Does Derby have one of the best Stadium atmosphere

Curtains

We’ve been to every ground in the Championship over the last few years bar Swansea (hopefully we’ll be visiting this season, if SKY don’t screw us again), and we’re definately one of the best atmospheres. Most fans don’t really make any noise unless they’re winning. I’d change a few round from that article, I’d put Millwall and Norwich higher, but overall it’s not far off. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

cant be arsed to read the article.

but pretty much all the best stadium atmospheres to my mind are old grounds which still exist.

for a new stadium PPS is probably one of the better ones.

But still not as good as a rocking anfield, goodison, villa park, sellhurst, even friggin vicarage road

Except only Villa are in the Championship. 

On 15/12/2018 at 09:31, mozza said:

Not even close to the BBG atmosphere. Saying that, what is.

Comparing the beloved BBG Popside to the rather sterile Pride Park is like comparing your favourite pub to the dentist’s chair!

The toilets are a bit better now but the pitch now is too perfect!

The BBG is consigned to history, even if we’d stayed there it would be nothing like it was in the 70’s, three sides of the ground were a fire hazard and the fourth had no exits. Crowds have changed too, they don’t want stinking toilets and sheds for food outlets. 

We all remember the atmosphere of the early 70’s, everyone forgets what it was like with 8k in the third division, or when weshoehorned seats onto the crumbling terraces with a 16,000 capacity. 

Anyway, the article is about Pride Park and how it compares to the rest of the division now, not how it compares to a handful of European games 40 years ago. 

I think mobile phones have a big effect on the atmosphere at all grounds. People around me seem to spend half of the match concentrating on the screen with betting apps and social media etc. Than concentrating solely on the football and getting fully engaged 

Theres lot of factors for me, as to why Bundersliga 1 & 2 reminds me more of how it used to be for us.

1) terraces period.

2) unreservered spaces, mean people get in the ground early to get a good spot, and thus help the pre game atmosphere. You can also move throughout the match if you want to be closer to the ultras/hardcore singers , or move away from them. Same goes for if theres a constant moaner that gets on your titz.

3) they dont indulge in ridiculously over loud PA systems blaring out music, and when they do, they generally turn it off 10 mins before kick off to allow the atmosphere to build.

A huge improvement from Derby’s old Baseball Ground

That's not how I remember it...

Derby would have to cut their capacity to 17,500 fans.

Is that true, could the Baseball Ground only have had a capacity of 17,500?

have never managed to sell it out

Is that true? Are the unsold seats, not the segregated area? 

19 hours ago, Doodle said:

I think mobile phones have a big effect on the atmosphere at all grounds. People around me seem to spend half of the match concentrating on the screen with betting apps and social media etc. Than concentrating solely on the football and getting fully engaged 

You have a very good point, but if a Tweet is more interesting than the game what does that say about the game?

Watched Man C on the box the other night. I would describe the atmosphere as funerial. Similarly Spurs and Arsenal games. Very few have a cranked up atmosphere these days.

Seating has something to do with it, but in the later 70's days at the BBG, we were keeping the father in-law company in the Ossie end upper. It was pretty loud up there! (Pop-side pen was our favourite).

Contriving to build atmosphere is a risky move -think the man with the mike- it doesn't really work. To me the braying audience on Strictly, going hysterical because someone doesn't fall over is a total turn off.

I think the main problem is the game itself, more conservative in approach, tactics are more sophisticated, shots are rare, shots on target rarer (ignore Liverpool yesterday). Blood and thunder tackles pretty much gone. Refs getting things right more often. These used to get crowds going.

So as I approach 70 I find I am less inclined to leap out my seat or yell myself hoarse unless something really excited happens.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

... but if a Tweet is more interesting than the game what does that say about the game?

... or the Tweetee! 

Some folks just can't help themselves, even at crucial (or the more entertaining) points in the game.  The guy 3 seats from me missed a goal the other week, purely by being on his 'phone.  He ended up asking his mate in the next seat to "describe it to him" FFS!  Twet!

8 hours ago, Curtains said:

Please keep the name of the stadium as Pride Park .

I'd agree in theory... although I can't deny I struggled to contain my sheer excitement when I first read of the i-Pro stadium thing.

Admittedly, I automatically assumed it was an apple-based partnership, and thus assumed we would be festooned in sponsorship money to put even the likes of Etihad and Emirates to shame!

I never gave a seconds thought to the possibility of it being a two-bob pop company, to my subsequent embarrassment!

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'd agree in theory... although I can't deny I struggled to contain my sheer excitement when I first read of the i-Pro stadium thing.

Admittedly, I automatically assumed it was an apple-based partnership, and thus assumed we would be festooned in sponsorship money to put even the likes of Etihad and Emirates to shame!

I never gave a seconds thought to the possibility of it being a two-bob pop company, to my subsequent embarrassment!

Just wait til Pride Park opens its doors to the Pride parade and we launch our new rainbow kit!

On 16/12/2018 at 16:58, Doodle said:

Liverpool v Man U sounds like a funeral. 

Not on my tv, thought the atmosphere was great, fair doo to the kop  they can really create an atmosphere especially on  European cup nights.Just hoping we will. Be rocking tonight.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

You are Mel Morris and I claim my £5.

Archived