Watchable telly

dog

I have stumbled across, and just watched episode two, of an excellent series of one off British dramas on Amazon Prime from 2010 - 2012 called Accused. It’s not a court room drama but each episode seems to starts with an individual in court awaiting a verdict. The episode then goes on to portray the crime they are accused of and how/why it happened.

Great story lines so far and very well acted. First one starred Christopher Ecclestone and the second starred McKenzie Crook (from The Detectorists). I’d highly recommend it.

10 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I've been binging Guilt over the weekend. 

Done series 1 and 2. After a slowish start it has gripped me. Brilliant characters. 

I thought Season 1 was great, Season 2 seemed to get a bit over-complicated in places but was still good. Halfway through Season 3 yet and looks like it's building to a satisfactory ending ( I know there isn't going to be a Season 4 according to reports)

On 26/04/2023 at 12:47, Bob The Badger said:

About halfway through Beef on Netflix and really enjoying it.

It's been mentioned here before (forget who by now), but it's a quirky black comedy about an escalating conflict between a man and a woman after a road rage incident.

It's not very often that you see a US-produced programme that has Korean protagonists and I'm really enjoying it.

Some laugh-out-loud jokes and a very good observation of how something small can get out of hand.

I'm meh about Ali Wong as a stand-up, but I like her as an actor and the guy who plays her wimpy Japanese husband is very good.

Got that lined up next

On 26/04/2023 at 12:47, Bob The Badger said:

About halfway through Beef on Netflix and really enjoying it.

It's been mentioned here before (forget who by now), but it's a quirky black comedy about an escalating conflict between a man and a woman after a road rage incident.

It's not very often that you see a US-produced programme that has Korean protagonists and I'm really enjoying it.

Some laugh-out-loud jokes and a very good observation of how something small can get out of hand.

Watched episode 1 last night and it's definitely up my alley - does it deliver as a whole series, or just an interesting premise/plot that runs out of ideas?

American comedies aint funny to me but Modern family is one of my favorite programs. The episodes are short and iv just finished watching 11 seasons of it. and just started over again. Would recommend. Most of them are on Disney+

@Jimbo Ram and @Stive Pesley

There was a part in Beef about 2/3rds through where it seemed to present a natural end.

I was a bit irritated that they kept it going because it feel like they were on an episode count.

But you know those jokes that are funny and then become less funny and then back to more funny with repetition, it was a bit like that that it picked up again.

I think maybe they missed out on an opportunity to make the tripping really, really funny, but it was still good.

Overall, it was a solid 7.

19 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

American comedies aint funny to me but Modern family is one of my favorite programs.
The episodes are short and iv just finished watching 11 seasons of it. and just started over again. Would recommend. Most of them are on Disney+

Yikes!

I get that because they are usually written by committee they don't have the uniqueness of Monty Python, Fleabbag or Black Adder, but they make some outstanding comedies.

Veep, Curb Your Enthusiasm, M.A.S.H., The Simpsons (first 20 years), Taxi,  Family Guy, Soap, and Police Squad were all incredible.

I never watched Seinfeld, but people who I have similar tastes to love it, the same goes for Friends and Sex & the City.

30 Rock and Parks and Rec were super popular too, but again I just never watched them and am not really sure why.

I do *tend* to prefer UK stuff because it's usually edgier, but there is so much diversity with US humour that my *guess* is you're missing out on a lot of stuff you'd love.

I did NOT want to watch The Diplomat and after the first episode with the guy who looks like Lovejoy overacting his tits off, I wanted to watch it even less.

But Mrs Badger insisted and  4 episodes in it really has become very good. Largey on the back of an outstanding performance from Keri Russell as the US diplomat sent to be ambassador to the UK when she was hoping to go to Kabul.

But then a UK naval vessel is attacked close to Iran and it all gets a bit messy.

21 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

There was a part in Beef about 2/3rds through where it seemed to present a natural end.

I was a bit irritated that they kept it going because it feel like they were on an episode count.

But you know those jokes that are funny and then become less funny and then back to more funny with repetition, it was a bit like that that it picked up again.

I think maybe they missed out on an opportunity to make the tripping really, really funny, but it was still good.

Overall, it was a solid 7.

I thought the same, it started off good and towards the end it just got weirder. They probably could've ended it a few episodes before.

Edited by Jubbs

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yikes!

I get that because they are usually written by committee they don't have the uniqueness of Monty Python, Fleabbag or Black Adder, but they make some outstanding comedies.

Veep, Curb Your Enthusiasm, M.A.S.H., The Simpsons (first 20 years), Taxi,  Family Guy, Soap, and Police Squad were all incredible.

I never watched Seinfeld, but people who I have similar tastes to love it, the same goes for Friends and Sex & the City.

30 Rock and Parks and Rec were super popular too, but again I just never watched them and am not really sure why.

I do *tend* to prefer UK stuff because it's usually edgier, but there is so much diversity with US humour that my *guess* is you're missing out on a lot of stuff you'd love.

American humour is so far behind british humour. I like the simpsons ( not the newer ones as theyve become woke rubbish ahah) . Friends was good in places but the fake laughing trying to force humour for a lot of the episodes gets on my nerves. But modern family really does make me laugh. Very stupid and awkward but brilliant.

1 hour ago, CodnorRam said:

American humour is so far behind british humour. 

To say something is behind suggests it is inferior in some way.

And with something as subjective as comedy that doesn't really make any sense. It's like saying blue is an inferior colour to green or haddock is an inferior fish to cod.

The US had produced some of the greatest and most influential comedians in history, many of whom have heavily influenced UK comics.

My guess is that if you have found one you like there will be plenty of others that you just haven't seen yet because they are not mainstream enough to cross the Atlantic.