Goodbye

PistoldPete2

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Ffs this is a football forum to talk about Derby County if you want to talk about Trump, May or that other Dick then find a political forum to spout your tripe. Who cares I for one think this is a better place with these subjects banned. It’s a minority that has ruined it for the rest. What is best the minority don’t even realise who they are.

I think a lot of us here played a part - I have always been civil, never abused anyone, had any posts deleted or received any warnings but knew that my presence here wound a few up.  You always kinda knew which threads were going to descend into ranting and abuse before it happened, I'm all for free speech but the forum is a better place without the aggro tbh.

Far be it for me to comment on the OPs decision to leave the forum but my personal opinion is that we're here for football, mostly Derby and anything else is fluff, if you're leaving because certain topics are now off limits then you're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

27 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think a lot of us here played a part - I have always been civil, never abused anyone, had any posts deleted or received any warnings but knew that my presence here wound a few up.  You always kinda knew which threads were going to descend into ranting and abuse before it happened, I'm all for free speech but the forum is a better place without the aggro tbh.

Far be it for me to comment on the OPs decision to leave the forum but my personal opinion is that we're here for football, mostly Derby and anything else is fluff, if you're leaving because certain topics are now off limits then you're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Since I signed up on here I have found out who Derby have signed before the club even know. I have found it invaluable to get information about tickets and away travel, pubs to go to etc. The members who have given this information have been fantastic I have even had the pleasure of meeting a few too. 

I’m on here to discuss the Rams laugh at Forests failures and to try and win the prediction league.

I honestly think you see just as much nastiness in the football threads as you do in the threads removed/banned.

In the removed threads, I thought the people involved on opposite sides always held their own in the debate, and although it got fractious on occasions it rarely overstepped any legal lines.

In the football threads however, people will pull you up on your spelling(as if that makes your whole post invalid), say you know nothing about football (even though by posting on a football forum you obviously have more than a passing interest), question your loyalty etc on a frequent basis.

Although I understand why such threads are no longer acceptable, after all they're not the primary reason we're here, for me personally it's a shame that the one part of the forum that could always educate and surprise, and make your blood pressure rise, has gone.

On a side note, having looked at other teams forums in the past, two things stand out for me here as positives.

1. The lack of bad language, it's refreshing to see the lack of profanity on here compared to others, shows better class.

2. The lack of a Clique on here.

@David and @Boycie aside, which is obviously based on a friendship, I don't see any of the things you'd expect from a Clique on this forum.

23 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I honestly think you see just as much nastiness in the football threads as you do in the threads removed/banned.

In the removed threads, I thought the people involved on opposite sides always held their own in the debate, and although it got fractious on occasions it rarely overstepped any legal lines.

In the football threads however, people will pull you up on your spelling(as if that makes your whole post invalid), say you know nothing about football (even though by posting on a football forum you obviously have more than a passing interest), question your loyalty etc on a frequent basis.

Although I understand why such threads are no longer acceptable, after all they're not the primary reason we're here, for me personally it's a shame that the one part of the forum that could always educate and surprise, and make your blood pressure rise, has gone.

On a side note, having looked at other teams forums in the past, two things stand out for me here as positives.

1. The lack of bad language, it's refreshing to see the lack of profanity on here compared to others, shows better class.

2. The lack of a Clique on here.

@David and @Boycie aside, which is obviously based on a friendship, I don't see any of the things you'd expect from a Clique on this forum.

You were always my favourite.

I've never really read or posted much in the politics threads so I have no idea what has kicked off. I come here to talk about football mainly.

I can therefore understand the frustration of a team of moderators, who have also presumably come here from a love of football and who freely give up their time to keep a friendly eye on the rest of us, having to spend a major amount of time moderating heavy going political threads.

If you only come here for the political debate is it the right forum choice in the first place? I don't know.

And if you come here for both, couldn't you continue to debate football here but go elsewhere for your political fix?

The above is a general comment, not aimed at you @PistoldPete2 .

@PistoldPete (ignore this line , I can't remove the wrong link!)

I hope you will stay as I know you post in the football threads. 

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

I've never really read or posted much in the politics threads so I have no idea what has kicked off. I come here to talk about football mainly.

I can therefore understand the frustration of a team of moderators, who have also presumably come here from a love of football and who freely give up their time to keep a friendly eye on the rest of us, having to spend a major amount of time moderating heavy going political threads.

If you only come here for the political debate is it the right forum choice in the first place? I don't know.

And if you come here for both, couldn't you continue to debate football here but go elsewhere for your political fix?

The above is a general comment, not aimed at you @PistoldPete2 .

@PistoldPete (ignore this line , I can't remove the wrong link!)

I hope you will stay as I know you post in the football threads. 

Stop making sense

5 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

After 9 years , 6,000 posts from me and many more from my alter ego predecessor , it is time for me to bow out of the DCFC fans forum.

Of course, I'm not bowing out of being a DCFC fan... Once a ram always a Ram. 

But as well as my devotion to the Rams I am also devoted to other things, one of those things being free speech. Sorry if that sounds precious , pompous or self righteous but there we are. 

Racism, homophobia, antithesis to particular religions and the like have no place on the Internet or anywhere else. But within those boundaries, a forum especially  is an outlet for views and of course not everyone will agree with every view. That is sort of the point. A zero tolerance of other people's views is really no better than any other form of intolerance. 

People should be treated with courtesy and respect. So I would like to thank David and his team for hosting what is a very well presented forum and one that historically until now has been informative and entertaining. 

So farewell and Come on You Rams!

Best of luck to you mate, a good poster with good contributions, you'll be missed. You've made a cardinal sin to post a swan song though but given you have, I sense your being more deferential than you perhaps actually are. They say any large organisation by default goes group think over time as free thought becomes intolerable but likewise IME many a good forum gets run over by overzealousness/busybodiness, a pity as its my suspicion it is mostly about making a big call and not having a nugacious job role at the end of the day. Read into that what you will but I don't buy people's self importance either when it comes to free speech. The football forum is worth a read still mind :).

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can someome just make a group on Facebook/something similar and the people who want to debate 'politics' can go there.

Then the mods won't have to waste more of their spare time dealing with threads like this.

The question is though would that work ? My bet is the numbers wanting to join it would be very slim where as doing this stuff on a football forum gives a captive audience of people to goad and poke with sticks and the cost of leaving is missing out on the real reason you joined in the first place,ie a very good derby county forum 

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can someome just make a group on Facebook/something similar and the people who want to debate 'politics' can go there.

Then the mods won't have to waste more of their spare time dealing with threads like this.

That’s a good idea, until someone complains to Facebook and you get Facebook jail for 48 hours.

17 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Always the option of setting up a group chat in private messages, that way members have absolute freedom of speech with zero moderation which won’t exist on any social media platform publicly. 

Email notifications are on by default but you can switch those off. 

12 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Best of luck to you mate, a good poster with good contributions, you'll be missed. You've made a cardinal sin to post a swan song though but given you have, I sense your being more deferential than you perhaps actually are. They say any large organisation by default goes group think over time as free thought becomes intolerable but likewise IME many a good forum gets run over by overzealousness/busybodiness, a pity as its my suspicion it is mostly about making a big call and not having a nugacious job role at the end of the day. Read into that what you will but I don't buy people's self importance either when it comes to free speech. The football forum is worth a read still mind :).

Interesting comments. I will have to look up nugacious...nothing to do with our centre forward?  As for self importance and free speech ...  I Haven't said its my comments I object to being censored. There's plenty of people whose views I really don't agree with... But I want to hear what they have to say. Censorship is a very very bad idea. 

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Interesting comments. I will have to look up nugacious...nothing to do with our centre forward?  As for self importance and free speech ...  I Haven't said its my comments I object to being censored. There's plenty of people whose views I really don't agree with... But I want to hear what they have to say. Censorship is a very very bad idea. 

It can only really work if there is no censorship at all otherwise the integrity of the forum is compromised 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

It can only really work if there is no censorship at all otherwise the integrity of the forum is compromised 

I'm praying the new rules extend to the annual footballer and poppy debate. Censorship is good when it saves you from such dull and repetitive "debate".

Archived