View from the outside 2018-2019

Derbados

7 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Waghorn was a waste of money as he is no better than Bennet and Marriot is also a waste of money if he spends his time on the bench or not even on the bench for some games. Marriot should be our best striker based of his pace ,movement and last seasons form so I think we should start him in the next few games to give him a proper chance to prove his worth. If he turns out to be as successful as  Blackman more due to a lack of game time  with Waghorn not doing much to justify his price as well and with Malone on the bench who we paid 3 mill for our summer recruitment will have proved to be pitiful and a real concern.

So are you saying you don't want us to strengthen the squad in future, just always stick with what we have got on the bench?

You do realise the players that were brought in largely replaced players that were moved out?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So are you saying you don't want us to strengthen the squad in future, just always stick with what we have got on the bench?

You do realise the players that were brought in largely replaced players that were moved out?

That's not my point , my point is we now have 9 attacking options for 3 places which is good for depth but when we could have bought in a box to box ball winning midfielder of quality  and used players like martin or Anya as a sub it makes me question whether it was wise to invest so much in attack when so far we aren't seeing the benefits as we are playing bennet and Nugent who we already had with Bennet and Nuge having a combined total of 1 goal so far even though they work hard that's not good enough.  In addition, having so many options has meant we have done loads  of rotation of the squad and we haven't been able to find our best front 3 which doesn't help the attacking players learn how to link up together and learn their roles in the team. Don't get me started on why we bought Malone only to play Forsyth a head of him when Lowe was adequate as back up and that 3mill could have been spent somewhere else.

Interesting appraisal of our performance yesterday from Tony Mowbray - 

"I am happy to take a point but I think it was an eye-opener for us in terms of the quality of the top teams in this league.

"We tried to do what we do but yet they were good enough to play round that.

"Some teams we have played against this year tended to go over the top. Derby continued to play through us first half, but I think second half we managed it better." 

I'd say he was pretty impressed and I still have a sense that we're not far off being a proper force in this division. Certainly not all doom and gloom anyway, as some would have us believe. COYR

3 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Don't get me started on why we bought Malone only to play Forsyth a head of him when Lowe was adequate as back up and that 3mill could have been spent somewhere else.

Possibly something to do with Forsyth returning to the sort of form that made him one of the best full backs in the division before his injuries. If he doesn’t keep it up his place will be taken by a quality full back signed to be first choice but has to dislodge the incumbent. 

Competition for places is good.

16 hours ago, SaffyRam said:

Yay, he saw the same game I did ?

Agreed. Apart from later on in the second half, I thought Bradley Johnson played well. Got the ball down and spread the play, and was often broke up scrappy situations. I fear we're in the minority in thinking this though. I think people expect too much of a Championship defensive midfielder if they think he will never misplace a pass or lose the ball.

16 minutes ago, Paese said:

Agreed. Apart from later on in the second half, I thought Bradley Johnson played well. Got the ball down and spread the play, and was often broke up scrappy situations. I fear we're in the minority in thinking this though. I think people expect too much of a Championship defensive midfielder if they think he will never misplace a pass or lose the ball.

I am in your minority too then!  I thought he had a very good game defensively. Some of his more attaching play left a bit to be desired, but overall pretty good.  

19 minutes ago, Paese said:

I agree with you also and said in a different thread that Bradley Johnson was excellent on Tuesday. 

57 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I agree with you also and said in a different thread that Bradley Johnson was excellent on Tuesday. 

Maybe there's more than I thought then. Perhaps we should start a fan club. We can get t-shirts with "BJ was good on Tuesday".

On second thoughts, perhaps not...

5 hours ago, Paese said:

Maybe there's more than I thought then. Perhaps we should start a fan club. We can get t-shirts with "BJ was good on Tuesday".

On second thoughts, perhaps not...

Hard to beat this today. Top marks for my ‘post of the day’ my friend ?

'Get rid of a clueless, journeyman manager, grab a nice bit of compo, and appoint a bright, young and positive man. Derby must be pissin' themselves laughing!.'

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282645/stoke-blackburn-rovers-match-thread?page=9#ixzz5RqM4hPtq

We are!

25 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

'Get rid of a clueless, journeyman manager, grab a nice bit of compo, and appoint a bright, young and positive man. Derby must be pissin' themselves laughing!.'

Read more:  http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/282645/stoke-blackburn-rovers-match-thread?page=9#ixzz5RqM4hPtq

We are!

Yes. Indeed.

Some pretty complimentary stuff from the Bees Forum….

‘Derby quick strong accurate. Without doubt the best team we've come up against’

‘Sounds like a bit of a reality check. We are definately second best so far. Need a quick goal to put some doubt into Derby's minds’

‘Derby were excellent today.. Mount especially... Got beaten by a better team.. Fair play...’

‘....yep....sometimes we do play teams who are quite simply just better than us’

‘So many intercepted passes. Derby's close down play was excellent’

‘Derby were very impressive throughout. Not sure they play like that every week. Quality in and out of possession which deserves credit’

Then a real ‘I don’t mean to be disrespectful’ soundbite from Dean Smith which made me laugh…

"It was a really good start but the manner of the goals we conceded disappointed me.

"But I don't want to take any credit away from Derby. In the second half I thought we controlled the ball.

"The manner of the goals disappointed me. The second was a ball over the top and the third was a pathetic decision to give the free-kick."

Bit lemon Deano, bit lemon!!  ?

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

‘Derby quick strong accurate. Without doubt the best team we've come up against’

‘Sounds like a bit of a reality check. We are definately second best so far. Need a quick goal to put some doubt into Derby's minds’

‘Derby were excellent today.. Mount especially... Got beaten by a better team.. Fair play...’

‘....yep....sometimes we do play teams who are quite simply just better than us’

‘So many intercepted passes. Derby's close down play was excellent’

‘Derby were very impressive throughout. Not sure they play like that every week. Quality in and out of possession which deserves credit’

Can we just take a moment to compare that to when they played Forest a couple of weeks ago ?

11 hours ago, David said:

Can we just take a moment to compare that to when they played Forest a couple of weeks ago ?

Iv loved Natalie Sawyer for years, 

after that transfer window and the yellow dress she became my number one celebritory crush.

and now I just want to marry her lol

love u nat 

On 19/09/2018 at 12:47, angieram said:

I think Marriott in particular was bought for the longer term. Nugent will probably only have this season with us at his age but I think Marriott will learn a lot from him.  

Waghorn is being introduced gradually - he had the start at Rotherham and didn't do enough for me (or Frank, obviously!) All this does is give him the message to go away and try harder in training. He'll get plenty of chances - long season with games coming thick and fast.

If you recall, Vydra had a whole season not quite working out before his really good season last year.

I actually quite like that Frank is judging players on their current form and fitness, without respect to their status or price tags! Try not to worry about that - it's not our money after all.

Agree completely 

also I believe nugent is out of contract end of this season and I wouldn’t have thought he will get a new deal with us, so gradually phasing Marriott into championship football is a pretty savvy idea in my imo 

Some people forget we’re only 9 odd games into the season, there will be injuries, suspensions and loss of form I’m sure Marriott will get plenty of opportunities to stake a claim to taking over the striking Mantle

im not worried in the slightest 

anyone who is getting there nickers in a twist over Marriott and his lack of game time .... 

Kemar roofe 

ill leave u with that while u untangle said under garments 

Archived