Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

Since I'm here I thought I'd chuck in a couple I'm watching:

Slow Horses (Apple) - a bit slow (sic) to this one but brilliant IMO, about a group of cast out MI5 spooks. Only watched S1 so far, and hoping S2 doesn't disappoint. Great cast, especially Gary Oldman.

Invasion (Apple) - Sci-Fi - more about the people than the aliens - enjoying this too, currently on S2E8. Has had mixed reviews (some saying too slow paced) but I don't think so. 

The Long Shadow (ITV/ITVX) - Focuses on the victims of The Ripper attacks of the 70s including some pretty bigoted views on women and highlighting the police's many failings . Compelling TV and def worth a watch. 

I thought Slow Horse was no more than pretty good, but Gary Oldman was phenomenal and it's worth watching just for him. If he doesn't win a BAFTA for that I'll be astounded.

On 12/10/2023 at 18:35, Bob The Badger said:

I thought Slow Horse was no more than pretty good, but Gary Oldman was phenomenal and it's worth watching just for him. If he doesn't win a BAFTA for that I'll be astounded.

Three episodes in. 

I'm not all-over the Gary Oldman angle but agree he does add a touch of class.

Suppose it's like 'Spooks' but much better or '24' but not American. 

Some of the witty, snipey comments are very funny but not sure if they will start to grate.

Good watch so far.

53 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Three episodes in. 

I'm not all-over the Gary Oldman angle but agree he does add a touch of class.

Suppose it's like 'Spooks' but much better or '24' but not American. 

Some of the witty, snipey comments are very funny but not sure if they will start to grate.

Good watch so far.

They started grating with me almost from the start. 😀

I watched both seasons, and even though overall I enjoyed them, I thought the endings of both were awful. 

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I liked Slow Horses quite a lot. Series 2 I thought was a step up too, but as Bob has alluded to, Oldman was made for this role (or vice versa) and that's enough to keep me hooked. 

Mick Herron has written a dozen or so books in the ’slow horses’ series - highly recommended. Have to say they’ve done a cracking job converting them for tv - though Oldman (as brilliant as he is) isn’t quite unpleasant enough (and doesn’t fart as much) to match the character in the books….

Edited by Gaspode

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

Mick Herron has written a dozen or so books in the ’slow horses’ series - highly recommended. Have to say they’ve done a cracking job converting them for tv - though Oldman (as brilliant as he is) isn’t quite unpleasant enough (and doesn’t fart as much) to match the character in the books….

He's still pretty grim, mind! 😂

Didn't know the series is an adaptation and might give one a go. Loved the genre since I was about 10 when my mum introduced me to Fleming and Le Carre.

On 08/10/2023 at 10:38, Bob The Badger said:

Top Boy final season.

Two decades late getting into the brilliant The Sopranos meant we're a tad late getting into this.

But, (top) boy was it worth the wait:

Colin Todd/10.

It may be my favourite British drama of all time.

Totally unapologetic with breathtakingly realistic dialogue (we watched the last two episodes with subtitles on and then still had to look up some words), and brilliantly paced. Sparkling script

Fabulous acting and plotlines that have no reason to be there other than life is like that, weird.

Unlike Succession and Gomorrah, the ending didn't disappoint either.

I cannot believe that going back into The Sopranos seems a bit anti-climactic.

Just finished this morning, wow, what a brilliant last season.  Some terrific acting and great characters made it sooooooo real.  Gonna miss it that's for sure.  Loved the ending too which is normally a big let down.

Clough and Taylor/10 for me.  Now up there with Gomorrah as my all time faves.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Cannot recall seeing it mentioned, but I'm currently halfway through The Long Shadow . Itvx 

Enjoyable dramatisation of the Yorkshire ripper 

Was very good but perhaps not enjoyable. Sometimes stories like that one make me sad on behalf of men.

The surviving victims were treated appallingly.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Was very good but perhaps not enjoyable. Sometimes stories like that one make me sad on behalf of men.

I get this and agree, but I found the quality and delivery enjoyable if not the subject matter. A lot of the best TV is difficult to watch. True Detective S1 as another example. 

22 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Fully agree. Great TV but not at all enjoyable. Mix of sadness and incredulity but mainly anger at the blinkered ineptitude shown by those in charge. 

On 24/09/2023 at 00:26, Comrade 86 said:

Not watched yet it as I think his old man is going to fry my turnips. Proper weapon. 

He most definitely will but worth a watch , doesn’t let you know if r Hatton has made up with Graham , very sad if not

Thought we'd have a break between seasons 3 and 4 of The Sopranoes and check out Bodies.

Watched the first episode last night, and it was a bit pants.

I've seen too many good series over the last few years that started off poorly, but I'm curious to know what others thought.

I think the incredibly mediocre acting after The Sopranoes bugged me the most.

Oh, and the final scene when she got out of her futuristic car and the robotic AI voice asked her if she was ok. AI sounds better than that now so I doubt it will be worse in 30 years.

A question about Boiling Point. Is it just a remake of the movie, which I thought was great. Or is it a prequel, or just based on the idea? Not sure I want to watch a remake of something I've watched in the last year or so.

38 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Thought we'd have a break between seasons 3 and 4 of The Sopranoes and check out Bodies.

Watched the first episode last night, and it was a bit pants.

I've seen too many good series over the last few years that started off poorly, but I'm curious to know what others thought.

I think the incredibly mediocre acting after The Sopranoes bugged me the most.

Oh, and the final scene when she got out of her futuristic car and the robotic AI voice asked her if she was ok. AI sounds better than that now so I doubt it will be worse in 30 years.

A question about Boiling Point. Is it just a remake of the movie, which I thought was great. Or is it a prequel, or just based on the idea? Not sure I want to watch a remake of something I've watched in the last year or so.

Agree with you. Thought it was an interesting concept but my wife and I agreed we weren’t gripped or convinced by it at all.