The Politics Thread 2019

Day

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Another story blaming Brexit for something but then when you actually read the story it bears no resemblance to the headline. It's getting boring.

“We were in partnership with Super Deal tyres but the Brexit deal ruined that.

“They are a US company. Once Brexit was announced, they pulled away from the deal. We’ve been looking for a manufacturing base since then,” he explained.

Bears no resemblance? 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I find it all extremely sad.

Who cares what these people have done 20 or 30 years ago before they were even politicians? 

How does it affect what they are going to do in the future.

I think there should be a carpet ban on media outlets reporting on the politicians private lives.

Once again it's the mainstream media trying to tell everyone how to vote.

The decision should come down to politicians policies. 

You mean the electorate of c120,000 average age 60+ pipe smokers, retired majors and WI jam makers?

?

Most people did stupid things in their youth.

What intrigues me is do they now realise they were stupid and have they changed approach since. I Don’t think Boris or Jezza have. Does that make them true to themselves no matter how daft , or is it just arrogant. 

Nice to see a number of the candidates vying to be the next tory leader have come out in support of Gove and like him have all reiterated  the Conservative's anti drugs policy. Shame that they've all also admitted, like Gove, to have at times partook in the use of illegal substances.

Besides the druggies, the tory party is full of MPs proven adulterous, fraudsters and liars. Where is the Conservative party of old and the principles it once stood by? The party that championed marriage, family and a prosperous nation for all.

These virtues disappeared during the Thatcher era, when their mantra became greed is good, when it became acceptable for the strong to exploit the weak.

51 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Nice to see a number of the candidates vying to be the next tory leader have come out in support of Gove and like him have all reiterated  the Conservative's anti drugs policy. Shame that they've all also admitted, like Gove, to have at times partook in the use of illegal substances.

Besides the druggies, the tory party is full of MPs proven adulterous, fraudsters and liars. Where is the Conservative party of old and the principles it once stood by? The party that championed marriage, family and a prosperous nation for all.

These virtues disappeared during the Thatcher era, when their mantra became greed is good, when it became acceptable for the strong to exploit the weak.

Or have the media just got better at exposing them than the media of old?

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Find me one person, anywhere, ever, in the history of the world that hasn't said something hypocritical.

I want someone in charge of the country based on their current policies and principles, I couldn't care less if they took drugs 20 years ago.

Fair point about the USA travel ban but pretty sure we both know it wouldn't happen.

I care that they are the party of law and order, fighting for stricter punishment for offenders, the party of zero tolerance on drugs - and hypocrites like "Beaky" Gove get to be excused. You think the tory party faithful would be as accommodating for a council estate youth? 

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I think before the end of summer there will be calls for a general election. Not sure how any of the candidates can command any authority in Brussels until they have one, that’s before you consider how will they command the House of Commons. Also you have to consider the DUP’s next move into all this.

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think before the end of summer there will be calls for a general election. Not sure how any of the candidates can command any authority in Brussels until they have one, that’s before you consider how will they command the House of Commons. Also you have to consider the DUP’s next move into all this.

Because of the Brexit party, a general election will just make things worse. We just need to leave the EU. The Conservatives won't call an election unless it meant they'd clearly win and have the backing of the Brexit party. 

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I would have thought it's acceptable anyway to dismiss what someone did in their younger days, afterall we are told we shouldn't judge corbyn and abbott for championing terrorists in their younger days so smoking a bit of pot shouldnt really even make the news.

I'm sure you understand that there is a distinct difference between the 2.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I care that they are the party of law and order, fighting for stricter punishment for offenders, the party of zero tolerance on drugs - and hypocrites like "Beaky" Gove get to be excused. You think the tory party faithful would be as accommodating for a council estate youth? 

Yes. 

If you don't think drug taking is rife amongst youth with authorities turning a blind eye to it then you live in a very different place to me.

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

Because of the Brexit party, a general election will just make things worse. We just need to leave the EU. The Conservatives won't call an election unless it meant they'd clearly win and have the backing of the Brexit party. 

But, for example, if Johnson goes for No Deal how can he go forward and say that it’s the will of the people he represents? Realistically no candidate can go and say that for any deal.

Any deal at this moment brought forward by an unelected prime minister would only bring more chaos because it would only feed one hand. It would be pretty dangerous in fact both in society terms but also in terms of party politics in the long term.

Surely the point whether the leadership winner destroys his party long term or short term?

Sith Happens
20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm sure you understand that there is a distinct difference between the 2.

Of course, smoking a bit of pot is insignificant compared with the other 

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes. 

If you don't think drug taking is rife amongst youth with authorities turning a blind eye to it then you live in a very different place to me.

Because they know it's an unwinnable war. But the tories keep bashing away with the same failed rhetoric, whilst simultaneously ignoring their own dictats. 

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

“We were in partnership with Super Deal tyres but the Brexit deal ruined that.

“They are a US company. Once Brexit was announced, they pulled away from the deal. We’ve been looking for a manufacturing base since then,” he explained.

Bears no resemblance? 

Yeah fair point.

Maybe the Americans should be given a second chance though because they can't have known what Brexit would have looked like back then!

Just now, Paul71 said:

Of course, smoking a bit of pot is insignificant compared with the other 

It makes me laugh that people think there's a solution to these big issues that don't involve talking to both sides. Without it we'd still have partition in Ireland and the occasional terrorist atrocity. We'll keep on with military action, innocent lives lost and no end in sight until we acknowledge both sides. 

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah fair point.

Maybe the Americans should be given a second chance though because they can't have known what Brexit would have looked like back then!

Still wondering how you read that and thought, what's Brexit to do with that? 

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Besides the druggies, the tory party is full of MPs proven adulterous, fraudsters and liars..

Oh come on. The Labour party is full of speed ban dodging, anti-semetic, adulterous, deceiving......

Oh yeah, they are both as bad as each other. And this country and everyone it deserves better than both.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Oh come on. The Labour party is full of speed ban dodging, anti-semetic, adulterous, deceiving......

Oh yeah, they are both as bad as each other. And this country and everyone it deserves better than both.

Yup, what we get however is career politicians desperate to stay in power at any cost;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7119835/MP-Chuka-Umunna-stand-Liberal-Democrats-safe-Labour-South-London-constituency.html

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

But, for example, if Johnson goes for No Deal how can he go forward and say that it’s the will of the people he represents? Realistically no candidate can go and say that for any deal.

Any deal at this moment brought forward by an unelected prime minister would only bring more chaos because it would only feed one hand. It would be pretty dangerous in fact both in society terms but also in terms of party politics in the long term.

Surely the point whether the leadership winner destroys his party long term or short term?

Most people who voted remain don't vote conservative and wouldn't vote for him. But they need not worry about what 48% of the voting population care for, it's that simple. General elections are first past the post. The parties to the left of the political spectrum performed quite poorly in the 2017 General election, and Labour gobbled up the vote. It strikes me that the next election will see voters going back to the likes of the SNP, Lib Dems, Greens, etc. On the back of the UK leaving the EU, that is. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Still wondering how you read that and thought, what's Brexit to do with that? 

One comment from the guy blaming it on Brexit when there seemed to be other factors involved.

Seems that the plans were very ambitious (mentioned twice), the company has ended up in administration, the plans were put together in 2016 which is when the vote actually took place (were they not aware it was taking place?!), manufacturing is taking place in China, they've now opened the factory in Italy which is a country currently in a lot worse state than we are.

Afraid it does not add up for me.

Archived