Christian Walton - Joined Blackburn

DCFC1388

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Why would Roos not sign a contract similar to what he already had?

Having now played regularly for some of this season as a championship starter he is in a position, and rightfully so, to demand a better wage than the contract he signed when he was 3rd/2nd choice keeper. 

He may want to play, and if we are looking to sign another keeper that is not guaranteed. 

41 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

No player should get that

This is true, but for keepers surely the situation is different. He may want to go somewhere where he is number 1, rather than a back up trying to force his way in. He's also 27 now, perhaps he doesn't want to be an understudy for his entire career if we sign another keeper. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Nixon suggesting today that Walton would cost around £3m and that we are still keen.

He also reiterated again that Brighton were keen on Bogle and might look for some kind of swap deal.

I’d hope not. We honestly can’t lose anyone that would be a nailed on starter. Bogle, as well as being talented, also carries very little FFP impact which isn’t to be overlooked. 

Walton is a decent keeper, mind. I do think £3m may be a bit rich for us to spend on a keeper though, especially with more pressing concerns. 

21 minutes ago, BodminRam said:

Ive seen this guy play a few times, and im not convinced he is better than what we already have, would much prefer to address the weakened mid field area.

If he was a loan because Carson was going, then that's fine. 3M (if true) could be spent elsewhere in areas we actually need it. I'm really concerned about our midfield and defence but there's still time to resolve that. 

We need cover at central defence and central midfield for me as it stands, now if we were selling Carson then it becomes a different conversation and apart from Dunk I wouldn’t really be wanting any of the Brighton players.

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

We need cover at central defence and central midfield for me as it stands, now if we were selling Carson then it becomes a different conversation and apart from Dunk I wouldn’t really be wanting any of the Brighton players.

Knockart? 

He's a good player with significant potential for development and resale value. Another one I could see costing £3m and going on to be sold for £7-10 if he performs to potential over the next 2 or 3 years. The only other option i would see as viable would be a loan for Fraser Forster. That would be great. 

Roos - not convinced

Mitchell - needs a full season on loan in League 1

Carson  - too many niggly injuries over the last 12 months. Still out best keeper though 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Goalkeeper is the last place we need to spuff money on we need CBs and wingers

Cb I agree but wingers... unless there is someone impressive like cavaliero we have an abundance. Loads of exciting youngsters in that position, Bennett and waghorn play there... not to mention lawrence and zoon as senior players. Still don’t think Anya is a terrible player and not well worth keeping in the first team picture for his versatility.

7 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Cb I agree but wingers... unless there is someone impressive like cavaliero we have an abundance. Loads of exciting youngsters in that position, Bennett and waghorn play there... not to mention lawrence and zoon as senior players. Still don’t think Anya is a terrible player and not well worth keeping in the first team picture for his versatility.

We really don’t have an abundance of wingers. We have an abundance of players who get shoved out on the wing but don’t really want to play there. 

And who are the loads of exciting youngsters? Michell-Lawson and?

our main exciting youngsters are midfielders (Sibley, Knight, Bird) But seems to be the position everyone is desperate to sign a player.

Cocu apparently likes quick wingers who take players on and put crosses in, that counts out most of our “wingers”. I will be amazed if we don’t at least sign one before the end of the window.

12 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

We really don’t have an abundance of wingers. We have an abundance of players who get shoved out on the wing but don’t really want to play there. 

And who are the loads of exciting youngsters? Michell-Lawson and?

our main exciting youngsters are midfielders (Sibley, Knight, Bird) But seems to be the position everyone is desperate to sign a player.

Cocu apparently likes quick wingers who take players on and put crosses in, that counts out most of our “wingers”. I will be amazed if we don’t at least sign one before the end of the window.

Definite first team wingers- lawrence - (he has not got the vision to play cam) he can do things through the middle but that’s as part of a fluid attack line to lose his marker

zoon- never really been proven one way or the other so why not, was rated at Brentford, lampard wanted him and so did bielsa...

Unlikely to leave so likely to come in from the cold- Anya - again why not... a decent player there and clearly has/had it. I think rumours of attitude or other things have swayed fans opinions about his ability. Scored in the friendly and it’s more feasible than Martin making it fully back in contention

Players debatably stronger in this position- Bennett- some of the assists he provided were valuable from wide last season and I don’t see him having the quality or goal scoring ability to play the striker role in a 433. With his pace he has the attributes to do well wide (not a traditional winger, more an inside forward) and his goal rate would mirror this.

Waghorn- I think his best role if the team is built around him is up front, but he isn’t our best player or even our best striker in my opinion (marriott). With marriotts pace to get in behind we saw last season waghorn could be more valuable than a pacey winger because he can win those flick ons to get marriott behind the defence.

holmes- assuming dowell will be a first man on the team sheet as cocus first signing and he will have loan clauses about playing. Does dowell, shinnie and Holmes as a midfield 3 lack the defensive physicality? Alternatively it will be Evans/huddlestone and 2 of shinnie, dowell and Holmes. Can see him pushed out wide where he looked capable last season as it doesn’t matter where he plays he just offers a great outlet to take the ball and drive forward.

youngsters- realistically we aren’t going to integrate 3 cms this season so I disagree looks like bird and knight by the training camp (and they look like different players). Not sure you could integrate Knight and sibley together this season if ever at championship level...

JML- very brief first team appearance but he didn’t run and hide and offers some direct, fast and explosive runs. Don’t see why he wouldn’t be given more of a chance this year and why would you want to block that path/opportunity.

other players- mcallister, Whittaker?

I personally am most excited from what I’ve seen of the academy by tyree Wilson. Got an eye for goal and pace. Looking at how he pays and his build I doubt he would make it as a championship striker (I think he would get bullied by the cbs in this league). I think he would do well in one of the wide roles of the 3. Reminds me a bit of Callum robinson in his first season for pne before we were firstbassociated/rumoured with him.

Archived