Chris Martin - Signed for Hull City on a season long loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone knows my thoughts on Martin so I'm sad to see him go just as the right system was back at the club.

But credit to him for just wanting to play football which is all he ever said he wanted to do.

Still the best striker we had and probably the most loyal to his club but in a way it's good that he has moved on and the speculation can now end...hopefully it will be a permanent move for him.

I'll continue to watch his career with interest.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Since posting that, Chris Coles from Radio Derby has made a tweet ending with:

"Game time, goals and consistency is what he, Hull and Derby would like - followed by a permanent transfer"

Sounds like there is no commitment then, but if he does well, something could materialise.

Wonder what the market rate for Martin would be next summer if he bags 20 for them this season ?

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m here for you mate, we’ve all got to get through this together

5 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Everyone knows my thoughts on Martin so I'm sad to see him go just as the right system was back at the club.

But credit to him for just wanting to play football which is all he ever said he wanted to do.

Still the best striker we had and probably the most loyal to his club but in a way it's good that he has moved on and the speculation can now end...hopefully it will be a permanent move for him.

I'll continue to watch his career with interest.

It hurts ???

Will be a sad day when he does eventually leave the club permanently but certainly is something that will need to happen, he’s just not been the same player. It’s a great shame for such a thing to happen to not only a brilliant player but also a great servent, but his time is done here.

As I said about a potential QPR move, this is a good deal. Not going to play for us and is going to a team I wouldn't expect to be anywhere near us, where he should be an important player. Let's hope he does us proud and builds his value back up. 

23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Will be a sad day when he does eventually leave the club permanently but certainly is something that will need to happen, he’s just not been the same player. It’s a great shame for such a thing to happen to not only a brilliant player but also a great servent, but his time is done here.

I still don’t get this argument, under Rowett he was still the same old player just in a system that didn’t suit him 

Probably the best all round striker I’ve seen at Derby in my 20 plus years watching, or at least the more intelligent. Fully understand people will think of more in previous eras, but Indont think anyone else tops him since the final days of the baseball ground anyway.  He deserves only respect and appreciation for his contribution here, I think he’s probably a goal against forest away from being a Derby legend. But when we talk about playing football and ‘the Derby way’, it was the style of play with Martin that is the blueprint for what we expect as fans in the modern era, and ultimately why Rowett’s style was rejected by so many.

He was the vital part of a team that made watching football so enjoyable again for me, then when Pearson came and tried to get rid of him it kinda fell back into ‘thing I did on a Saturday’ of which continued into the Rowett reign. His influence and style of play in those years were the difference between an afternoon of football or an entertaining afternoon of football.

It’s worth saying that now after a decent World Cup and a new look Derby team/management that excitement is back, and as much as I want him part of the team, it feels the time has passed. It’s time for us to look into the new players and let them settle like we did before with Martin, Bryson, Hughes etc.

So here’s a nod of appreciation to him, hopefully one day when he returns to Pride Park we can give him the send off he deserves from the Derby fans. I can’t currently think of another Derby player I’ve had the joy of watching except maybe Hughes.

Cheers mate.

Oh, also he went and saw David O’ Doherty live once so I liked he had a good taste in stand ups too!

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

I still don’t get this argument, under Rowett he was still the same old player just in a system that didn’t suit him 

I’m not really just talking under Rowett, he didn’t really play enough to judge him just off that, but under clement as well he didn’t look anywhere near as good as he used to. Something not picked up on really, but his touch seemed to have deserted him and he wasn’t linking play anywhere near as good as he used to. All imo of course, but I was very frustrated watching him 2016 onward. So frustrated in fact that I actually backed pearsons move to ship him out, however tha was under the proviso he was replaced....which he... wasn’t. Regardless it’s all in the past now anywhere, who knows how good he is now really. Been a difficult year for him, and he may yet back up to his best, which was indeed excellent. He must have serious determination to carry on with the illness he’s had, I’ve had issues in a similar area and there’s no way I could play 90 mins of football now, yet alone make a career out of it.

Wont forget CM's contributions toward our best football of the last 20 years, to which he was undoubtedly pivotal to.

Very intelligent footballer who could really dominate, wind up and aggravate the opposition, which i almost enjoyed as much as watching him score goals!

Archived