The Politics Thread 2019

Day

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Oh come on. The Labour party is full of speed ban dodging, anti-semetic, adulterous, deceiving......

Oh yeah, they are both as bad as each other. And this country and everyone it deserves better than both.

Yes you're correct in stating both parties have some unsavoury MPs.

At the moment there's only one party holding a contest to elected a new leader. The winner will be a person who will have a large influence in the decisions made about our nation's future. So it's not just the political leaning but also the moral character of who will by default become the next Prime Minister of our country, that worries me. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel a bit sorry for Gove. He's clearly an unpopular and snivelling little cretin, and his drug taking would clearly be an attempt to fit in to the world of journalists who were all on coke anyway. Your Tory party member probably quite likes reading about more gang deaths too.

Johnson has already committed much worse sins than Gove, deliberate and malicious acts that surely everyone knows about by now. And I would like to know why Amber Rudd said on live tv that he is the sort of person you wouldn't like to go home in a taxi with. What is the story behind that fairly obvious accusation?

Trump makes the pair of them look like saints. The world is screwed.

5 hours ago, Norman said:

Oh come on. The Labour party is full of speed ban dodging, anti-semetic, adulterous, deceiving......

Oh yeah, they are both as bad as each other. And this country and everyone it deserves better than both.

You forget the killer blow - Labour has a black woman MP who once drank an M&S Mojito on a train. Everything any Tory does pales into insignificance alongside that.

35 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Johnson pledging to cut taxes for high earners to get to be PM. How about free private health, no car tax and treble child benefit for all Tory party members too?

He should form a strategic alliance with Corbyn and they could share the same money tree.

Failing that he could just put Dianne Abbot in charge of the numbers.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

One comment from the guy blaming it on Brexit when there seemed to be other factors involved.

Seems that the plans were very ambitious (mentioned twice), the company has ended up in administration, the plans were put together in 2016 which is when the vote actually took place (were they not aware it was taking place?!), manufacturing is taking place in China, they've now opened the factory in Italy which is a country currently in a lot worse state than we are.

Afraid it does not add up for me.

He's the founder of the company, not "one comment from the guy blaming it on Brexit".

"Once Brexit was announced, they pulled away" - so before Brexit, they weren't pulling away.

I seem to recall that Brexit will be all upsides and no downsides - we hold all the cards. Now Brexit supporters are saying "were they not aware it was taking place?" - are you now saying it was a bad decision to plan for the future when Brexit could cause all sorts of negative impacts?

Why would they move to Italy if it's a country currently in a lot worse state than we are? Doesn't that tell you a lot about our potential future if some investors would rather go to Italy, a country currently worse off than we are?

Adds up to me, and it doesn't make positive reading. 

16 hours ago, Archied said:

Or have the media just got better at exposing them than the media of old?

I think there has always been a tacit agreement in the traditional media (where drug-taking is endemic) that they don't generally out figures of power for drug-use. Those in glass houses and all that. Plus they probably all share the same dealer/supply network so they know they would be pretty stupid to do so.

What we're seeing here in the "Prospective Tory Leader Drug-Off" is all the candidates running scared of their rivals playing dirty and leaking stuff on social media - so they are getting all their dirty laundry out there quick. The way the Gove story was presented was more like a serialisation of a politician's autobiography than the usual tabloid-esque smear campaign. This is still a classic example of the powerful using their power to control the media narrative

28 minutes ago, eddie said:

The sunlit uplands promised by Tory Brexiteers now amount to tax cuts for the rich.

...paid for by using the contingency money designed to ease the pain of a no deal brexit.

A horrible policy and clearly in desperation to shore up the Brexit Party induced failing Tory support.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

...paid for by using the contingency money designed to ease the pain of a no deal brexit.

A horrible policy and clearly in desperation to shore up the Brexit Party induced failing Tory support.

It's a scam, targeted specifically towards the Tory membership to buy their votes for Boris. It's also approximately 50% of his famous £350m a week for the NHS.

They are a party motivated entirely by greed.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

He's the founder of the company, not "one comment from the guy blaming it on Brexit".

"Once Brexit was announced, they pulled away" - so before Brexit, they weren't pulling away.

I seem to recall that Brexit will be all upsides and no downsides - we hold all the cards. Now Brexit supporters are saying "were they not aware it was taking place?" - are you now saying it was a bad decision to plan for the future when Brexit could cause all sorts of negative impacts?

Why would they move to Italy if it's a country currently in a lot worse state than we are? Doesn't that tell you a lot about our potential future if some investors would rather go to Italy, a country currently worse off than we are?

Adds up to me, and it doesn't make positive reading. 

He's the founder of a company that had an over ambitious plan from the sound of the story.

I don't think I've ever seen one person ever saying Brexit will be all upsides and no downsides but happy to review any examples you have of this.

No the move to Italy does not tell me anything about our potential future. I'd prefer to listen to what Donald Trump was saying last week rather than one man from Carlisle who previously moved his manufacturing to China.

Well I'm the founder of my company and since Brexit I've taken on lots of new clients so I'm going to say that's all down to Brexit, hopefully that's positive reading?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don't think I've ever seen one person ever saying Brexit will be all upsides and no downsides but happy to review any examples you have of this.

I've not seen one person. I've seen loads of them:

"There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" -David Davis, 10 October 2016

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards" - John Redwood, July 17 2016

"The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want" - Michael Gove, 9 April 2016

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" - Liam Fox, 20 July 2017

Just as an example.

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I've not seen one person. I've seen loads of them:

"There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" -David Davis, 10 October 2016

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards" - John Redwood, July 17 2016

"The day after we vote to leave, we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want" - Michael Gove, 9 April 2016

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" - Liam Fox, 20 July 2017

Just as an example.

OK, I apologise. 1 person did say it would be all upsides.

39 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Woohoo, 10 hour working week.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7120817/Labour-plans-bring-10-hour-week-tackle-climate-change.html

Oh wait, 75% less pay. 

Who says Labour don't know how to run the economy!

Wow - I hope you're joking here, because you consistently paint yourself as someone who "does his own research" and "questions mainstream media bias" - but what you have done here is literally post a link to the Daily Mail and then followed it up with the exact response that they were trying to elicit

If you actually read the bones of the article and  ignore the spin then the following becomes clear

1) The report has been written by an independent research organisation who are absolutely nothing to do with the Labour Party

2) The report mentions 4 days a week but explicitly says "for the same pay". The whole premise being that studies show no loss of productivity, yet boosts to mental health, and lowering of emissions. I can't find any mention of "10 hours a week on 75% less pay" in the report. So where has that ludicrous headline come from?

3) It's pretty clear that this is a research report and not a Labour policy. All that seems to have happened is that Clive Lewis has said it's interesting and the type of thing we (as a society) need to investigate if we're going to save the planet. 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

OK, I apologise. 1 person did say it would be all upsides.

If you're looking for direct quotes, only the person who led the negotiations said that. The person who was in charge. The other quotes from senior figures in the conservative party strongly implied it. 

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

If you're looking for direct quotes, only the person who led the negotiations said that. The person who was in charge. The other quotes from senior figures in the conservative party strongly implied it. 

No, the prime minister is, and always has been in charge, hence why Davies left his post.

I don't see anyone strongly implying all upsides.

Free trade deal to continue with South Korea I see, maybe there will be some upsides...not the apocalypse predicted by Remainers. I thought these trade deals would take up to 10 years to sort?

20 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Wow - I hope you're joking here, because you consistently paint yourself as someone who "does his own research" and "questions mainstream media bias" - but what you have done here is literally post a link to the Daily Mail and then followed it up with the exact response that they were trying to elicit

So what you're saying is not everything I read in the media is true?!?  Damn, better stick to reading The Guardian, they never let me down.

Archived