18/19 January Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

Understand #barnsleyfc have rejected two bids for fwd Mamadou Thiam. 1 is from a top 6 club in the Championship. The other bid came from a Ligue 1 side in France and is believed to be in the region of 2m Euros.

never heard of him but 1 club being from top 6 could be us unlikely just thought I’d post 

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

And I would argue 13/14, that 'one season' was arguably his prime, certainly his most effective period as a midfielder. He's not the same player sitting deeper and while yes, he still covers a fair bit of ground, this isn't equating to him having the same impact on games as he used to. Mount kind of occupies the space that Bryson would usually advance into and so I think the current system actually stifles his play a little bit.

So yes, I would spend a few extra million and get someone even better in because we should always be looking to improve and in this instance, I think finding a younger individual who fits the system even better than Bryson could be the pivotal signing that really makes this team/system tick.

And there's the key problem for me...

We don't have that kind of money to spend - And if we do there are other areas which are more important to spend in - For instance - What do we do when Mount and Wilson go back to their parent clubs? We're going to be losing (arguably) the two most creative players we have - Are we comfortable with the current roster of CBs we have? Do we need a backup to Marriott since Lampard seems to see Waghorn more as a winger?

Won't cost us as much to re-sign Bryson for a couple of years compared to bringing in a younger replacement and we have other areas we're more desperate

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Understand #barnsleyfc have rejected two bids for fwd Mamadou Thiam. 1 is from a top 6 club in the Championship. The other bid came from a Ligue 1 side in France and is believed to be in the region of 2m Euros.

never heard of him but 1 club being from top 6 could be us unlikely just thought I’d post 

Hope not. 1 goal in 29 games last season. 5 in 25 this season.

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We don't have that kind of money to spend - And if we do there are other areas which are more important to spend in - For instance - What do we do when Mount and Wilson go back to their parent clubs? We're going to be losing (arguably) the two most creative players we have - Are we comfortable with the current roster of CBs we have? Do we need a backup to Marriott since Lampard seems to see Waghorn more as a winger?

Won't cost us as much to re-sign Bryson for a couple of years compared to bringing in a younger replacement and we have other areas we're more desperate

Some good players available for free in the summer. I doubt we'd be able to get any cheap this month, but we must stand a good chance in the summer depending on who gets promoted.

GK: Jordan Archer

CB: Klose, van der Hoorn, Elphick

CM: Henriksen, Powell, Josh McEachran, Vaulks

CF: Hooper, Gergory, Sharp, McGoldrick

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

The financial situation is an unknown, for our management team to claim we've got little to no funds could merely be a bargaining chip which stops other clubs looking to exploit us if they were aware we're willing to invest substantially. That being said, a few players out and suddenly the wage bill will look healthier and may allow us some room for manoeuvre even if we are tightening the belt somewhat compared to previous seasons.

Since Wilson is playing as a midfielder atm then signing another quality one permanently probably isn't a bad shout. For the Championship, yes I'm happy with the CB's we've got, athough I would like Ampadu on loan. The issue with buying a striker is that I don't believe in buying a player that isn't good enough to warrant a place in the starting XI; no-one's gonna displace Marriott that's available for <£10m and so buying a backup when forwards are the most expensive position already seems a waste of money to me. Waghorn is more than adequate cover, given he's already proven in this league as a number 9. 

Midfield is where we're lacking quality currently for me within the permanent squad, and also where our current roster doesn't quite fit the system of play. Targeting a quality CM to support the other 2 defensive and attacking midfielders would be my priority this window, along with a couple of astute loans to hopefully give us the quality to build some consistency and challenge over the course of the rest of the season. 

In keeping with 'Derby in the Community', I should like to think that we are in the running to sign the Indian Messi, Yuwonli Singh Wenyuwinin.

Archived