First school report of the season...score ?

Chester40

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

Being supportive of the manager in charge of the football club you support is not a fan but a fanboy?

Well, it was a deliberately perjorative term simply because i was not enamoured with GR. We are all fans. We all want Derby County to do well. But sometimes it seems as if showing support for a particular manager actually supersedes the more important, bigger picture. I didn't hate GR. I just didn't believe in him or his football, although i still hoped he was right and i was wrong.

I have my opinion which remains pretty consistent. I'm interested in other opinions when they are sincerely held. But we can't all believe equally in every manager, and every twist and turn, unless we suspend all critical judgement and opinion just becomes meaningless. 

I'd never want Derby County to lose just because i'm not enamoured with a particular manager. But there are times when i could have jumped for joy - E.g. When we 'lost' Tommy Docherty or Nigel Pearson - because it meant a fresh opportunity to get back on track and stop the damage. 

UTR ????

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Style-8 Just need a bit more thought up front and maybe a formation tweak

Effort-9 Couple of players drift a bit when things are going wrong

Results-5 This is a results business and ours are not good enough at the moment. Less goals for, than Preston in 22!

Superb post. FL is doing a great job; no question. But it’s a work in progress. We don’t have the “right” team yet because we let stupid goals in. However:

1. Curtis Davis is about to return. That will make us more robust defensively. What do we do with Tomori? I think he’d be great at CDM. I wonder if FL will try him there?

2. There’s definitely a problem scoring goals. I want to see Waghorn played more. However, he sometimes seems isolated and “out of the game” when he has played. What’s that about. 

3. Huddlestone surely must be used more? I think he made an impact yesterday; 

4. Will FL experiment and go 3-5-2? 

So its “Cup half full” for me. We’re doing ok with a team that isn’t firing on all cylinders. What will be interesting for me is how FL tries to solve this. To be a tad “super-critical” for a moment, we know there’ll be lots of hard work, but what analysis and action will result? When will things change? What new things will be tried? 

So B- from me. 7/10 for what’s been done so far...but 6/10 when I think in terms of “capacity to improve”. I’d like to see some more “experimentation”...difficult though that is to do but we need to be better. 

It could have been a challenging first term since the takeover of Snake Secondary modern by the St Francis of Jody preparatory school, but so far the pupils have handled the transition very well.

Out have gone the double athletics, long ball division and brick laying lessons, to be replaced with Latin, Fine Art and expressive dance classes.

The exchange pupils have settled and contribute well to lessons, whilst the new boys from the feeder school have also been well received.

Mock results have been a little inconsistent, yet the school still finds itself within touching distance of the top of the league tables, and with a normal trajectory of improvement we should become one of the elite group of Schools in due course.

7.5/10 from me.

We wanted patient football, we wanted youth, we wanted ambition - we've got all three. Lampard is brand new to this but has us roughly where we've been every year in October since 2013/14 with a memorable Cup win away at Man Utd thrown in. He's greatly improved Bradley Johnson & Forsyth in his time here already.

Clearly results haven't always been what we want but any team looking to play is going to struggle away at the minnows - they know we're a young side who want to hold onto the ball so they're going to sit back, kick us when possible & invite us to play through them. I've no issue with it - its part of the team's learning process & we'll be better for it. There are also issues with quality in the final 3rd but again, we're a new team with a new manager - it's no real surprise.

This season was all about development for me - with game time for Bogle & Bennett and Jozefzoon/Marriott/Waghorn starting to bed into the squad, we're building a solid foundation for 2019/20. My only caveat is that our current midfield won't be lining up next year with Bryson & Johnson likely to leave as their contracts end & Mount going back to Chelsea - as things stand, we'll be starting from scratch in that department. It'd be good to see a couple of January midfield additions to slowly ease into the team by end of the season.

20 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

7.5/10 from me.

We wanted patient football, we wanted youth, we wanted ambition - we've got all three. Lampard is brand new to this but has us roughly where we've been every year in October since 2013/14 with a memorable Cup win away at Man Utd thrown in. He's greatly improved Bradley Johnson & Forsyth in his time here already.

Clearly results haven't always been what we want but any team looking to play is going to struggle away at the minnows - they know we're a young side who want to hold onto the ball so they're going to sit back, kick us when possible & invite us to play through them. I've no issue with it - its part of the team's learning process & we'll be better for it. There are also issues with quality in the final 3rd but again, we're a new team with a new manager - it's no real surprise.

This season was all about development for me - with game time for Bogle & Bennett and Jozefzoon/Marriott/Waghorn starting to bed into the squad, we're building a solid foundation for 2019/20. My only caveat is that our current midfield won't be lining up next year with Bryson & Johnson likely to leave as their contracts end & Mount going back to Chelsea - as things stand, we'll be starting from scratch in that department. It'd be good to see a couple of January midfield additions to slowly ease into the team by end of the season.

Brilliant post; very good point about the midfield. We will need a new engine. 

The new teacher Mr Lampard and his classroom assistant (and PE teacher ) Mr Morris arrived at a time when the class had been lacking leadership and where some older pupils had developed bad habits.

A number of younger new boys have brought welcome enthusiasm to the form but discipline is still lacking as is attention to detail by the whole class. 

Exchange student Mount M has shown that other schools might have higher standards and Bogle J who has just come up from the junior school is showing great promise. 

Form captain Keogh R has done well, cut out occasional slap dash essays and mentored young Tomori positively (when he can keep up with him ) Johnson B has been very dilligent during the early stages of the term and a special mention must go to Wilson H for doing so well on sports day at Manchester High School.

its recommended that all pupils do their homework as quarterly exam results were only average. 

I think there’s a lot of similar quality sides this season, other than Leeds I’ve not been overly impressed. So we should be looking to make the playoffs again. 

I think the effort is always there, nice addition of youthful exuberance too. We just lack ruthlessness I feel. And if it’s not working in midfield (quite often) then we’ve nothing to change it up. 

I keep thinking that once Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Marriott etc all start playing on form together, all at once, we will see what we can do. We saw glimpses against Man Utd of that. 

Davies’ return is a plus.

I will give it a B so far. About where I expected. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Brilliant post; very good point about the midfield. We will need a new engine. 

? i think that was the point that @Bris Vegas was meaning to make in his "will we all be dead this time next year?" thread.

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Superb post. FL is doing a great job; no question. But it’s a work in progress. We don’t have the “right” team yet because we let stupid goals in. However:

1. Curtis Davis is about to return. That will make us more robust defensively. What do we do with Tomori? I think he’d be great at CDM. I wonder if FL will try him there?

2. There’s definitely a problem scoring goals. I want to see Waghorn played more. However, he sometimes seems isolated and “out of the game” when he has played. What’s that about. 

3. Huddlestone surely must be used more? I think he made an impact yesterday; 

4. Will FL experiment and go 3-5-2? 

So its “Cup half full” for me. We’re doing ok with a team that isn’t firing on all cylinders. What will be interesting for me is how FL tries to solve this. To be a tad “super-critical” for a moment, we know there’ll be lots of hard work, but what analysis and action will result? When will things change? What new things will be tried? 

So B- from me. 7/10 for what’s been done so far...but 6/10 when I think in terms of “capacity to improve”. I’d like to see some more “experimentation”...difficult though that is to do but we need to be better. 

Spot on. And I agree with you on Tomori at CDM. Think he could be excellent but Johnson has been doing well in there (and I’m a Johnson critic!) so Tomori might have to sit out a few games before he gets his chance again.

Educationally the class is due to resit its GCSE/A levels for the fourth time in five years. (2019 exam date).

Last exam results (taken at Fulham High ) were poor. Parents (aka Fans) and school board  (aka Mel) not impressed with the then educational theory.

This year new teaching staff brought in, with new pupils to increase school class sizes and average pupil ability.

Headboy on sick leave due to return.

Had Rams scored 8 rather 6 goals away from home we would be top 4 of school league. Percentage mark is 75%.

Relationship with OFSTED  (aka local media) appears to be workmanlike and productive.

Agree with point made about class room needs to experiment to learn about difficult subjects.

Suggest rotation of teachers is still possible. With new student teacher  (JT) coming in for a secondment??

Grade for effort A

Grade for results B

(C being mid table.. .)

Overall in future can the teachers use their contacts to get more new class pupils from London area - with longer term replacement of central midfield being a concern? (Point made by others on this thread).

Education will lead to progress but to which college due we wish to enter  (solid one of university of Midlands), or depressing one of yoyo nature ....

Teachers must work to create lesson plan for next two years of study.

Foreign exchanges beckoning for star pupils - adds extra zip to in house school plays. Pupil Wilson can't be far away from such drama club trips.

Can class make it to college on ability rather than results ? Depends on our automatic response to prevent other schools school bullies roughing our kids up on the way to the sweetshop. Having head boy back might help here?

Given NQT nature of staff - all is good.

Excellent thread - some great posts here. 

(Ex teachers need to be ignored - especially as their classroom budget is currently twice that of most schools in this league. Failure to pass exam at Fulham High still irritates. As mentioned above the theory of education is complex, including styles and practices of teaching).

Medical examination (aka sports science) must continue to avoid any playground accidents in winter months! 

Overall - good stuff from all.

Computer department keeping track if all  communication issues. Are we allowed to give all laptop users an A* or as Frank says "one doesn't write ones own reports" (????)

I'd love to do a private eye style school mag ….

St Mels School rag

Gossip column following the hurried departure of Mr Rush the bursar

Year Head Mr Lampard has just become a dad again

Every one hopes the head master won't have to visit the changing room again

Lawrence T suspended

Famous alumni 

Disruptive parents

Ofstead visit 

Inter schools sports day

Call me Dave:  classroom motivational speech from a senior pupil

Swat Training : B. Johnson 

Your favourite Teacher /  Teachers wife

How everyone is looking forward to reinstatement of the school trip to a foreign country

Archived