Goodbye

PistoldPete2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, David said:

Always the option of setting up a group chat in private messages, that way members have absolute freedom of speech with zero moderation which won’t exist on any social media platform publicly. 

Email notifications are on by default but you can switch those off. 

Didn't know about those. @PistoldPete2 just make a group like that up and call it something like "The defence of freedom of speach" or "Consequences don't exist" then you won't have to bid us all farewell.

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

Trying not to play but I’m not one to bow down to bully’s whether verbal or physical so if people poke I poke back , what else are you supposed to do

If you think you are being trolled. Why give the person you consider to be doing the trolling the satisfaction of a response, as it's what they may be aiming to achive. Put them on your ignore list and carry on with life.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Didn't know about those. @PistoldPete2 just make a group like that up and call it something like "The defence of freedom of speach" or "Consequences don't exist" then you won't have to bid us all farewell.

It’s limited to 5 people I think but I can easily extend that if there is a demand for it. 

As for freedom of speech, that only truly exists is in private conversations or in your own home.

Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify all banned Alex Jones and Infowars this week. Tommy Robinson also banned from Twitter recently, Instagram as well I think.

All are private companies that have terms of use in place, no different to this forum.

As I mentioned the other day, all but 2 rules that are in place on this forum are terms of use that this site is under from advertising partners, server provider and laws that exist in this country.

It’s a legal minefield putting a website online and can be a total ball ache maintaining one. 

42 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

If you think you are being trolled. Why give the person you consider to be doing the trolling the satisfaction of a response, as it's what they may be aiming to achive. Put them on your ignore list and carry on with life.

You could do that I suppose but that type then move on to trolling somebody else , if you find people won’t leave you in peace then standing up for yourself is the right thing to do , perhaps it’s saturday night and a few drinks have been taken, who knows but it’s the same old stuff ,same old people as you pointed out earlier 

30 minutes ago, Archied said:

You could do that I suppose but that type then move on to trolling somebody else , if you find people won’t leave you in peace then standing up for yourself is the right thing to do , perhaps it’s saturday night and a few drinks have been taken, who knows but it’s the same old stuff ,same old people as you pointed out earlier 

Your idea of standing up for yourself could be taken by someone else, as you attacking them and being trolled by you. So the cycle continues. Sometimes to break that cycle, it takes the stronger person to act, even if that action can be perceived as a weakness.

If after the actions taken by one side to resolve the situation doesn't work then surely it must be left to the forum Mods to deal with the problem or we could be back at square one. 

4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can someome just make a group on Facebook/something similar and the people who want to debate 'politics' can go there.

I think that's missing the point, personally. A forum like this isn't just a space to discuss football, politics, or whatever, it's also a community. The extended range of topics gives people the opportunity to get to know each other better. Derby County is the starting point, certainly, but people on here have more in common than that, even in disagreement. 

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Your idea of standing up for yourself could be taken by someone else, as you attacking them and being trolled by you. So the cycle continues. Sometimes to break that cycle, it takes the stronger person to act, even if that action can be perceived as a weakness.

If after the actions taken by one side to resolve the situation doesn't work then surely it must be left to the forum Mods to deal with the problem or we could be back at square one. 

Takes two minutes to go back a few pages and see that I was not involved in the thread and mentioned nobody ,let alone attacked or be in a position to be perceived as attacking or trolling , personaly I don’t have a problem with anyone trolling me as I will stand up to it and would not leave this site because of it the only reason I would leave is if I was not allowed to stand up for myself within forum rules

11 hours ago, David said:

It’s limited to 5 people I think but I can easily extend that if there is a demand for it. 

As for freedom of speech, that only truly exists is in private conversations or in your own home.

Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify all banned Alex Jones and Infowars this week. Tommy Robinson also banned from Twitter recently, Instagram as well I think.

All are private companies that have terms of use in place, no different to this forum.

As I mentioned the other day, all but 2 rules that are in place on this forum are terms of use that this site is under from advertising partners, server provider and laws that exist in this country.

It’s a legal minefield putting a website online and can be a total ball ache maintaining one. 

David, freedom of speech is  a principle, generally to be encouraged. You cant say it doesnt exist anymore than kindness dosnt exist. 

I think what you mean is that freedom of speech as a legal right doesnt exist for a private company that can set its own rules. Well I dont think that's true either. Private companies may well have contracts for employees saying they cant criticise anything the company does. But if the employees get fired, the Companies can still get done under whistleblowing legislation or Human Rights.

Not saying this is that heavy, but theres very good reasons why freedoom of speech has some protection in law.  

If your adverstisers are causing you grief then thats just the way it is , just such a shame they are spoliing the forum through commercial pressures.

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

David, freedom of speech is  a principle, generally to be encouraged. You cant say it doesnt exist anymore than kindness dosnt exist. 

I think what you mean is that freedom of speech as a legal right doesnt exist for a private company that can set its own rules. Well I dont think that's true either. Private companies may well have contracts for employees saying they cant criticise anything the company does. But if the employees get fired, the Companies can still get done under whistleblowing legislation or Human Rights.

Not saying this is that heavy, but theres very good reasons why freedoom of speech has some protection in law.  

If your adverstisers are causing you grief then thats just the way it is , just such a shame they are spoliing the forum through commercial pressures.

I’m talking about users of social media platforms.

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, all have terms of use which prevent freedom of speech. 

You say you are devoted to freedom of speech, then in the next breath say that Racism, homophobia, antithesis to particular religions and the like have no place on the Internet.

Freedom of speech is without censorship and legal penalty. I’m sorry but you won’t find that on any platform. 

We have our own set of terms on this forum, within those we encourage users to voice their opinions. Some terms come from advertising partners which this forum would not exist at all without, others from server providers and 2 which I have personally put in place to ensure that this forum friendly environment for Derby County fans to voice their opinions on the club and that will always be the goal for this forum.

I hope you find a forum that suits you needs more than dcfcfans.uk does. 

27 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think what you mean is that freedom of speech as a legal right doesnt exist...

It also doesn't exist when it comes to expressing views that are hateful towards protected groups.

The usual people will roll their eyes at me for saying it, but that is the law, and that is the issue here. I linked the relevant legal passages in the other thread, for those who are unclear. 

It's not that we can't discuss certain subjects without arguing that is the problem, it's that the forum can't moderate a legal fine line on certain views that are being expressed. That's my understanding, anyway. 

14 hours ago, angieram said:

If you only come here for the political debate is it the right forum choice in the first place? I don't know.And if you come here for both, couldn't you continue to debate football here but go elsewhere for your political fix

The reason I posted so much in the pub was because it was a rare opportunity to talk about stuff with people who didn't necessarily agree with you. And because we were all here primarily as Rams fans it always felt like that anchored some mutual respect despite any disagreements. It's hard to find that platform online. Political forums are either echo chambers or toxic bullying arenas

I was away for two weeks and completely missed the incident that caused the rule change, so I don't know what was said or how bad it got but I can only assume it was my absence as the calming voice of reason that was the problem ?

It's a shame, but I understand it and it's only a website...

Personally, I don't blame Pete for this. The forum has become more sanitised and, as a consequence, less interesting.

In the past I have taken breaks when things got a bit too visceral but I knew I could come back when it all calmed down and I could get back involved in discussions with people I didn't agree with (including Pete).

I think that's gone now and if I did take another break I would wonder what there was to come back to.

It's just got a bit dull.

17 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Personally, I don't blame Pete for this. The forum has become more sanitised and, as a consequence, less interesting.

In the past I have taken breaks when things got a bit too visceral but I knew I could come back when it all calmed down and I could get back involved in discussions with people I didn't agree with (including Pete).

I think that's gone now and if I did take another break I would wonder what there was to come back to.

It's just got a bit dull.

Taking a break is the secret.. I have had a couple in my time. I don't post too much in the main Rams forum now, as my views on certain things are way off what I read. I bite now and again but I am only human. I tended to stay away from certain topics in the Pub but again strayed on occasion. The shame is that some threads were actually quite interesting and informative. On occasions the BREXIT thread was excellent.

Anyway as long as we don't lose the 'What are you eating tonight' thread or the 'Watches to dream for' thread. I am okay.

We could ban puns though but @Steve How Hard? & @Boycie could struggle to contribute going forward.

So can we agree Sex, Politics, religion & Puns should be added?

16 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Taking a break is the secret.. I have had a couple in my time. I don't post too much in the main Rams forum now, as my views on certain things are way off what I read. I bite now and again but I am only human. I tended to stay away from certain topics in the Pub but again strayed on occasion. The shame is that some threads were actually quite interesting and informative. On occasions the BREXIT thread was excellent.

Anyway as long as we don't lose the 'What are you eating tonight' thread or the 'Watches to dream for' thread. I am okay.

We could ban puns though but @Steve How Hard? & @Boycie could struggle to contribute going forward.

GifMeme11182109092018.gif.cc84800ebce6804e2bbaab085eb559fa.gif

37 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Ban puns and I’m flouncing off anorl!!

Archived