Does Derby have one of the best Stadium atmosphere

Curtains

56 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I am glad you made the transition I never have, to me watching Derby meant the BBG .I suppose a fair part of that feeling was it was the most successful part of our history .

The old city / urban grounds that didn't move to business / retail parks have a feeling about them that PP and similar can't replicate. Newcastle is one that springs to mind as well as Villa Park .

Maybe one of the reasons [as well as winding us up] that the red dogs harp on about the success they had  is they can still visit the site of their success every week .

I feel totally detached from our former glories as it only exists in the internet .

Don’t get me wrong the sight of Charlie smashing them in against Real Madrid from the Pop Side lives with me forever as does Mick Brolly scoring  against Forest but Eranio and Biano also playing at PP has to be up there.  

Lampard can taste the atmosphere Monday. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

The old city / urban grounds that didn't move to business / retail parks have a feeling about them that PP and similar can't replicate.

Totally agree.  I personally would've put Griffin Park higher on this list because of that reason. It reminds me of the BBG as you walk to it through residential streets. Also, the many pubs are a help. (And I'm a bit biased as I worked for Brentford for 2 years)

When I do my three or four home games per season I always take a seat in the East Stand close to the half way line (I like the view).

There are a lot of older folk there who have seen it all and I enjoy their company but with the best will in the world they are not going to contribute to the noise.

Football is expensive and the over 60s are amongst the richest.

Perhaps atmosphere is being affected by the economic climate?

Hard to compare the BBG and Pride Park though. I've seen both in rip-roaring and near-comatose states. Obviously the proximity to the pitch gave the BBG a feeling of "connection" with the players and I still miss that great chippy on the corner, but would I trade PP to go back to the BBG? Not a chance.

2 hours ago, MK said:

Dis we not sell out for the Ted McMinn Rangers game a few years ago?

I spent that game wedged between 2 totally oiled Rangers fans. 

They kept talking to me but with the accent and the drink didn't have a clue what they were saying, till the lad behind said they were asking could one of them swap seats? Could have got nasty but they were very friendly throughout!

There’s not many stadiums left with decent atmospheres at every game.   Look and listen to match of the day, that’s from some of the highest attended games in the country.

Times have changed, maybe all the football on TV has changed peoples involvement. Sit quietly like at home.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

There’s not many stadiums left with decent atmospheres at every game.   Look and listen to match of the day, that’s from some of the highest attended games in the country.

Times have changed, maybe all the football on TV has changed peoples involvement. Sit quietly like at home.

The people inside the grounds have changed. Grounds used to be full of working class blokes looking to let off a bit of steam on Saturdays years ago. Kids were in the kids corner and the majority of women that did attend were sat with hubby in the poshers stands where people didn't really contribute to the atmosphere (pretty much like the West stand now)

19 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

We all hate Leeds scum.

I quite like Leeds.

I think the top flight is better with clubs like Leeds, Forest and Wednesday.

If we went up with Leeds and Forest, it would certainly make the prem more exciting next season. 

11 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I quite like Leeds.

I think the top flight is better with clubs like Leeds, Forest and Wednesday.

If we went up with Leeds and Forest, it would certainly make the prem more exciting next season. 

I certainly wouldn't agree with your first line, although I doubt I hate them as much as many my age (and older) do.  I was a bit too young to "appreciate" the old Clough v Revie thing in all its glory!

The rest of your post though, I totally agree with.  Us, Leeds, and Fo*est going up would be a great result all round... although I would't be keen on witnessing a Fo*est Play Off Win, even if we do trump them with an auto spot! 

19 hours ago, ossieram said:

The people inside the grounds have changed. Grounds used to be full of working class blokes looking to let off a bit of steam on Saturdays years ago. Kids were in the kids corner and the majority of women that did attend were sat with hubby in the poshers stands where people didn't really contribute to the atmosphere (pretty much like the West stand now)

Bang on , agree with this 100 percent. 

It goes without saying that the BBG was a special place, and holds special memories for many of us. 

I personally just missed the peak times (although I was there as a 12yo, when we were presented with our second league Champs trophy), but still managed to witness European nights, big cup games, 8-2 league wins over Spurs, painted peno spots in the sand, seats being ripped out, direct corners knocking us out of the cup, Hammers taking my Ossie End, Taylor & Archie putting one over on Mr Clough, and much, much more.

If I'd have written my own script for watching the footy through my teens, I doubt very much it would have differed much from the reality (Although it would have probably started 7 years earlier!)

But I have to say, whilst I almost certainly wouldn't have enjoyed PPS as an alternative back then, I doubt in equal measure that I would enjoy The BBG as much now!  It was growing old and tired.  It was becoming "Old Fashioned".  It had seen its better days!  Very sad, but very true!

I'm mid-50's now... I enjoy my amble to the ground, strolling in with no more than 6 folk in the queue in front of me, at 2:48.  I enjoy sitting in my aisle seat, with a clear view not only of the whole pitch, but also of the whole stadium (bar the right hand 2 foot of the big screen!).

It's rare I feel like bouncing these days.  It's rare I feel like standing, shouting and yawping.  I haven't personally "started a chant" for many years, despite it being the norm back in the day!  (The last one being "Idiakez", after the peno's v Southampton... and my lungs nearly gave way, trying to persevere until it finally rung around the ground!  LOL!)  I haven't climbed into the rafters with my Rams Royal Ensign since 3rd May 1980 (Had to google it!), at Carrow Road (We'll be back in '81!). My knees certainly couldn't handle standing still for 90 mins or more these days!  And that "Crushing wave" every time we scored!  Great then, but not any more!  Some things are simply better being assigned to history, than being the present.

Yeah, it ain't no BBG... and never will be... but I for one like this particular part of "moving with the times", and PPS gets a big thumbs up from me.

cant be arsed to read the article.

but pretty much all the best stadium atmospheres to my mind are old grounds which still exist.

for a new stadium PPS is probably one of the better ones.

But still not as good as a rocking anfield, goodison, villa park, sellhurst, even friggin vicarage road

Archived