timetable? It seems to be random" (there was an accident last week which caused gridlock and delays).

The bus tonight came on time.

I reckon we can’t leave the EU. That is why there is such a commotion over it all. The conservatives are trying to fight them but it seems like the EU has too many people within our parliament to prevent us getting out. Sheeple will be sheeple.

38 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I reckon we can’t leave the EU. That is why there is such a commotion over it all. The conservatives are trying to fight them but it seems like the EU has too many people within our parliament to prevent us getting out. Sheeple will be sheeple.

Of course it couldn't be the tories' fault, who asked for and were granted an extension. Must be the corrupt fascist eu. 

37 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Ah, I never realised that the European Union actually voted for members in the British parliament. Which constituencies would they represent?

Also, could you please define 'Conservatives'? Are they people only slightly to the right of Jacob Rees-Mogg or are they going full Attila The Hun now?

Archived