18/19 January Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Pope would also be a great coup for us if we could get him on loan from Burnley, I don't believe we could get him on a permanent, I imagine they would command quite a large fee but would come in and probably take Carson's position given a chance. 

16 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

The financial situation is an unknown, for our management team to claim we've got little to no funds could merely be a bargaining chip which stops other clubs looking to exploit us if they were aware we're willing to invest substantially. That being said, a few players out and suddenly the wage bill will look healthier and may allow us some room for manoeuvre even if we are tightening the belt somewhat compared to previous seasons.

Since Wilson is playing as a midfielder atm then signing another quality one permanently probably isn't a bad shout. For the Championship, yes I'm happy with the CB's we've got, athough I would like Ampadu on loan. The issue with buying a striker is that I don't believe in buying a player that isn't good enough to warrant a place in the starting XI; no-one's gonna displace Marriott that's available for <£10m and so buying a backup when forwards are the most expensive position already seems a waste of money to me. Waghorn is more than adequate cover, given he's already proven in this league as a number 9. 

Midfield is where we're lacking quality currently for me within the permanent squad, and also where our current roster doesn't quite fit the system of play. Targeting a quality CM to support the other 2 defensive and attacking midfielders would be my priority this window, along with a couple of astute loans to hopefully give us the quality to build some consistency and challenge over the course of the rest of the season. 

Very true - We don't know the financial situation - But they must have one eye on the FFP consequences of £12m worth of players being out of contract in the summer (I'm taking that from sources on here) when we've still been losing money every year

I'm looking longer term than just this season - The best teams promoted to the Premier League have survived either by having a very rigorous way of playing established (Wolves) or by using most of the same players (Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton) and slowly adding to the squad - If we don't go up this season we need to be building a squad to challenge next year - If we do go up we need a solid base to add 3/4 players to stay up (for me anyway) - Fulham had a great team spirit last season but having replaced half the team seem to be struggling to play for each other in the Premier League

Agreed about CBs for this season - But next year we'll have Keogh and a returning from injury 34 year old Davies, plus maybe Wisdom - Agreed about strikers as I think Waghorn should be the first backup in that position ahead of Nugent - And midfield is where we're going to struggle - I keep saying that as of June currently we have Evans and Holmes who play CM (plus Thorne and youth players) - Which isn't much for a 3 man midfield - Even assuming people like Elsnik and Sibely could potentially step up we're still short in that area

20 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

So it’s looking like 

pearce is leaving from the stiffs 

Anya and thorne with probably Butterfield as well from the Extreme stiffs 

just a shame we can’t get any money in as opposed to reducing outgoings 

Maybe we have the money to spend, just not the room in the wages department to add.

So maybe there is less pressure on raising funds, more a desire to reduce the wage bill so we can use to get a couple of loans in.

22 hours ago, Topram said:

Understand #barnsleyfc have rejected two bids for fwd Mamadou Thiam. 1 is from a top 6 club in the Championship. The other bid came from a Ligue 1 side in France and is believed to be in the region of 2m Euros.

never heard of him but 1 club being from top 6 could be us unlikely just thought I’d post 

Interesting statistic I read the other day. Barnsley haven't played a single player over the age of 26 this season. Nuts!

Archived