Chris Martin - Signed for Hull City on a season long loan

Animal is a Ram

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not really just talking under Rowett, he didn’t really play enough to judge him just off that, but under clement as well he didn’t look anywhere near as good as he used to. Something not picked up on really, but his touch seemed to have deserted him and he wasn’t linking play anywhere near as good as he used to. All imo of course, but I was very frustrated watching him 2016 onward. So frustrated in fact that I actually backed pearsons move to ship him out, however tha was under the proviso he was replaced....which he... wasn’t. Regardless it’s all in the past now anywhere, who knows how good he is now really. Been a difficult year for him, and he may yet back up to his best, which was indeed excellent. He must have serious determination to carry on with the illness he’s had, I’ve had issues in a similar area and there’s no way I could play 90 mins of football now, yet alone make a career out of it.

The Clement years are interesting and something I’d like to look at it more detail. Think the problem became that they became too reliant on him within the overall attack in that the ball was going to him a lot in the build up. This meant he was still contributing, we were still winning games and he was a big part to that, but his own scoring dried up. He was playing 10 yards back to where he had been 12 months prior, so if a ball was being crossed he was closer to the edge of the box than the six yard box and I think that was the issue. I think that was happening because of the over reliance on him in the build up. 

Clement, much like McClaren did with Bryson the previous season (he wanted Brys to contribute more in the centre of the pitch than run into the box) tried to tweak his game and it didn’t work. It’s arguable that is part of what Clement got vastly wrong in his time here.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not really just talking under Rowett, he didn’t really play enough to judge him just off that, but under clement as well he didn’t look anywhere near as good as he used to. Something not picked up on really, but his touch seemed to have deserted him and he wasn’t linking play anywhere near as good as he used to. All imo of course, but I was very frustrated watching him 2016 onward. So frustrated in fact that I actually backed pearsons move to ship him out, however tha was under the proviso he was replaced....which he... wasn’t. Regardless it’s all in the past now anywhere, who knows how good he is now really. Been a difficult year for him, and he may yet back up to his best, which was indeed excellent. He must have serious determination to carry on with the illness he’s had, I’ve had issues in a similar area and there’s no way I could play 90 mins of football now, yet alone make a career out of it.

He bagged 15 and created 12 in a conservative system with the ‘dynamic’ midfield runners being Jacob Butterfield and Bradley Johnson

Just now, cannable said:

He bagged 15 and created 12 in a conservative system with the ‘dynamic’ midfield runners being Jacob Butterfield and Bradley Johnson

But I’m talking beyond statistics, in his general play. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me, but for me he was significantly poorer as an individual in 15/16 than he was before his 2015 injury under Mac. FWIW i agree the system was at fault to why he didn’t hit twenty absolutely, but I still feel he didn’t look the same player beyond that.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

But I’m talking beyond statistics, in his general play. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me, but for me he was significantly poorer as an individual in 15/16 than he was before his 2015 injury under Mac. FWIW i agree the system was at fault to why he didn’t hit twenty absolutely, but I still feel he didn’t look the same player beyond that.

I guess not everyone liked playing for Clement?!

I know a lot are going to miss him, and he provided many great moments for a couple of seasons, but for the last two years the managers of our club haven’t deemed him right for the team.  I accept Pearson and Rowett were never likely to appreciate his qualities, but he clearly hasn’t done enough to impress Lampard and in my view he is not the player he was, nor I doubt he will be again. Overall, in my opinion, this is now no great loss. That all said, for all those goals and good days he gave me I really do hope he does settle well at Hull and gets his career back on track.

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Systems affect general play as well, he went from three or four of Bryson/Jeff/Hughes/Wardy/Russell running off of him to just Russell and occasionally Weimann, lots of players linking up and making third-man runs to static football 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Systems affect general play as well, he went from three or four of Bryson/Jeff/Hughes/Wardy/Russell running off of him to just Russell and occasionally Weimann, lots of players linking up and making third-man runs to static football 

Perhaps, i dunno he just didn’t quite seem right to me. That said he certainly seemed to be getting back to his best at Fulham so there’s certainly an arguement to be made of the impact on him of a good coach.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Can only wish him all the best - again.

For all those who constantly criticise him - yet again he has gone out on loan to try to get first team football.  I hope he does really well there. 

Well said, ?intresting that this is the third loan to a team with parachute money ? 

So long my beloved wardrobe. It would appear that the door on your Derby career is almost clothesd. Thanks for the many memories. Would have been great to create some more but it sadly wasn't to be. Love or loathe him, it will only benefit Derby County if he can rekindle his sublime skills at Hull. I wish him all the best. He's up there as one of my all time favourite Rams.

7 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

So long my beloved wardrobe. It would appear that the door on your Derby career is almost clothesd. Thanks for the many memories. Would have been great to create some more but it sadly wasn't to be. Love or loathe him, it will only benefit Derby County if he can rekindle his sublime skills at Hull. I wish him all the best. He's up there as one of my all time favourite Rams.

I see what you did there!

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Players come players go......it's football!

And people have wanted to show appreciation to a player who they had a lot of time for...that’s football too, and maybe a much nicer side. Didn’t Vydra get the same treatment? Hughes etc?

5 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

Sounds like there is no commitment then, but if he does well, something could materialise.

Wonder what the market rate for Martin would be next summer if he bags 20 for them this season ?

Hull haven’t seemingly got any intention of splashing cash according to my Hull supporting mate; locals  speculating say the final peen payment will see the Allam’s look to move on.

Which doesn’t encourage me Martin will be permanently signed; hence I believe another saga next summer.

Archived