Mel Morris to put the club up for sale SHOULD Derby fail to win promotion....

Ambitious

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Mike Ashley is the complete opposite of someone who is willing to spend cash. He runs Newcastle like any other company and tries to get them turning a profit even if that means they cant ever buy any players. Before the Jan transfer window of this year Newcastles record transfer fee was 16.5 mill they paid for Owen in 2005. Its Ashleys transfer policy that keeps seeing them relegated from the Prem.

Maybe if more football club owners took this stance then the game wouldn't have become the circus that it is today?

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe if more football club owners took this stance then the game wouldn't have become the circus that it is today?

I dont disagree that it is better to run a club sustainably. Running it with a profit is even better. 

However the way football is at the moment i do not believe you can do both. 

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I dont disagree that it is better to run a club sustainably. Running it with a profit is even better. 

However the way football is at the moment i do not believe you can do both. 

Me neither but I think the way Ashley has been crucified for his actions by so many of the people on the gravy train is laughable. 

Easy to sit in a studio spending other people's money! 

19 minutes ago, Dean_Saunders said:

Worry for me is that he will not want at all to keep chucking millions in every year (up to FFP limit) so our operating budgets will be going down year on year I think until we are breaking even.

The Americans tried this to the extent that we had the sixth lowest wage bill in the division and we were still losing over £7,000,000 a year. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

The Americans tried this to the extent that we had the sixth lowest wage bill in the division and we were still losing over £7,000,000 a year. 

Needs to be a bit of a balancing act though, cut the wage bill too much and the quality of entertainment will follow it on a downward spiral.

For how much we have increased the wage bill since the Clough days can you really argue that the entertainment has improved in line?

Think about the squad we had when Mac 1 was here and the way income increased after that first season, if it weren't for the mad spending spree I think our losses would probably less than that £7m.

Its getting a bit worrying. And a potential focus for the forthcoming fans forum. 

Particularly if the ownership of the stadium becomes seperated from the ownership of the club.

i wonder what Frank makes of it?

If you Google Keith wyness derby county there are a few links.

The Birmingham mail is fairly typical in stitching together lines from previous stories and adding a dollop of plausible speculation. 

So we've got.....

- mel's had a disagreement with the efl over TV deals => mel is believed to be disillusioned with football 

- dcfc losing £3m per month => mel believed to be looking to sell if we don't get promoted 

- Keith wyness bought several investors to Tony xia at villa => American invesor interest believed to have been introduced already 

So it looks as though mel has decided that the current business model is not sustainable but where we might end up is complete guesswork. 

19 hours ago, HantsRam said:

If you Google Keith wyness derby county there are a few links.

The Birmingham mail is fairly typical in stitching together lines from previous stories and adding a dollop of plausible speculation. 

So we've got.....

- mel's had a disagreement with the efl over TV deals => mel is believed to be disillusioned with football 

- dcfc losing £3m per month => mel believed to be looking to sell if we don't get promoted 

- Keith wyness bought several investors to Tony xia at villa => American invesor interest believed to have been introduced already 

So it looks as though mel has decided that the current business model is not sustainable but where we might end up is complete guesswork. 

This isn’t swiping at u bud, but the validity of the article 

3m a month ????

so we’re loosing 36m a year ?

and £108m per 3 year ffp cycle ....

what a load of tripe

didnt the club say we need to rebalance things, or that we’re close to FFp....

if we were losing that amount that isn't being close to ffp that’s being close to being wound up

i suggest the source of this (was it the daily mail originally) is about as close to the truth as I am to getting lucky with Michelle keegan 

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

3m a month ????

what a load of tripe

if we were losing that amount that isn't being close to ffp that’s being close to being wound up

i suggest the source of this (was it the daily mail originally) is about as close to the truth as I am to getting lucky with Michelle keegan 

Oh absolutely.  My little summery was simply illustrating how newspapers act to cobble together a "story" out of 1 new fact, plus a load of recycled guff that is a mish-mash of "facts" and previously aired supposition. 

No offence taken at all ?

38 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

3m a month ????

what a load of tripe

Certain expenditure is excluded for FFP purposes. 

Operating losses in the last accounts were close to £2m a month.

Not sure why so many think this story is so wildly exaggerated.

45 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

3m a month ????

what a load of tripe

You might have more chance with Kevin Keegan.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Certain expenditure is excluded for FFP purposes. 

Operating losses in the last accounts were close to £2m a month.

Not sure why so many think this story is so wildly exaggerated.

Ok but there’s a big difference between 3 and nearly 2m isn’t there 

all football clubs lose money and I’m sure Mel was more than aware of this when he took the job on.

hasnt he said he is open to outside investment ?

theres a big difference between looking for investment and selling the club 

a huge difference ... like one thing means one thing and the other means another 

just a bit of sensationalism journalism to shift a few papers and we’re about to go down the curmit unless we sell to any tom dick or harry that will have us 

I’m not worried I’m the slightest 

To reiterate so people can untwist their knickers

People keep saying about selling the club 

Mel has NEVER said he is looking to sell the club 

he HAS said that he is open to outside investment 

there is a massive different between the two 

massive

I think Mel would sell for the right offer, of course he would, I just don't think he's at the "gawd i want out of this a first viable opportunity" stage. He has met resistance with everything he's tried (expand Moor Farm, TV, etc etc) and he's spent lots without the team getting promotion.

I don't blame him if he's disillusioned.

Archived