Declining attendances

superzak

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and my friend were talking about it last night. Theres no real way of sorting it. Tickets are too expensive and so people will stay at home and watch rather than decide to come. If you make tickets cheaper to try and get people to come, it doesn't make it fair on season ticket holders. If you go without sky, you wont be able to sign players. It's just one of those things.

2 hours ago, David said:

13/14 season is the yardstick that everything appears to be judged on these days, so thought I would take a look. McClaren arrived on the 30th September, these are the midweek home games that followed.

1st Oct - v Ipswich, 21,037
4th Dec - v Boro, 24,631
28th Jan - v Yeovil, 23,615
10th Feb - v QPR, 23,495
11th Mar - v Bolton, 23,435

Couple of things worth pointing out, we were bloody good that year, there was no RamsTV, no midweek flights to Prague, Spain or wherever you fancied. Also we had a different CEO at the time so these numbers may mean nothing if you know what I mean.

I would say that 23k v a bottom half team, regardless of streams or how we play is pretty much where we are and I can't see a decline.

Saturday's are a whole different story, but these will not be effected at all by Sky.

How much do the Rams generate from Rams TV and Sky? 2 homes matches in a week can get too expensive for some

really doubt sky has much to do with it. people who like going to the football, go to the football - watching on sky isnt really the same thing. Sky need games to fill their lacklustre schedule as they have no champions league or even other leagues anymore. 

doubt ramstv makes that much money either tbh, id guess about 1000 watching on PPV maybe?

Seems like 2007/08 has created a false impression about our usual fanbase - attendances around 22k/23k are pretty standard for us when playing midweek against less than glamorous opposition. Our average of 27k is supplemented by the 30k plus for Forest & near 30k crowds for Sheff Weds, Leeds & Villa. Imagine Stoke will attract that amount too this year.

In contrast with previous weeks, thought the crowd were excellent last night - supportive during the game, no obvious frustration when losing possession etc & made plenty of noise when we were looking to breakthrough. That's the kind of backing young lads will need to continue to try things.

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Jeez, I’d walked to near the Brunny and drove to belper by 10.30pm.

Did you stop to Boo the players out the car park ??

Me too. Walked down to the Smithfield and driven home, arriving Ripley around 10.30 p.m. It hadn't rained by then.

We didn't leave the ground until we'd applauded the players off the pitch so not particularly early.

32 minutes ago, Newleaf said:

More than Vydra scoring after milliseconds against Forest. 

No but what is your point ? anyone scoring at anytime against Forest or whoever is great in my book , we didn't score last night but played some great football at times and its a work in progress and who's to say Vydra would've scored???....pure nonsense why are you sticking the knife into Lampard already when you would'nt hear a bad word against the dross we watched last season by your idol rowett ??

23 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Me and my friend were talking about it last night. Theres no real way of sorting it. Tickets are too expensive and so people will stay at home and watch rather than decide to come. If you make tickets cheaper to try and get people to come, it doesn't make it fair on season ticket holders. If you go without sky, you wont be able to sign players. It's just one of those things.

My season ticket works out at £18.59 per match. I wouldn't object to tickets being on sale for £20.

26 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Problem is Jimbo Football without fans attending is not good, make the tickets cheaper to get a few more in especially the shall we shan't we fans and the atmosphere will be better as Angieram has said if all tickets were 20 quid i think it would encourage more to go 27 seems a lot especially for some of the so called lesser teams 

Just now, TommyPowel said:

How much do the Rams generate from Rams TV and Sky? 2 homes matches in a week can get too expensive for some

RamsTV viewing figures have never been released, doubt they will either.

Even if you had them there is running costs to provide the service, do the FL take a cut? It's impossible to say.

Obviously the club would benefit more if you choose to pay for the RamsTV stream over Sky Sports though. 

I know some will say streaming will be the death of football but I don't see it, in fact it's enabling more fans to view the game they may not have otherwise through work, family, health and financial reasons, as you say football is expensive, especially with families.

You also have those fans that will have genuine difficulty getting games as they live thousands of miles away in other countries, we have a few ex pats on this forum that must love RamsTV more than their Netflix subscription.

Hopefully it's profitable for the club, or at least breaks even, they pump out a lot of free content that's actually very good compared to the old Rams Player service of years gone by.

5 minutes ago, Saity said:

No but what is your point ? anyone scoring at anytime against Forest or whoever is great in my book , we didn't score last night but played some great football at times and its a work in progress and who's to say Vydra would've scored???....pure nonsense why are you sticking the knife into Lampard already when you would'nt hear a bad word against the dross we watched last season by your idol rowett ??

I’m not sticking the knife in he’s a man than can well look after himself. 

Its different perceptions.

We did play well at times I agree on the back of a poor performance at Rotherham.

Mason Bennett is the hero all of a sudden and Frank loves him .

Lets see down the line if he still feels the same about him and don’t get me wrong I want Mason to succeed.

He has  cast aside certain players like Vydra and Martin and Thorne and Butterfield and Anya etc for loanees and youth. etc etc 

Bogle is a revelation but where does that leave Wisdom  

Forsyth is back in the fold after he signed Malone .

Wilson on loan looks ok nothing more 

Are we allowed to discuss the fact he kept losing the ball and giving free kicks away as did Waghorn and why iNugent ahead of Marriott 

14 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

That's great, but even £20 pound is too much for a lot of people who have the option of watching from home.

Well, we can't just give the seats away - we're only allowed to do that for a few games each season.

I think £20 is a benchmark that is acceptable for Championship Football and I very rarely get a ticket that low in price for away games.

Archived