Great style of football

Chester40

What a really great match.

If we had conceded late on I still would have preferred it to a 1-0 from last season.

Felt so proud to watch us pass and move, hit them at pace on the break or retain possession and probe....and Sheff Utd played their part too.

Two teams going for the 3 points. Not a night to pick fault at individuals. Just a thoroughly enjoyable game, played in the right spirit. 

Long may we continue to play in the same manner. Got over-run after our early goal but Frank sorted it at half time and we bossed it. 

Got to give him time to make it work. Watched it with the kids and made me really proud to see us play that way. Can see what we're trying to do. Like night and day from last season seeing us play with youth, to feet in midfield. Although Tom H gave us a bit of much needed calmness. 

Regardless of what happens during these difficult period of games I will remain patient and enjoy the ride this season come what may.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent game of football, as was Norwich as was Brentford as was Blackburn. 

Like the way we’re going about it but we weren’t great today. Scored early sat back and they dominated first half. Second half we improved without being outstanding, but still controlled the game created the better chances and overall thoroughly deserved to win the game. 

The fact we can do this against top of the league yet we can play and have played much better than we did tonight is a huge positive!

I don't think we had much choice but to sit back in the first half. They're one of the form teams in the division and they've been playing some lovely football with pretty much the same players and style for 2 and a bit seasons. We've got 2 months of trying to play that way behind us. We defended excellently for the most part and they resorted to hopeful crosses / lumping it into the box after we'd stifled their attempts to play through us on a number of occasions.  The only time they managed to run through the middle of us they scored.

It shows how far we've come that we didn't collapse like we did in the Leeds game. If we'd have played Sheff Utd instead of Leeds as 2nd match of the season game and Leeds instead of Sheffield Utd in our 13th then the results against each may well have been flipped.

Shouldn't care what other fans think but I did think to myself that any neutral watching this and the Man United game will surely tune in on Wednesday. 

Last night was as thrilling as any Super Sunday or Magic Monday or Fingering Friday. It was better that 99%of United v Liverpool super clash. 

Watched on Sky last night and it was even better hearing the secondary commentator clearly wanting Sheff United to win. Properly funny

We dropped a little too deep after our first goal but I felt that was more because of human instinct than by design. We changed that at half time.

I’ve never felt that sinking feeling under Lampard of sitting back on a one goal lead on purpose and letting the opposition have a attack vs defence training drill. Pearson and Rowett seemed to love it. Clough did it a lot but that’s partly because he had no budget so most of his squad worked part time in a warehouse midweek and weren’t as fit. Clement was guilty of it at times too when he wasn’t instructing Warnock to take forever to pass sideways to Bradley Johnson.

We play every game to win. It’s great. And even when we are winning, we shut the opposition out without shutting our own chances off. We were in total control against a good side last night in the dying minutes - the only chance of an equaliser was entirely self-inflicted.

It’s fun again. Like Mac 1 when we used to charge Sammon up on the sidelines and threaten to bring him up at any moment if we weren’t 4 goals clear on 70 minutes. Probably the only thing this side is missing. An Irish gallivanting giraffe causing chaos in both boxes.

8 minutes ago, Duracell said:

We dropped a little too deep after our first goal but I felt that was more because of human instinct than by design. We changed that at half time.

I’ve never felt that sinking feeling under Lampard of sitting back on a one goal lead on purpose and letting the opposition have a attack vs defence training drill. Pearson and Rowett seemed to love it. Clough did it a lot but that’s partly because he had no budget so most of his squad worked part time in a warehouse midweek and weren’t as fit. Clement was guilty of it at times too when he wasn’t instructing Warnock to take forever to pass sideways to Bradley Johnson.

We play every game to win. It’s great. And even when we are winning, we shut the opposition out without shutting our own chances off. We were in total control against a good side last night in the dying minutes - the only chance of an equaliser was entirely self-inflicted.

It’s fun again. Like Mac 1 when we used to charge Sammon up on the sidelines and threaten to bring him up at any moment if we weren’t 4 goals clear on 70 minutes. Probably the only thing this side is missing. An Irish gallivanting giraffe causing chaos in both boxes.

Keogh needs to step up in that regard. No more of this actually pretty competent championship defender act from him.

I really enjoyed it last night. I think Marriott’s involvement now offers us an extra edge. Lawrence still frustrates the life out of me but yeah, it was exciting football and boy have we missed that in the last 18 months. 

Big credit to Forsyth, felt he was excellent. Hope Bryson is ok. He’s started to offer more than running about. Great finish for his goal. Rolling back the years. 

Crowd were superb too. 

45 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I really enjoyed it last night. I think Marriott’s involvement now offers us an extra edge. Lawrence still frustrates the life out of me but yeah, it was exciting football and boy have we missed that in the last 18 months. 

Big credit to Forsyth, felt he was excellent. Hope Bryson is ok. He’s started to offer more than running about. Great finish for his goal. Rolling back the years. 

Crowd were superb too. 

Too true, Mac 1 = Bryson scoring goals Forsyth putting it into the box for someone to score - happy Saturdays 

Loved the performance again last night...such positivity!!!

From... the daring team selection, the desire to keep piling forward when we are ahead, players desperate to get forward into the box, players across the pitch taking the ball to feet in dangerous positions, persisting playing from the back, substitutions that aren't designed to just shut game down etc etc 

Can we PLEASE remember this when there is inevitably a low.

For all the joy yesterday....imagine ...

1) We got taken to school as it looked like we could for first 10mins ... ' oh Frank is too naive, he's tactically clueless going there so open'.

2) Lawrence had blasted wide not scored  'oh he's so greedy Malone was there just pass it to him'

3) Keogh blunder results in Rodriguez finding his man 'oh Keogh, you're useless and have let them back in it now'

4) Malone gets dispossessed and they score 'what are we doing at 3-0 pushing forward..we let them back in it'....etc etc

If you play this way..sometimes it will go wrong. We will concede 'sloppy' goals playing it out...we will throw away leads pushing for goals.. and yes a team like Boro may over power our young vibrant midfield.

That's the risk-reward and without the risk of taking the ball to feet, creating space, looking to thread the ball, overloading defences... you are reduced to launching it hopefully.

Symbolically it is playing Hudds instead of Johnson...and boy when it works it works. I have been critical of Hudds movement in the past ...but Pirlo-esque he allowed the rest to revolve round him.

What a joy. If we lose we lose the right way...way it should be.

On 25/10/2018 at 14:07, coneheadjohn said:

I hope we do that to Stoke.

Can we play a team with a midfield of butters bryson and thorne (3 players each with a point to prove to GR) ditto strikeforce of Nuge, Lawrence and Bennett? (ditto).  or is that childish??.

hmmmm

Archived