Watchable telly

dog

On 24/12/2023 at 12:18, therealhantsram said:

Just thinking back on the TV I've really enjoyed this year... and thinking about dicthing some of those streaming services 

Time, Blue Lights and Happy Valley - all BBC.
The Last of Us, Poker Face - Sky.
Slow Horses, Ted Lasso and Severance - all Apple.

Netflix and Disney - Dissapointing. You guys are facing the chop in 24.

Not seen the others but Last of Us and Severance were great. Another season of both has been approved.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is it better than season 2?

I ONLY stuck with that because of how good Oldman was. I can't stand Jack Lowden.

4 episodes into Kin and really starting to like it. Loved the pub shooting scene, it was like it had come straight out of The Sopranos.

@Anag Rami thought s2 and s3 were great,  of course it will be a personal choice but there is nothing to dislike in s3 if you like s2.  Latter part of S3 is much more gritty and a different pace to the others though.  Closer to the Spooks series’ on BBC

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is it better than season 2?

I ONLY stuck with that because of how good Oldman was. I can't stand Jack Lowden.

4 episodes into Kin and really starting to like it. Loved the pub shooting scene, it was like it had come straight out of The Sopranos.

Re Slow Horses.

I've watched all 3 series. I like the idea of it, and I like the overall feel of it, but ... .. .  

For me, it's totally ruined by the finale of each season. This descends into something that looks like a cross between a Bruce Willis film , or The A team. It's out of character with the rest of the show. The shoot out in the latest one, was so ridiculous, it didn't just ruin the last episode. They actually started that in the previous one !They must have run out of ideas or script. 

I also think the story lines are ridiculous, and the acting is not great either. Apart from Oldman of course, who is brilliant. The only thing that makes it watchable for me. Even though , left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't have bothered after the first series ( Mrs likes it). 

I'll watch series 4 no doubt. But pretty confident they'll ruin the end of that too. 

54 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Re Slow Horses.

I've watched all 3 series. I like the idea of it, and I like the overall feel of it, but ... .. .  

For me, it's totally ruined by the finale of each season. This descends into something that looks like a cross between a Bruce Willis film , or The A team. It's out of character with the rest of the show. The shoot out in the latest one, was so ridiculous, it didn't just ruin the last episode. They actually started that in the previous one !They must have run out of ideas or script. 

I also think the story lines are ridiculous, and the acting is not great either. Apart from Oldman of course, who is brilliant. The only thing that makes it watchable for me. Even though , left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't have bothered after the first series ( Mrs likes it). 

I'll watch series 4 no doubt. But pretty confident they'll ruin the end of that too. 

Agree the shoot out was utterly daft. Managed to suspend my disbelief long enough as if it were James Bond.

It’s never going to be believeable but it is great entertainment.

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree the shoot out was utterly daft. Managed to suspend my disbelief long enough as if it were James Bond.

It’s never going to be believeable but it is great entertainment.

Yes, entertainment. I've no problem with shows or films that are like the finale episodes of Slow Horses. They are what they are, and done well, it's great entertainment. 

I'd just prefer this show, not to go in that direction. It just seems out of sync with the other episodes. 

On 23/11/2023 at 15:06, NottsRam said:

Kin on BBC/iplayer.  Irish criminal family at war with other criminal gang.  2 episodes in, looks promising.

What did you think?

We're 6 episodes in, and I think it's effing brilliant.

Other than finally finding The Sopranos, It may be the best thing I've watched all year.

45 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I hear good stuff about Traitors from a LOT of people and I'm pretty sure it's on iPlayer, but I cannot summon up any enthusiasm to watch it. I'm not at all sure why.

I felt exactly the same, and only got around to watching it about two weeks ago. After the first episode, I was wondering how they'd manage to get 22 of the most annoying people you could imagine, all on the same show. 

Didn't like episode one, but thought they'd probably wasted most of that explaining who they were, so gave episode 2 a go. 

After that, loved it 😀, and its really not the sort of thing I like.

I like the way they tweak the rules as it goes on. 

I couldn't care less about the silly tasks they do each day. If I watch the next series, I'll probably just fast forward all that! 

The Fall Of The House Of Usher. Netflix

Trailer looked like it might provide the first decent scare since the original IT when I was too young to be watching it. 

Spent the first few episodes feeling betrayed that it's not scary. Then finally accepted it for what it is. Then began to think it's more suited to my Mrs (who likes You, Gossip Girl, Desperate Housewives). Then maybe the third to last episode had me hooked

The last couple of episodes are better than sitting through some of the awful overhyped films I've watched. 

Brought the whole thing together to be honest. I wish I'd stuck with Bodies now. I got similarly bored but didn't soldier on. 

Good solid 7/10 overall. Not scary though so don't be fooled. It's just gore. 

13 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Finished Kin last night. 10/10, fookin outstanding and so glad there's a 2nd season with a 3rd commissioned. Upo there with Top Boy and Gomorrah for me.

@Anag Ram - how did you get to see season 2, VPN?

Wow. High praise indeed.

Had already been told by a friend how good it was...so I'm definitely watching it next.

Almost finished Mr Inbetween.  Will keep recommending it to anyone who will listen.

Missed it earlier in the year (last year) but just watched Blue Lights - a 6 parter covering 3 probationers in the Belfast police force. No doubt there are comments back in this thread, but I would recommend for anyone who enjoys Line of Duty type series. Moving on to Kin now which my daughter tells me too is a very enjoyable crime suspense.

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Missed it earlier in the year (last year) but just watched Blue Lights - a 6 parter covering 3 probationers in the Belfast police force. No doubt there are comments back in this thread, but I would recommend for anyone who enjoys Line of Duty type series. Moving on to Kin now which my daughter tells me too is a very enjoyable crime suspense.

Blue Lights was very good, but Kin is better.