Southampton vs Derby FA Cup 3rd Round Replay match thread

RadioactiveWaste

Just now, Andicis said:

You're spot on. VAR was used pretty damn well at the world cup, we should have used the same here as was used there with the same rules around it. 

The ref at the game being unable to review it himself is a negative, imo.

At the World Cup, a couple of times, the VAR ref said "I think you got it wrong", they checked, and disagreed.

Being unable to do that is absurd. The ref on the pitch should always have the final say.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Blimey. Even Shearer is on our side.

He isn’t. If it was the other way, he’d be on Southampton’s side. He’s just a bitter old dinosaur who doesn’t want to see technology in our game. He’s had an agenda against VAR since the World Cup.

Just now, Richard246 said:

not from bogle not even mentioned how many times he gives the ball away hope Burnley are not watching.

And to make it worse looks like Redmond is coming on

So you've posted twice about the game, but only to moan about Bogle!

Just now, SaintRam said:

At the World Cup, a couple of times, the VAR ref said "I think you got it wrong", they checked, and disagreed.

Being unable to do that is absurd. The ref on the pitch should always have the final say.

Absolutely agree. But I cannot fathom how the official in a TV studio still makes the wrong decision when we can all see it. But the ref should surely be able to be a break on that and tell the studio bloke he's an idiot and it's impossible to call and the law is you give the benefit of any doubt to the attacking team.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Exactly, but no-one seems to be pointing this out as they’re all English FA yes men. Maybe they should be criticising the FA for not implementing it correctly as Fifa states, rather than criticising technology.

Here. He is offside 100%, but just the foot in it. Debate should be over the “clear and obvious rule”, not over whether he is offside or not.

as someone else has pointed out to me, it’s only the usable parts of the body that count. Waghorns foot is further forward than their player’s torso

51683015-8CD7-4ACE-B632-1DC7F71C2480.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Whether or not it was offside isn't the issue for me, it's how long the decision took. If it takes three minutes to make a decision then it's not clear enough to warrant a decision like that. You're holding up the game, killing the momentum and leaving the paying spectators sat there for minutes without any clue on what is happening.

I'm a fan of the idea of VAR, but it shouldn't be implemented in its current form. Why is it fair that it exists only in PL grounds? If we had scored that goal in the first game, it'd have stood, but because it's at a Premier League side then they warrant a more detailed inspection.

Exactly Kernow. It should only take a minute at maximum any longer it is not clear and obvious so the goal should have stood. 

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Screenshot_20190116-203524.thumb.png.50b21006b1bae0e5a32a50546f0e99e3.pngEvery TV pundit saying the goal wasn't offside and should have stood. Terrible decision. Meanwhile, here's the stats: 62% possession, 285 passes at 83% completion. Twice the number of shots and twice as many on target. 

Just furious at the VAR fiasco. 

As always @Carl Sagan a beacon of veracity in a desert of Var Horlicks. 

Archived