TIFO football on how Derby County were the biggest losers in the QPR FFP scandal.

The Baron

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the worst things about it was QPR were a mess at the time. They had nothing to offer the Premier League, and their limp relegation a season later followed by midtable Championship obscurity goes to show that.

Derby on the other hand had so much going for them, and the people involved. It would have great for Mac to have a proper crack at the PL again after all the years of taunt. Hughes, Thorne and Hendrick... Imagine building on that. Buxton playing in the PL would have been a fairytale, Chris Martin deserved a shot as did Keogh.

It was a major injustice.

Don't get me wrong, Derby could have also been relegated a year later in the PL and have both Sam Rush and Paul Clement blow all our parachute money on absolute crap like they did with Mel's money.

But what QPR did, and the punishment they've received, is a joke. Hopefully they now endure a decade of rubbish Championship football. 

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

My argument for FFP is that an owner should be allowed to put into the club whatever he sees fit, whether that means someone in this league investing £200m in a striker, I really don't care. 

They should be allowed to put in whatever they want on the proviso:

1) we know that owners lending money in the form of a loan to their club is the norm, however, this should be an agreed limit (£7-8m whatever) anything above that needs to be written off immediately by the owner. QPR's owners wrote off £60m worth of debt owed to them, but the EFL said that wasn't allowed. I'm not sure why? This means QPR - the club - isn't straddled with the long term affects.

2) in order to stop someone coming in, offering daft contracts then buggering off. All contracts issued should be guaranteed by the owner. In the instance where there is a buy out or he wants to sell up. It's up to the owner who offered the contracts to leave the club with enough money from the sale or from their own personal funds to cover the remainder of the contracts left. 

I don't see how if those two points are covered how any club could be in trouble, also it doesn't stop ambitious owners from putting their money where their mouth is. Perhaps it isn't & can't be that simple, but I don't know. 

FFP was brought in by the Premier League for exactly that reason, to stop other clubs doing a Man City and pushing one of the "big" clubs out of the lucrative Champions League spots.

Me and my ten year old boy were on the tube home after that match. My boy had his head in my lap sobbing after the result.

A QPR fella sat opposite (probably about 50) with two youngish lads sat either side of him, nudges them both, points at my lad, and they all start laughing.

Never before have I been as close to football hoolaganism than at that moment.

I have despised QPR ever since.

15 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Leicester also Spent over their FFP limit that season.

The same Leicester that a few years before went into administration at a time totally suited to them, shafted a lot of local businesses, and we're then taken over and went on a spending spree. 

15 hours ago, Woodley Ram said:

I don’t mind QPR I work with a lot of their fans who are good people and I think that QPR are a proper football club , we lost on the day in a similar fashion that we previously beat West Brom so do not hold a bitter feelings or the fact they overspent because they got a fine for it.

my only issue with them and that includes my work mates is that they think they are being hard done by. As I tell them ‘ if you do the crime , do the time” 

I thought they will really lucky to have the reduction in the fine and have been treated differently than others . I don’t want to see them go bust but I think they got off very lightly 

they should accept that 

Hard done by? They chose to appoint McClaren, that wasn't an EFL punishment.

we walked across the bridge after the game the QPR fans were delirious understandably but several decided to jump around me and my nephew singing your'e F$$$$$G S$$T pushing and jumping into us, i kept my cool held back and let them pass, after we got back on the coach and set off home we all saw one of those QPR fans on his own giving us some stick so we decided to give him some back with the traffic being bad we had a good 25 minutes of ripping into him all the way down the road! he was almost crying by the end of it!

7 minutes ago, Lakes said:

we walked across the bridge after the game the QPR fans were delirious understandably but several decided to jump around me and my nephew singing your'e F$$$$$G S$$T pushing and jumping into us, i kept my cool held back and let them pass, after we got back on the coach and set off home we all saw one of those QPR fans on his own giving us some stick so we decided to give him some back with the traffic being bad we had a good 25 minutes of ripping into him all the way down the road! he was almost crying by the end of it!

A similar thing happened to a girl at my work who went down with her sister and seven year old (at the time ) nephew.  They were stuck in traffic and 5 or 6 QPR big men targeted the car .  Unfortunately, they didn't see the PM Harris work van with six tarmacers in it just ahead in there efforts to target two women and a child, the tables quickly turned on them when the back of the van opened .

On 05/09/2018 at 16:53, Igorwasking said:

Me and my ten year old boy were on the tube home after that match. My boy had his head in my lap sobbing after the result.

A QPR fella sat opposite (probably about 50) with two youngish lads sat either side of him, nudges them both, points at my lad, and they all start laughing.

Never before have I been as close to football hoolaganism than at that moment.

I have despised QPR ever since.

I think just about every one of us, metaphorically speaking of course, had our heads in your lap that day. To my mind, this is where the “do the crime, do the time” adage others have referred to becomes relevant.

For both clubs quite frankly in regards both to what happened that day and what’s happened ever since.

To those QPR fans who thought the scene of a dad comforting his hurting son warranted THAT, the Football Gods delivered their judgement and you’re serving your damnation. My only (passing) thought in regards those sorts of QPR fans is expressed in the poem, ‘The Road Not Taken’; you could have shown a little boy some compassion and even acknowledged how well your opponents did that day. A little humility would’ve earned some respite from the subsequent humiliation.

Them’s the breaks, as they say in the classics.

By contrast, those QPR fans and even club officials (even ‘Arry to an extent, as much as I cannot stand the man) who behaved with a little sportsmanship have my respect and, for them, I hope QPR come through their present travails stronger for them.

Now....to Derby....have WE, as a club and as Derby fans in general, emerged stronger from the hurt of that day?

I can honestly say that, in my 52 years, I don’t think I have ever been more proud - more in love with, if you will - my club than I was that day. 

I loved McLaren’s response on the pitch and in the days following the defeat that day. I, for probably the first time in my life (I had only just turned 7 when Mr Clough went a-wandering so I can be excused, I hope, for excluding The Clough Years from this) genuinely believed that Derby County, the club that was passed down to me by the grandfather I never met, was on the precipice of fulfilling the potential that it’s always had to be a great football club. We’d done the hard work of rebuilding from the ruins of 2007-8 - after which, lesser clubs could easily have laid down and died - and, in so doing, eschewed the quick fixes too.

Defeat that day, taken for what it was, could have been the making of the Derby County Football Club.  Had that brilliant young team found within themselves the steel that comes only from the hurt of such losses; had the entire club - including the fans - seen that day for what it could’ve been: a platform from which to build the Derby County which, not content with just flirting with greatness from time-to-time as we’ve historically done, methodically sets expectations in order to exceed them.

But, instead of doing the hard work of continuing to build every aspect of the business as we’d done in the preceding five years, we got tempted - yet again - by the easy fix.

Derby County weren’t the biggest losers of that day. As others have said, we were no more losers out of that day than the other 22 clubs in the Championship were. We were just the actors on stage when the art of the quick fix - the reason, more than any other, that I’ll loathe ‘Arry and his kind until the day I die - was seen to triumph over hard work and the ambition to improve from within. Indeed, there is an argument that the honourable supporters of QPR were bigger losers from that day.

What WE lost as a result of that day was taken from us by us. 

By The Road Not Taken.

If the unlikely event that you happen to be wondering, The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost:

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

7 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

If the unlikely event that you happen to be wondering, The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost:

Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

I hope old Robert had a day-time job.

On 08/09/2018 at 06:16, EssendonRam said: