Lack of love for some players why?

FindernRam

It seems there are certain players who somehow manage to engender a lot of criticism and intolerance. I don't want to call it hate because I don't think it is. Others have quite dodgy games or spells of game without the same lack of love.

In one sense it is democracy in action, because it is a largish section of the fans, and we can't all be wrong. Also social media tends to lean towards extremes of criticism rather than complements, so once started it tends to build, but what are the triggers and how does a player reverse it.

Keogh made a few errors and was slated for months (but now is pretty popular), Buxton made many more but was generally liked. Ince was not popular, nor was Martin. Lawrence is in the firing line right now. Eustace was disliked, as was Shotton who is now really popular at  Boro.

Go way back Frannie Lee was far more loved than Charlie George, Archie over Steve  Powell.

Can't see any really common factors myself apart from being a totally committed team player and putting a full shift in, but some of you must have some ideas.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

It seems there are certain players who somehow manage to engender a lot of criticism and intolerance. I don't want to call it hate because I don't think it is. Others have quite dodgy games or spells of game without the same lack of love.

In one sense it is democracy in action, because it is a largish section of the fans, and we can't all be wrong. Also social media tends to lean towards extremes of criticism rather than complements, so once started it tends to build, but what are the triggers and how does a player reverse it.

Keogh made a few errors and was slated for months (but now is pretty popular), Buxton made many more but was generally liked. Ince was not popular, nor was Martin. Lawrence is in the firing line right now. Eustace was disliked, as was Shotton who is now really popular at  Boro.

Go way back Frannie Lee was far more loved than Charlie George, Archie over Steve  Powell.

Can't see any really common factors myself apart from being a totally committed team player and putting a full shift in, but some of you must have some ideas.

For all that Steve Powell was home grown talent, Archie was a different class - way better and bound to be appreciated more. McGovern was the one that was hated by some.

It's easy work to hate, it's hard work to love.

FL is going to make us all work and work and work and work and work and before we know it we are going to love his work, our work, there work and everybody else's work.

Love, Life & Unity. Have a drink, enjoy a sing song and love your Derby County Football Club.

You mean players like Forsyth? I’ve seen comments on social media tonight blaming him for their goal and that he only put in one decent cross all game. I know he didn’t have one of his better games, but I don’t think he was as bad as some claim he was. For their goal he was actually marking his man and one of the central defenders ghosted in at the back stick. Hardly his fault. Some seem to forget his great cross for Waghorn’s header which went wide 1st half, and his near post cross 2nd half which picked out Marriott and he guided wide. I guess some ‘fans’ are never happy and like a scapegoat all the time. If it’s not Fozzy, it’s Keogh. If its not Keogh, it’s Lawrence. If it’s not Lawrence, etc etc

And relax

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Got to pick you up on this Findern!

Keogh has always been popular, there's hardly been a game that KEOGH KEOGH hasn't been chanted. 

Buxton never made a mistake and is so god like with last minute winners against Leeds and Forest so I'm not sure what you mean there, you are on dodgy ground suggesting otherwise and I suggest you never enter a Turkish embassy for fear of reprisal.

Ince and Martin were both popular

Lawrence has never been openly criticised during a match

Eustace was better than Busquets, and was an integral part of the best Derby team for 20 years.

Frannie Lee was not more loved than Charlie, Frannie was loved, Charlie was adored.

Archie was exalted as one of the best players to wear the shirt, Stevie Powell was worshipped as a great servant to the club

ermmmm if Frannie Lee was not more loved than Charlie, Frannie was loved, Charlie was adored........surely "was loved" does appear to be more loved than "was adored". It's all in the word, adored only has the letters "ed" in it whilst "loved" has them all, and both fall short by not having the "more"

I reckon we both need more drink!

Still don’t get the vitriol directed at Forsyth. Not so much on here but in real life.

I’ve always liked him. Tough for wingers to beat, has a good cross on him, faultless in the air. You can do a lot worse.

All that is negated by the odd weird pass and an ungainly dribbling style apparently.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

Still don’t get the vitriol directed at Forsyth. Not so much on here but in real life.

I’ve always liked him. Tough for wingers to beat, has a good cross on him, faultless in the air. You can do a lot worse.

All that is negated by the odd weird pass and an ungainly dribbling style apparently.

16 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Definitely don't agree Franny Lee was more popular than Charlie George!

Football is about opinions. Speak to people who support other clubs, they also ave players in the team who they don't rate. Even Man city fans will have a player or 2 to moan about. Personally, im not a great fan of Forsyth. I also think Lawrence needs to improve his attitude. However, when im at the game, I'll support them as much as i can because what good is it moaning and yelling abuse at  player wearing the crest of the club you love ? We are on this forum to share opinions whether they're popular or not

14 hours ago, Wayne1306 said:

You mean players like Forsyth? I’ve seen comments on social media tonight blaming him for their goal and that he only put in one decent cross all game. I know he didn’t have one of his better games, but I don’t think he was as bad as some claim he was. For their goal he was actually marking his man and one of the central defenders ghosted in at the back stick. Hardly his fault. Some seem to forget his great cross for Waghorn’s header which went wide 1st half, and his near post cross 2nd half which picked out Marriott and he guided wide. I guess some ‘fans’ are never happy and like a scapegoat all the time. If it’s not Fozzy, it’s Keogh. If its not Keogh, it’s Lawrence. If it’s not Lawrence, etc etc

And relax

True, Forsyth marks his man but Sheffield United overload the back post with a centre half, damm good play by them! Forsyth wants nothing more than to play for Derby and we are a better defence with him in it and actually yesterday he put in three excellent crosses which were not put away, meanwhile Keogh has been and is excellent for us yes there are mistakes but he does tend to be having to do an awful lot, flair players get away with an awful lot more with some fans who only live with thier perceived negatives

Think all players have their critics just some more than other's, before last season Hydra had his fair share of stick and sure their was a post questioning whether he should even ever wear the shirt again after one  performance.  Always surprised at the level of critism Keogh gets,any player who is always involved in so much of the game ,playing continuously week on week is going to make errors at some point during a game but I can't think of a present player with as much comitment ,loyalty and work rate .Definitely one off the best defenders in this division and deserves less critics .

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

True, Forsyth marks his man but Sheffield United overload the back post with a centre half, damm good play by them! Forsyth wants nothing more than to play for Derby and we are a better defence with him in it and actually yesterday he put in three excellent crosses which were not put away,

If people wanted to blame anyone for the goal, Wilson made the kind of over-cautious tackle outside the box that you make in it and Lawrence let Basham run from 20 yards the other side of him to score at the far post. Over the last few years, more goals are down to midfielders or forwards fault than defenders IMO.  However it was damn good play by them, releasing the third CB to make an extra attacker when we marked their wing backs.

Sometimes you just have to give the opposition the credit. 

Archived