Transitional season - who's buying it

Inglorius

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

A valid reason to mitigate the uneven levels of performance or a total excuse to cover up managerial and club deficiencies. Discuss.  

Fine for this season. Just will be tiring when the usual failure to meet season goals next season (as stated by the club, manager and players I may add) will be put down to another transition season due to squad overhaul. And if the manager gets poached or sacked repeat the mantra again. We're never not in transition. And that ii hardly atypical for a league where managers are lucky to get a season.

I can accept that it's a transitional season in the sense of we're trying to rebuild the squad and will unlikely be competing at the top, but it's such a poor thing to bring up in relation to recent performances. Even in a transitional season the results and levels of performance against the likes of Millwall, Bolton, Rotherham and Ipswich have been unacceptable

Yes and no,

I what it mostly is, is the club all trying to get the same hymn sheet for probably not making it up to manage expectations and fall out, so for a large extent it is just spin being put on the sate of things, which after looking promising seems to heading towards a bit of a drab ending.

However, we've been reasonably competitive and  there has been a fairly large turnover and another large turnover in the summer - SO yes, it's a transition season, but I feel it's more like preparing the ground for a more spendthrift couple of seasons.

12 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I don’t understand how a season where 3 of our best performers have been loanees and won’t be here next season can be termed a transition season...

Yes. If it was a transition season why not try out more of the youngsters and look for better value signings? It seems the 'transition' label is a late excuse. What is there to build on next season then?

14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Is the final number on each row your hangover count mate? ?

When we played Norwich last Feb we got away with a 1-1. From memory they were very impressive and we should have lost. Norwich’s form did improve to the back end of last season. I ain’t convinced that we are seeing the seeds sewn this season for next season with what we are currently seeing. 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes. If it was a transition season why not try out more of the youngsters and look for better value signings? It seems the 'transition' label is a late excuse. What is there to build on next season then?

I've been waiting to make the point that it looks like our u23s could be our template....wassall has been in charge for a while, so continuity. It's been built steadily with a core group of players being added to and incrementally improved through coaching. Now it seems to be bearing fruit with some impressive performances and results.

If we applied some similar principles to our first team maybe we'd get somewhere?

I was hoping we might see a few more youngsters getting some minutes by the end of the season and potentially being built around for the future. ?

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Ambrose and King silly ?

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I've been waiting to make the point that it looks like our u23s could be our template....wassall has been in charge for a while, so continuity. It's been built steadily with a core group of players being added to and incrementally improved through coaching. Now it seems to be bearing fruit with some impressive performances and results.

If we applied some similar principles to our first team maybe we'd get somewhere?

I was hoping we might see a few more youngsters getting some minutes by the end of the season and potentially being built around for the future. ?

And is this not our third season in this Under 23 league under the same management team? Perhaps that's the sort of timescale and stability that Frank or Norwich/Sheff Utd/Bristol City need

This cannot be classed as a transitional season, transitional means evolving/changing into something. At the end of the season we lose our 3 best players as well as shifting so much dead wood and we rebuild all over again.  Not so much transitional, mote a case of cross your fingers, hope for the best and if it does wrong, oops.

With so many new faces on the summer do the next 3 seasons become transitional again?

This season had been another missed opportunity, especially with no one still running away with it.

53 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

I don’t understand how a season where 3 of our best performers have been loanees and won’t be here next season can be termed a transition season...

If anything, with so many players out of contract in the summer, next season is the transition season. This season has been a missed opportunity...

I see this quite a lot on here.  It's not as if we cant get loans again next season  is it ? Just because they are going back doesn't mean that there are no more players that need loaning to championship sides next season. 

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

I see this quite a lot on here.  It's not as if we cant get loans again next season  is it ? Just because they are going back doesn't mean that there are no more players that need loaning to championship sides next season. 

Genuine question what is the point of getting loan players in for a season to then get another set of loan players in the next season and then a different set of loan players after that and so on

Archived