Transitional season - who's buying it

Inglorius

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Probably a clearing of the decks season 

This is how I see it and to be honest I’ve always seen this season.

Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United are all up there with sides that have changed very little from last season to this. That’s not to say they haven’t spent money, Leeds probably ended up spending £20 mill on Bamford and Douglas, but they aren’t necessarily signings that bring about a change of style or plan for what they were doing. A decent clear out in the summer, keeping a decent core squad and a couple of suitable signings will make all the difference from what we’ve had now.

Also think Mount and Wilson weren’t brought in to guarantee promotion, but  more to help transition into how Frank wants to play. So in theory it’s not a whole squad learning how to play a new way but you have a decent number who know their roles.

12 hours ago, plymouthram said:

...bringing in Evans, Malone, Marriott, Waghorn and Jozefzoon. You can argue that they are not good enough, but budgets will only allow certain standards of players. 

They cost a pretty penny between them, particularly Waghorn. How much should we have to pay then?! FFS.

16 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Also think Mount and Wilson weren’t brought in to guarantee promotion, but  more to help transition into how Frank wants to play. So in theory it’s not a whole squad learning how to play a new way but you have a decent number who know their roles.

They were brought in, as were the permanent signings to have a good go at top 6. 

34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They were brought in, as were the permanent signings to have a good go at top 6. 

Marriott and Holmes are getting used to the championship, they’ve both had seasons when they’ve been in and out

Malone, Josefzoon and Evans are treated as squad players.

Waghorn...possibly? But you can argue that both ways really because he’s still got 2-3 years at the top of his game. 

Mount, Wilson and Tomori came with very good reputations but it would have taken something truly special for them to spearhead a proper promotion push.

To look at the whole season with balance it’s just not quite been there yet. We’ve never performed consistently or really pushed on into any real form. We’ve done well in fits and starts, so when should a promotion push have been expected?

On 26/02/2019 at 22:06, lrm14 said:

especially when you consider the financial situation we were in at the start of the season.

What financial situation was that then? Please support with real evidence, not anecdotal please!

11 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Marriott and Holmes are getting used to the championship, they’ve both had seasons when they’ve been in and out

Malone, Josefzoon and Evans are treated as squad players.

Waghorn...possibly? But you can argue that both ways really because he’s still got 2-3 years at the top of his game. 

Mount, Wilson and Tomori came with very good reputations but it would have taken something truly special for them to spearhead a proper promotion push.

To look at the whole season with balance it’s just not quite been there yet. We’ve never performed consistently or really pushed on into any real form. We’ve done well in fits and starts, so when should a promotion push have been expected?

Were Malone, FloJo & Evans bought in as squad players? The three loans will transition to what next season, so why bring them in?

Waghorn is about a year older than Chris Martin and cost a lot more, was that necessary this season rather than say play Marriott, Bennett and Nuge?

It hasn't worked out (yet) this season, but no way did it start out as a transition.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Were Malone, FloJo & Evans bought in as squad players? The three loans will transition to what next season, so why bring them in?

Waghorn is about a year older than Chris Martin and cost a lot more, was that necessary this season rather than say play Marriott, Bennett and Nuge?

It hasn't worked out (yet) this season, but no way did it start out as a transition.

Re:squad players...yes and that is what has happened. Malone came in as competition for Forsyth, Josefzoon has been picked as a squad player and Evans when fit has flip flopped for that position besides Huddlestone and Johnson. So yeah I’d say they were.

The three loan players help you transition into how you want to play next season. Rather than going like Rowett did and bodging your way through a season you can sort your system out and who you can build your side around. Yes they need to be replaced but it means that Holmes etc have been able to have a season to settle into what they do. So when you sign Wilson’s replacement you are settling one player, rather than two into a role.

Point is perfection doesn’t happen overnight, even the Mac1 season was largely built from Clough the season before (introduction of Hendrick, Hughes, Martin/Forsyth on loan, Keogh) and was built upon by Clough in the summer. Don’t be surprised to see similar this year and wbt the end of summer we have a core of players kept from this season with a couple of strong additions and a more focused outlook.

My feeling is that we’ve been punching above our weight this season when you look at the composition of the squad.A few bright displays and victories raised some supporters expectations to a totally unrealistic level.An aged squad filled with several overpaid serial underperformers and 3 talented loanees was never going to be good enough to display a consistent level of ability ,durability and toughness required to get us out of this division.I never brought into the starry eyed welcome afforded to Lampard from fans who’d been used to sterile football under Rowett (which forced me away after 54 years of following the club) but I felt that he’d need at least two seasons to impose his stamp on the squad. I’m not sure the style of play he wants is right for this division but only time will tell.We Lack physicality ,pace,youth and ability in all areas and can only hope that the summer window addresses these issues.I cringe when I see the phrase “missed opportunity “ because,if we somehow made the playoffs I think we’d be embarrassed.Recent performances against poor sides have highlighted that a few injuries to better players leaves us vulnerable to the inadequacies of the “ old guard”.Summer should see a massive readjustment to the squad and ,personally,I wish we had Brentford’s recruitment set up! One thing’s for sure,it’s never been easy being a Derby fan but ,as ever,we live in hope of a better future.?

On 27/02/2019 at 13:55, Woodypecker said:

Whatever happens - status-wise as Championship club Prem - and hopefully with the same manager, summertime will be a REAL transition.  FFS, look at the players that will go (or need to go IMHO) and there will be one big overhaul:

Butterfield - agree get rid 

Johnson - agree get rid 

Martin - agree get rid (begrudgingly. I'll always love you Chrissy) 

Bryson - agree get rid (thanks for your service. (Time to be put to pasture) 

Thorne - agree get rid (sad its ended this way) 

Anya -- agree get rid - Top 5 worse signings in our history 

Olsson - agree get rid 

Forsyth- agree get rid 

Lowe- agree get rid 

Pearce- agree get rid 

Blackman - agree get rid 

Nugent- agree get rid 

Huddlestone - Keep 

Wisdom - Keep 

Bennett- On the fence nae bothered 

Davies - Keep 

Carson - Keep 

Cole - Probs get rid but still looks so composed and could be a positive influence to keep around. 

Keogh - Keep or Go could be good for both club and player 

Tomori - agree get rid, still don't think he's good enough 

Wilson -gone but would love to loan back 

Mount - gone- would love to loan back 

16 gone, keeping 5 and then Bennett in no mans land 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Malone - Signed as competition for Forsyth or Lowe, offering a reliably fit player. Lowe loaned out, Forsyth injured meant recruiting Cole to offer competition for the rest of the season.

FloJo - Lawrence was clearly first choice on the left, and Wilson was signed as first choice on the right. Therefore, FloJo signed as backup.

Evans - Injured on his debut, then took a while to return. Who knows whether he would have been first choice or not if it wasn't for the injury. Has been used primarily as backup/competition as the holding mid though.

?

In your opinion. However, in a lot of other fans opinion, this was viewed as a semi-transitional season. One where was try to implement Frank's style, clear out some of the 'deadwood', but still attempt to gain promotion.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In your opinion. However, in a lot of other fans opinion, this was viewed as a semi-transitional season. One where was try to implement Frank's style, clear out some of the 'deadwood', but still attempt to gain promotion.

? You'll get splinters! 

I'm sticking with Malone, Evans and FloJo were not signed as squad players. Holmes too? It's an attempt at top 6 and the difficult nature of that attempt has led to this sudden talk of 'transition' from FL. 

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Has FL been talking transition or is it us on here?

"The mandate when I came here wasn't promotion and play-offs, it was transition," Lampard said.

"When I walked in here it, we were selling Matej Vydra who scored 22 goals and we wanted to bring the age of the squad down, which was the oldest in the league. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47368928

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And here's a sample of what was being said back last summer....

"With the size of the club and the quality of the squad, and how close they were, getting to the play-offs, you have to say we are looking to go there again,” said Lampard. “I have set my aims to try to get there, even though it’s a difficult league and we are under no illusions.

“There is some change and evolving of the club that is going to happen in terms of the size of the squad, the youth we will try to get in, whether from within or from outside. Those are conversations that will start straight away. But whatever we do it will be done with the aim of trying to get promotion.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/31/frank-lampard-appointed-derby-county-manager-three-year-deal/

Couldn't find any quotes from Frank about transition as such from around that time although plenty of football writers pointed out the age of the squad and some alluded to Rowetts style not being popular. 

Archived