Declining attendances

superzak

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the amount of Premiership and Champions Leagues game on TV affects attendances in the leagues below. Champions League was on last night, so a few may have stayed in to watch that. 

Premier League matches are shown on weekends and weekdays live. Maybe football fans are getting their “fix” on the tv? Also, the commentators do like to mention the difference in standard everytime a team that has gone up to the Premiership makes a mistake or misses a chance. In essence, any football outside of the Premiership is deemed to be of such inferior quality. This may be the case but the experience of going to a live match is lost on some younger fans.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

It’s a good topic and a question I raised in the match day thread regards the assertion by some last season that attendances were dropping because of rowettball which I didn’t believe was the case to any significant degree

The matches I attended last year looked visibly less than the previous season to my mind...and the disillusionment with rowett all was palpable around me....

37 minutes ago, rammieib said:

In the Championship, Gate revenue is still 40-50% of a clubs income stream so actually they need to maximise the amount of money they can generate and this becomes the priority over ticket prices.

Per the last set of accounts DCFC ticket income made up 29% of total income (excluding player sales) which would have taken it down to around 15% I think.

People get out of the habit of going if there is a manager and they are not keen on the style of football etc .Once they start doing something else on a Saturday afternoon it's  hard getting them back.

I know loads of what I used to consider hard core Derby fans that now only go once in a while . 

TV is killing football, I refuse to pay, the money saved pays for the season ticket. Football in this country is far too expensive, tickets prices are bonkers £37 to go and see 2nd division football ?

The price of a season ticket in the championship the same as top teams in the CL on the continent ? 

This being said very average players are earning a fortune and someone has got to pay for this.

Why would Abdou Camara leave a team 3rd in the top tier of the French league to come and play second decision football ?

75% prices, 25% lack of time.

Used to go pretty much every game 18-22, then it tailed off when I had to start paying more than £20 on a regular basis, then tailed off further when you get things like a house and mates move away.

I don't have Sky, and never will, so not a factor for me for home games, might influence the decision on whether or not to go away, but more because of changes to kick off time than because I could watch for free in a pub.

Sometimes I've fancied popping along on a Tuesday night after work, but then I look at the price (particularly if it's on the day) and think "£30?", sod that.

Quality of football is not a factor at all in that decision. Going to Crawley Town away on a rainy January Monday night under Nigel Clough hardens you to that kind of thing.

Time spent at the ground is about 2 hours.

Minimum wage is £7.83.

Cost of a ticket should be in line with what you'd earn in two hours - £15.66, let's round down to £15.

You should not have to work a full day on minimum wage to take yourself and your son to watch your local 2nd division football team, which is what it is now. In my opinion.

19 minutes ago, gfs1ram said:

Dare I say this but maybe we need to consider Forest's current approach!!

Kids for £10 and teens for £50 per season ticket I believe.

Their attendances have increased -and it's certainly not due to their football  ?

I thought for a minute you meant all the family speed dating sessions they hold.

8 hours ago, David said:

RamsTV viewing figures have never been released, doubt they will either.

Even if you had them there is running costs to provide the service, do the FL take a cut? It's impossible to say.

Obviously the club would benefit more if you choose to pay for the RamsTV stream over Sky Sports though. 

I know some will say streaming will be the death of football but I don't see it, in fact it's enabling more fans to view the game they may not have otherwise through work, family, health and financial reasons, as you say football is expensive, especially with families.

You also have those fans that will have genuine difficulty getting games as they live thousands of miles away in other countries, we have a few ex pats on this forum that must love RamsTV more than their Netflix subscription.

Hopefully it's profitable for the club, or at least breaks even, they pump out a lot of free content that's actually very good compared to the old Rams Player service of years gone by.

Yes i use and am very impressed with Rams TV but I was more interested with SKY fees im pretty sure some years ago they paid£60k to teams being showed early cup rounds?

9 hours ago, jimbobram said:

That's great, but even £20 pound is too much for a lot of people who have the option of watching from home.

If people can't afford it then they can't, you could. Make the tickets £10 and someone will say they can't afford it, it's about making it fair which from what @angieram is saying then it would be fair to STH the that's as good as you'll get.

I live 3 hours away so a midweek game is petrol, hotel, holiday from work, that's before I consider the ticket price, so £10 to RamsTV is a no brained but saying that, if I lived local, £10 on RamsTV or £20 to go to the game, I'm at the game every time. 

9 hours ago, Newleaf said:

More than Vydra scoring after milliseconds against Forest. 

I'll be honest, at 0-0 last night I was enjoying the game, I went to the 24 second game and as pleased as I was to be 1 up against them down the road, I remember coming out disheartened at the style and wondering if GR was the man to take us forward playing dull football. 

Archived