Watchable telly

dog

On 26/05/2023 at 23:41, 86 Hair Islands said:

Mr Inbetween - contract killer struggles to navigate 'normal' life between hits.

Won't be for everyone but it's dark, funny, poignant and quite clever in a sneaky kind of way.  I liked it a lot.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7472896/episodes?season=3&ref_=tt_eps_sn_3

Someone has recommended this to be a few times...what's it on?

On 26/05/2023 at 22:01, Eddie said:

Currently watching FUBAR on Netflix, which was released yesterday - basically, Arnie being Arnie. That tells you everything you need to know.

Watched a couple of these and quite enjoyed it.

The only thing that detracts is that he is such a terrible actor. He needed to have fewer lines of dialogue.

Just finished S5 of Marvelous Mrs Maisel. A great final series and a truly satisfying final episode to wrap up the show. One of the few series where it does not just peter our in the end, but concludes the story in a wonderful satisfying way.

If you have never seen it before, you'd probably like it if you like any of Aaron Sorkin's work. It shares the same fast-talking style.  

On 28/05/2023 at 15:18, AndyinLiverpool said:

Watched a couple of these and quite enjoyed it.

The only thing that detracts is that he is such a terrible actor. He needed to have fewer lines of dialogue.

Enjoyed the first few episodes, then it got progressively worse the longer it went on. 

In the end, I begrudged the time investment each shortish episode demanded, yet with better writing it could have been a hit.

Finished Succession - it's a very dialogue heavy show and not to everyone's cup of tea, but for those engrossed by the constant connivances and scheming of patriarchal bully, Logan Roy and his snivelling, entitled and self-serving offspring, season 4 was a perfect storm of a finale for one of the best shows in decades. Very much a King Lear of its time, I absolutely loved it, though it's not a series I'd ever want to revisit.

After the grim, yet fascinating machinations of the Roy clan, what better salve than the homely, cheesy and indefatigably upbeat coach from across the water, Ted Lasso. I've a huge soft spot for this show as I think it gave such a boost to so many when perhaps we needed it most. It's nonsense, contrived and more than a little daft, but it's also oddly comforting. I'll miss this show.

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Finished Succession - it's a very dialogue heavy show and not to everyone's cup of tea, but for those engrossed by the constant connivances and scheming of patriarchal bully, Logan Roy and his snivelling, entitled and self-serving offspring, season 4 was a perfect storm of a finale for one of the best shows in decades. Very much a King Lear of its time, I absolutely loved it, though it's not a series I'd ever want to revisit.

Agree wholeheartedly with the Succession review.

Haven’t watched the very last episode yet as I’m away but series four has been a belter.

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

After the grim, yet fascinating machinations of the Roy clan, what better salve than the homely, cheesy and indefatigably upbeat coach from across the water, Ted Lasso. I've a huge soft spot for this show as I think it gave such a boost to so many when perhaps we needed it most. It's nonsense, contrived and more than a little daft, but it's also oddly comforting. I'll miss this show.

We have half of the Succession episodes left as we dived into Fauda to avoid catching up and have become engrossed with that. But I agree that it has been excellent.

Ted Lasso is an enigma to me. Rarely have I watched a programme that I think went so far downhill. I liked the first season a lot, thought the second one was ok but nothing like as funny (and a lot more schmalzy), but stopped with the third after 2 or 3 episodes totally bored with it.

3 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Has anyone seen Poker Face on Sky Arts? Just seen odd trailer but looks good. 

Watched two. Ep. 1 was excellent. 2nd was good without being great.

The lead actor is very good. You may have seen her in Russian Doll.

The interesting thing about this show is that it's a love letter to 1980s TV. It's set in the current day, but the styling and scripting are an echo of 80s TV shows. Each episode is a stand alone story, with a story arc through the series.

Id certainly recommend watching ep 1. Then take it from there if you enjoy.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Watched two. Ep. 1 was excellent. 2nd was good without being great.

The lead actor is very good. You may have seen her in Russian Doll.

The interesting thing about this show is that it's a love letter to 1980s TV. It's set in the current day, but the styling and scripting are an echo of 80s TV shows. Each episode is a stand alone story, with a story arc through the series.

Id certainly recommend watching ep 1. Then take it from there if you enjoy.

Interesting - I enjoyed Season One of Russian Doll, even though Natasha Lyonne seemed to be playing the exact same character as she played in Orange Is The New Black (which I also enjoyed). I gave up half way through Russian Doll Season Two though as it seemed to be doing nothing to keep me interested.

Just watched the Poker Face trailer and I'm slightly concerned that she's playing the same character yet again. Is she really that limited as an actress??

35 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting - I enjoyed Season One of Russian Doll, even though Natasha Lyonne seemed to be playing the exact same character as she played in Orange Is The New Black (which I also enjoyed). I gave up half way through Russian Doll Season Two though as it seemed to be doing nothing to keep me interested.

Just watched the Poker Face trailer and I'm slightly concerned that she's playing the same character yet again. Is she really that limited as an actress??

Very similar character. Not quite so brash and in your face as Russian Doll.

On 26/05/2023 at 11:24, ziggyram59 said:

As anyone started watching Ten Pound Poms on BBC1 on a Sunday night? I've watched 2 episodes and really enjoyed it. 

Finished it last night. Gets a bit silly with the plotlines towards the end as if they were seeing how many more they could cram in but still watchable.