Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Oh definitely, why would you rule out a job as a manager? It's a career, why would he rule out moving to a bigger, more prestigious club, which he so happens to be a legend at. It would be stupid. 

And even if he didn't want the job, why should he make a statement? It's been a matter of hours since Sarri left but it's been dragged out to what seems like a lifetime because of social media. And yet it's the old bar stewards who are losing their heads!

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

And even if he didn't want the job, why should he make a statement? It's been a matter of hours since Sarri left but it's been dragged out to what seems like a lifetime because of social media. And yet it's the old bar stewards who are losing their heads!

Guess for younger people like us it's kinda what we're used to. It's the way football is now, but in the past blind loyalty (stupid) in football was a thing. Definitely made worse by social media peddling rumours 24/7, even if Frank gave a statement, 2 days later somebody would demand he makes another because ''clearly by this wording he doesn't mean it and he's off anyway'' and then the circus begins again. How many times did Mac deny the Newcastle link...

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Bloody hell, I didn't expect to be the one saying this seeing as I've grown up in this environment, but so many are overacting because of the social media age that we live in. How long has it been since Sarri went, six hours? And you're screaming at Frank for not publicly ruling out the Chelsea job, just because journalists have been reporting that Chelsea are interested. 

We don't know if Chelsea have contacted him. We don't know if he's interested. I'd imagine that they have, and that he is, but why is that a problem? From the day that he joined, we knew that he'd leave for Chelsea if they came in for him. Why wouldn't he? You wouldn't begrudge Davies, Clough, McClaren, Clement, Pearson or Rowett moving to a club playing Champions League football, so why Frank?

I'm seeing middle-aged men throwing a paddy because he's not come out and declared undying loyalty to Derby, despite Sarri leaving literally a few hours ago. Of course he's going to talk to Chelsea if they want him. He'd be an idiot not to and, even if he didn't want the job (highly unlikely), he'd at least give them the time of day because he's a legend at the club. 

You're deluded if you believe that episodes of years gone by, such as Brian Clough's resignation, weren't dragged out and considered over a long period of time. You just didn't have the likes of Rob Dorsett tweeting every three hours about the disagreements with Longson.

Some of you have lost your heads and, quite frankly, it's embarrassing. 

The only embarrassing thing on here is the rose tinted spec wearers who think FL walks on water. As for saying its only 6 hours since Sarri went this has been going on for days , why shouldn't he come out and show loyalty to Derby he is still our manager or let Mel appoint a manager committed to Derby

55 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

People will see this as Mafia being Mafia..... but why is our owner validating this Chelsea talk without any official approach.... think sometimes it’s best to keep quiet, think as a club, we’ve done pretty well with the media and fan frenzy until today.

0A64CD11-EE3E-4898-BA60-FF6EC34F1291.png

Stop being Mafia, Mafia.

In all the weeks of this we've had two comments (I think) from DCFC, both from Mel - one to say that we've had no official approach from Chelsea, and this one.

This one is interesting for what it doesn't say as well as what it does say. It doesn't say that there's been any approach from Chelsea for them to talk to Frank. Perhaps that's irritating Mel; perhaps he wants this sorted quickly so that he can get on with replacing Frank if he has to.

But it's also putting pressure on Frank, telling him that he's still wanted at Derby and it's telling the fans that work continues towards the new season. Mel has reached the point where he feels he has to say something and this is about as well judged a statement as you could wish for.

In the end the final decision is Frank's. Mel does right to make it harder for him. But if Chelsea know they already have Frank's assurance that he will come then it is in their interest to string it out, put the pressure on us to accept less by way of compensation as the season gets nearer and we get more desperate. Marina and Roman are tight fisted, hard negotiators and their hand is probably stronger.  If Frank still hasn't given any commitment to Chelsea though then Mel is right to remind him that we want him to stay.

5 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

The only embarrassing thing on here is the rose tinted spec wearers who think FL walks on water. As for saying its only 6 hours since Sarri went this has been going on for days , why shouldn't he come out and show loyalty to Derby he is still our manager or let Mel appoint a manager committed to Derby

And you think it would be respectful and in the spirit of the game if Lampard had commented on the Chelsea job whilst Sarri was still manager? Or that he's a traitor unless he has absolutely zero interest in managing Chelsea? Wouldn't any Championship manager be interested in hearing what a Champions League club has to say to them? I guarantee you, if we appointed Lee Bowyer, Chris Hughton or anybody and Spurs came calling the next day, they'd be off like a shot.

And for what it's worth, I don't think Lampard walks on water.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

How can you not understand it? Nobody likes to be used as a stepping stone, nothing wrong with it, anybody would do it, but you shouldn't expect respect from the club you used to build you up.

I think there would be more sympathy for the club if Frank wasn’t our sixth permanent boss in five years and eighth manager of any description in the same period.

I think Frank is well within his rights to go for a bigger job, especially if it’s his dream job. I guess it’s just the fact that he is jumping at the first opportunity and leaving a job unfinished that will upset people.

Personally I think we can have no complaints. We, as a club, have to practise what we preach. We can’t expect loyalty, patience and respect to the club from our manager, if all too often we have been guilty of not giving the same loyalty, the same respect, the same patience to the man in charge.

While I agree Frank would gain more respect from the fans and show great integrity by resisting Chelsea’s advances, staying at the club and guiding us to promotion, football is too ruthless, too much of a business for that to really happen.

For me, if he wants to go, let him go. Yes, we might not be hitting the headlines as much once he leaves, but it’s better to have someone who wants to be here, someone who wants to progress and grow with the club, than merely seeing us as a brief stepping stone to the top.

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You need to take a chill pill,finish up having a conary.By the way i am not a bar steward,never worked behind a bar

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I think there would be more sympathy for the club if Frank wasn’t our sixth permanent boss in five years and eighth manager of any description in the same period.

I think Frank is well within his rights to go for a bigger job, especially if it’s his dream job. I guess it’s just the fact that he is jumping at the first opportunity and leaving a job unfinished that will upset people.

Personally I think we can have no complaints. We, as a club, have to practise what we preach. We can’t expect loyalty, patience and respect to the club from our manager, if all too often we have been guilty of not giving the same loyalty, the same respect, the same patience to the man in charge.

While I agree Frank would gain more respect from the fans and show great integrity by resisting Chelsea’s advances, staying at the club and guiding us to promotion, football is too ruthless, too much of a business to really see that happening.

For me, if he wants to go, let him go. Yes, we might not be hitting the headlines as much once he leaves, but it’s better to have someone who wants to be here, someone who wants to progress and grow with the club, than merely seeing us a brief stepping stone to the top.

Agree with most of this, especially the bolded bits, if Frank wants to go, then he should go, if he gets the approach it'd be a completely logical and understandable decision, one that most of us would make. That being said, and the issue I have with it, is I won't wish Frank well, or respect him or anything along those lines, not because of loyalty nonsense, but purely because as soon as he stops managing us I no longer care about what he's up to, I'll just move on to the next manager, no issues.

I disagree with the sentiment that he did this great job for us and we were lucky he managed us at all etc kind of reasoning, he came in, he was decent, and if he leaves that's that, not that arsed.

10 minutes ago, Andicis said:

How am I raking him over the coals, please point out where I've done that. Mel wouldn't have made a statement if it was just about the Chelsea fans, there is clearly more to it, and I'm not going to play dumb on that. All I said was, if he wants to treat us as a stepping stone, upon leaving he shouldn't expect respect from our fanbase, which is a reasonable take. So yeah, you should work on understanding people and not putting words in their mouths.

Ease off there my huffy friend. My apologies. I assumed your assumption of Frank leaving, and your subsequent position that he’s using this club as s stepping stone, and as such folks have the right to be upset with him( all before anything has happened or has been said) was your attempt to prematurely rake him over the coals.  My mistake. I’ll let you get back to sharping your pitch fork. Best 

coyr

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Guess for younger people like us it's kinda what we're used to. It's the way football is now, but in the past blind loyalty (stupid) in football was a thing. Definitely made worse by social media peddling rumours 24/7, even if Frank gave a statement, 2 days later somebody would demand he makes another because ''clearly by this wording he doesn't mean it and he's off anyway'' and then the circus begins again. How many times did Mac deny the Newcastle link...

There is no doubt that Chelsea hold Frank in high regard so who is to know that they have had a word to him telling him to take no notice of the rumour but unfortunately we dont think you are quite ready?

1 minute ago, Hanny said:

Ease off there my huffy friend. My apologies. I assumed your assumption of Frank leaving, and your subsequent position that he’s using this club as s stepping stone, and as such folks have the right to be upset with him( all before anything has happened or has been said) was your attempt to prematurely rake him over the coals.  My mistake. I’ll let you get back to sharping your pitch fork. Best 

coyr

Apologies on the overly defensive response. But no, it's not raking him over the coals. I understand why he'd leave, and I don't blame him, I'd do the same to us and I support Derby. Just don't think we owe him any respect or anything like that if he leaves. If he does go, then fine, but he doesn't get any more respect than any of our other old managers for me.

1 minute ago, TommyPowel said:

There is no doubt that Chelsea hold Frank in high regard so who is to know that they have had a word to him telling him to take no notice of the rumour but unfortunately we dont think you are quite ready?

No clue, unfortunately none of us are privy to this kind of info, so I wouldn't want to assume without anything behind it.

As much as I'd love for that to have happened, it'd have been a great chance for Frank to come out and say "I'm staying, I have a contract and I'm here to continue my plan." That way Frank knows his future and he's pleasing Derby fans.

Just now, Andicis said:

No clue, unfortunately none of us are privy to this kind of info, so I wouldn't want to assume without anything behind it.

Exactly nobody knows yet here we are on page 186 of this post,But tell me this why start to negotiate a new contract if he has no intention of honoring it?

Exactly nobody knows yet here we are on page 186 of this post,But tell me this why start to negotiate a new contract if he has no intention of honoring it?

Stuff changes. Obviously the proof is if he signs it, then we know he's staying, but negotiating a contract doesn't mean you're staying.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Apologies on the overly defensive response. But no, it's not raking him over the coals. I understand why he'd leave, and I don't blame him, I'd do the same to us and I support Derby. Just don't think we owe him any respect or anything like that if he leaves. If he does go, then fine, but he doesn't get any more respect than any of our other old managers for me.

I totally agree.

I don’t think Lampard will be held in high regard and remembered with any particular fondness if he leaves in this way - at the first time of asking and without having finished the job.

Some people wanted to see a statue of him outside Pride Park after Leeds away. But when the dust settles, most people will see he has done a fairly good job, comparable with Rowett, Wassall and McClaren in the last five years, but to give him any more credit than that is stretching the truth to its absolute limits.

What was exciting about having Frank in charge was the prospect of year two and year three - longevity, stability, growing with the club, building affection, evolving as a coach and as a manager and learning from his mistakes and implementing those lessons on and off the pitch.

Without any of that, what will he really leave behind?

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I understand the frustration with the situation. I just don’t like when folks get revved up before something happens. Again, sorry that I happened to land on your post(it’s not just your opinion). 

Like I’ve said in past posts- it’d be great if Frank stays, but I just want any manager to stick around for a few years. That’s my main frustration. 

Approximately 13mins in, I still take him at his word for now as we've repeatedly said no official approach, no change. My displeasure isn't so much with Frank, but the constant hammering of the media and the way it's being conducted. 'IF' and I do mean 'IF' as a lot of people suspect it's being conducted surreptitiously and our club is being disadvantaged because of the disruption it causes to our preparations and signings for the following year, we have ever right to feel aggrieved.

Most of us just want some stability either with or without him so the team can build and hopefully play some attractive football.

Unfortunately we have this ducking circus continuing. It needs resolving quickly hence Uncle Mel's statement earlier today to reiterate our position and hopefully jiggle things along. Pre-season looms and we have a threadbare squad, wouldn't we all be rather talking nonsense about the next signings?

Archived