Extended contract for Huddz

Animal is a Ram

11 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Reported by who? The club didn't make that statement and neither did Hudds.

You might find it ridiculous, but it's not half as ridiculous as people posting speculation as a fact.

Unfortunately i can't remember the sources and authors of articles from 2 years ago but i will have a trawl of the internet for some stuff later. That aside, we know due to reports in the media and during transfer windows which players at which clubs are towards the top of the wage bill and bottom (e.g Cole, it was reported he was only on 6'000 ish a week at LA Galaxy due to the wage structure there). You can also assess the context of the transfers etc. If we signed two players, one an established premier league player and one a young prospect from league 2, just because the club doesn't announce the signing alongside an exact breakdown of their earnings that doesn't mean everyone can't deduce whose on the bigger wedge. 

But if you want to think there's a chance that Hudds, having had some good years in the premier league and regarded as a very good player when we signed him, is actually earning below average at the club then feel free. I will have a look for that article. 

If he is earning 10p and a bag of crisps a week then i'm fully behind this extension - but he isn't. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Have been reading Simon Jordan’s auto recently and he mentions in it how agents like to put in incremental rises in wages spread across the lengths of the contract. Jacob Butterfield is no doubt earning a lot more now than when he first signed!

Incremental rises seem reasonable in order to keep pace with inflation. I'd hate to see any footballer face financial difficulty due to lack of annual pay rises. 

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Incremental rises seem reasonable in order to keep pace with inflation. I'd hate to see any footballer face financial difficulty due to lack of annual pay rises. 

Don't forget it's a short career too.

They couldn't possibly be expected to earn a wage once they've retired in their mid 30's, by changing jobs etc.

Was hoping to see the back of a midfield player who is so slow and immobile, HGV's have a better turning circle. His marking and tackling are poor and he either loses the opponent or fouls them when challenging for the ball. As for his reputation of being a great passer of the ball, most of his passes are backwards to Keogh or to whoever passed the ball to him originally. One worldie pass every so often doesn't warrant his place in the team or a years extension to his contract.

I've always been a fan of Huddlestone but given the lack of mobility in our current midfield and the way Lampard seems to be wanting to play I feel he's part of the problem, more often than not slowing things down. It's not his fault that we don't have quality runners from midfield - if we did then he has the passing ability to find them.

Nevertheless, extending his contract makes sense. If we can add a couple of the right type of players in the Summer window he could be key but it also strengthens our position in any potential transfer interest, although at 32 that might be limited.

33 minutes ago, cannable said:

Meh, people think he’s something he’s not because he’s big and can pass. 

Doesnt control games and doesn’t screen  notably well. 

Needs players to do the dirty work for him so he can just create from deep.

And the players who can just do the dirty work need someone who can sit deep and create ?  

its a fine balance 

2 hours ago, ossieram said:

I think this has been triggered by the number of games he's played this season, so you could say he's earned it.

Don't remember that being said when Bent and Baird got their contract extensions! In this case however I don't have a problem with him getting another year. He's not a world beater, but on his day he's still one of the best passers around.

Not a huge fan of huddz and it won't help towards reducing wages but at i stated recently, this is could be a pragmatic option.

We can't afford the fee to sign a replacement; there may be some ffp benefit in spreading the write off over two seasons instead of one; and its not a long term commitment; etc etc.

treading water......but maybe a sensible option.

Sith Happens

Yep its good news. I would prefer a fit George Thorne but sadly the chances of me finding margot robbie naked in my shower seem to be higher than that. ?

Slightly disappointed. I don't think he's the answer in a promotion winning team and hasn't warranted this extension in my opinion by the quality of his play. Isn't suited to Frank's style of fast-flowing football. Which means he'll be an expensive sub. 

Only been much use against the poorer teams this season and teams who don't close him down. 

Equally not the worst player to have around and on his day can be fantastic. 

18 minutes ago, Rammed79 said:

There are younger, hungrier players out there that could be just as effective if not better for a fraction of the cost imo.

Unfortunately the 'choice' was made by whoever negotiated his contract - we learnt nowt from Bent obvs!

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I love all the comments about his contract and what it will "probably" be now...… not one person on this forum (with the exception of Mad Mel-and he probably doesn't know) has the tiniest of clue what Huddlestones contract used to be, is now or will be in the future, not the tiniest of clue......

Not a bad signing, nothing to get excited about though.

I have actually uncovered several tiny clues to help with assessing his Derby contract...

When we bought him he was a former England player, a former Premier League player and a current (sort of) Championship player at Hull. He was 30 years old so was likely to have quite a few good years left in him. We also paid a reasonable fee of £2m or so for him, which is a fair bit at that age. He has also been fairly highly rated wherever he has been in the past.

From these clues I can reasonably deduce that his market value was exactly £29,278 per week. Any deviation from this means that his agent is either brilliant or rubbish.

We’d all be crying next season when we’re 2-0 down at some rubbish promoted side & saying this game was perfect for huddlestone why did we let him go

Its a squad game, he offers something a bit different. Id rather have him at the club than not have him at the club.

Saying that there was interest in jan & if he does go this summer we’d get a fee for him rather than leave on a free.

Wouldn't he have just left for free at the end of this season if we didn't extend it? Maybe just a way of getting some kind of transfer fee for him?

Not complaining though - like him as a player. Will still be useful especially if we arent going to be buying many players in the near future.

Archived