Watchable telly

dog

9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

As S3 is out, we went back and re-watched Happy Valley S1 & S2.

Then this week, now S3 is done* we got straight into that (2x E's per night was the plan)..

*Imagine our surprise then**, last night, when we went to go straight from E5 to E6, that there was no E6!  ?
A quick Google shows that's actually not on until tomorrow (Not last Sunday, as Muckerette thought). ?
It's very rare I watch any TV... and even rarer that I actually enjoy it as much as I have with Happy Valley... so when she manages to cajole me into it, I have to do it in mini-binges, otherwise I lose interest.

I've a good mind to deliberately miss the last episode, just to prove a point, and make Muckerette realise just how bloody frustrated I was last night!  I've already enquired as to how she intends to make it up to me! ?

** Grr!  Rage!  etc.   ?

I have an aversion to British based drama that the general public love. 

People who never watch anything with subtitles and are avid soap opera viewers don't carry much weight if I'm debating whether to follow their tip.

Line of Duty was the previous big one where I eventually gave in and watched it - I thought it was decent enough but I could have lived without it and I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone else as a must watch.

So I've been on the fence and seen a fair few say it's good who know their stuff on here too.

Yesterday the missus started watching it and she insisted it's so amazing we needed to watch the rest together.  So I've watched the first 2 episodes of series 1 to catch up with her.

I was pleasantly surprised but I wasn't desperately hankering for the next episode either.....Will stick with it!

8 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

People who never watch anything with subtitles and are avid soap opera viewers don't carry much weight if I'm debating whether to follow their tip.

Line of Duty was the previous big one where I eventually gave in and watched it - I thought it was decent enough but I could have lived without it and I wouldn't have recommended it to anyone else as a must watch.

So I've been on the fence and seen a fair few say it's good who know their stuff on here too.

Yesterday the missus started watching it and she insisted it's so amazing we needed to watch the rest together.  So I've watched the first 2 episodes of series 1 to catch up with her.

I was pleasantly surprised but I wasn't desperately hankering for the next episode either.....Will stick with it!

I totally agree with your comments about LoD... also my last "Big watch"!

Other than live footy and news, literally everything else has to have subtitles in our house, otherwise Muckerette refuses to watch it!   (Partly deaf, and also struggles with accents... British or International!)

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Same here.

I'd much rather watch foreign dramas (subtitles - never dubbed) and always enjoy them immensely. I don't know why British drama is such a turn off for me

Sometimes though I do wonder when I'm watching a foreign show, whether what I think is cool/quirky/interesting is just as bland to their natives

For example - have way through watching French police drama "Spiral" I suddenly stopped and thought...

am i just watching the French version of 'The Bill'? 

On 02/02/2023 at 11:18, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Lockwood and co on Netflix looks to be a very good prospect,I've watched the first episode and it's excellent.

Produced and directed by Joe Cornish (attack the block and Adam and Joe fame),it's a decent watch

Watched first two episodes based on your recommendation. Found it a bit Twilight / teen drama / Torchwood. Does it continue on the same vain?

23 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I must admit that Line of Duty did not live up the the hype, but the BBC did a brilliant job of marketing it.

Whereas LoD got worse and worse, Happy Valley has improved each series and I'm doing something tonight that I haven't done in years.

Having a wash.

Then I may even sit down and watch Happy Valley ayt 9 pm rather than wait until tomorrow night.

And that is biog for me because I'm usually tucked up in my sett by 10ish.

21 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Same here.

I'd much rather watch foreign dramas (subtitles - never dubbed) and always enjoy them immensely. I don't know why British drama is such a turn off for me

Sometimes though I do wonder when I'm watching a foreign show, whether what I think is cool/quirky/interesting is just as bland to their natives

For example - have way through watching French police drama "Spiral" I suddenly stopped and thought...

am i just watching the French version of 'The Bill'? 

Nah, Spiral was outstanding. The scriptwriting was of another class. 

One of the things that binds Spiral, Bosch and Happy Valley together is the way all of them would have random conversations that you were lulled into thinking were meaningful to the plot and really were just random conversations.

I also *think* that the actors in Spiral were allowed to ad lib at times. I haven't read that, but in later seasons it felt like that. Then again, like comedians pretending to corpse or get stuff wrong, it could have been written to appear that way.

Spiral is in my top 5 series of all time.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Nah, Spiral was outstanding. The scriptwriting was of another class. 

One of the things that binds Spiral, Bosch and Happy Valley together is the way all of them would have random conversations that you were lulled into thinking were meaningful to the plot and really were just random conversations.

I also *think* that the actors in Spiral were allowed to ad lib at times. I haven't read that, but in later seasons it felt like that. Then again, like comedians pretending to corpse or get stuff wrong, it could have been written to appear that way.

Spiral is in my top 5 series of all time.

I quite like the sound of this, but where can I see it?

Have Netflix, Disney, Apple , Now, and Prime, and can't find it ?

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

The one place I didn't think to look, as it's French.

So I've just searched for it using the iPlayer app on phone, and no mention of it. 

I'll try the app on TV later.

God knows what's going on because there are episodes on Prime that you have to pay for but it also looks like it's on Apple TV

But it does look like it's no longer available on iPlayer and we only finished watching it 3 or 4 months ago.

There are always deals on Apple TV, I've never paid for it and currently on a 6 month freebie via Sky. 3 months can always be had with a quick search.

https://tv.apple.com/gb/show/spiral/umc.cmc.2hcv5rv37j60joexpxqresqp1

I'd reccomend

On 04/02/2023 at 10:10, Chester40 said:

Line of Duty has gone one a couple of series too long, but not liking ANY British-based drama is a curious one.

The Shadowline? Broken? Time? Top Boy? Guilt? The Responder? All series in the last 10 years I enjoyed as much as most of the foreign-language and US series that are rightly lauded.

It's purely personal taste of course, but IMO there's good UK-based/produced stuff out there.

Spiral is brilliant BTW, I won't hear a word said against it  ?

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'd reccomend

Line of Duty has gone one a couple of series too long, but not liking ANY British-based drama is a curious one.

The Shadowline? Broken? Time? Top Boy? Guilt? The Responder? All series in the last 10 years I enjoyed as much as most of the foreign-language and US series that are rightly lauded.

It's purely personal taste of course, but IMO there's good UK-based/produced stuff out there.

Spiral is brilliant BTW, I won't hear a word said against it  ?

Top Boy may well be my favourite of all time, even ahead of Gomorrah  and Spiral.

Time and The Responder were excellent too. Don't know the others so I'm guessing they were out before we moved back to the UK. 

On 04/02/2023 at 10:10, Chester40 said:

I wouldn't say I've an aversion to British shows, but definitely prefer foreign. Over 75 % of stuff I watch subtitled. Mainly Korean, German, Russian, Spanish, Hebrew. 

I gave up on Line of Duty a long time ago. Happy Valley, I think I saw some shows of the first season. May try it again given the hype , but I'll struggle with it if it's one of those shows where every character is a basket case. 

Stuff like Top Boy, no matter how good it may be, I'm never going to watch it if I've no interest in the subject matter. 

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

God knows what's going on because there are episodes on Prime that you have to pay for but it also looks like it's on Apple TV

But it does look like it's no longer available on iPlayer and we only finished watching it 3 or 4 months ago.

There are always deals on Apple TV, I've never paid for it and currently on a 6 month freebie via Sky. 3 months can always be had with a quick search.

https://tv.apple.com/gb/show/spiral/umc.cmc.2hcv5rv37j60joexpxqresqp1

It’s on the iTunes Store for purchase, it’s not part of Apple TV+ subscription. It’ll just show up in the Apple TV app to buy. Confusing right?!

Not sure judging stuff on the country of origin, or whether it is well received by Joe Public makes a deal of sense. British TV, same as any country, offers good and bad output. Refusing to watch anything because of the country of origin is as closed-minded as refusing to watch anything with subtitles. I concede it's all about opinions, though I'm not sure how folk can form an opinion (or why they'd offer one) on shows they've never watched. 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

I've probably said it here before but I have an aversion to anything with a lot of hype around it.

We started to watch series 1 of Happy Valley when it was first shown but I just found it too miserable and gave up. We may have decided to have another run at it now it's finished - had I not switched over expecting to see the news at 10 last night & ended up timing it perfectly to see the big ending!.

Probably won't bother now.

3 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I wouldn't say I've an aversion to British shows, but definitely prefer foreign. Over 75 % of stuff I watch subtitled. Mainly Korean, German, Russian, Spanish, Hebrew. 

I gave up on Line of Duty a long time ago. Happy Valley, I think I saw some shows of the first season. May try it again given the hype , but I'll struggle with it if it's one of those shows where every character is a basket case. 

Stuff like Top Boy, no matter how good it may be, I'm never going to watch it if I've no interest in the subject matter. 

Not seen much in Italian? What about Gomorrah, Subarra and The Hunter? You don't know what you're missing. ?

Any recommendations for Spanish language programmes? I've tried a few but gave up on them fairly early on.