Next 8 games are a real opportunity for us to fly up the league and gain momentum

Marriot Ram99

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes absolutely. Focus on winning home games and gradual improvement. 

I know because it's Lampard's first season and we are playing in a different style people would accept a 10th place finish and decent football, but I wouldn't . We should be going to places like hull and Rotherham expecting to win not just relying on winning at home and scraping draws away from home. With the players we have we should finish between 2nd  and 6th  depending on luck , form and injuries with 3rd or 4th most realistic .We finished 6th last season with dire football and our annual season collapse in February if we can gain momentum and be consistent throughout the season and react well from defeats we could challenge for automatic promotion , don't forget how well we played during spells of last season and how good we looked when we beat Brentford and went two points clear of 3rd place in the start of February. We now have a better squad with more attacking talent , so if we can gain some momentum and for once avoid a collapse then we have a chance of pushing for automatic places.  We have the best Centre back in the league  Davies and the best Gk in Carson even though he can't kick a ball well, having a quality centre back and Gk makes a big difference and is one of the main reasons why I'm optimistic.

7 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

don't forget how well we played during spells of last season and how good we looked when we beat Brentford

I don’t remember thinking many times last season how well we’d played? Also are u sure u mean Brentford last season? We were on the back foot and playing awful until the ref did us a favour and sent Canos off after 20 mins. I am not disagreeing with all your comments and it has been our best start for some years. However we’ve won 2 home games vs teams which aren’t fancied, Hull away will be a test.  Let’s keep our feet grounded

We've still got to sort out our best 11.

i don't quite understand where we are going with the striker position. Similarly the defensive midfield position.

but ultimately i don't think we should overdo the expectation. For the first time this season we really played some nice stuff after going 2-0 up v Preston.

I was buzzing, and had actually forgotten that feeling. 

I’ve waited before posting a reply to this thread.

every season there are a few teams that do better than expected. Which makes these sorts of “easy games coming up” threads kind of pointless until around October or November when there’s actually some empirical evidence to support them.

i remember losing to Burnley early on in a season prompting comments like “its a terrible result and a game we should have won easily”. Comments that look kind of silly come Xmas and they were top of the table and heading for promotion.

I hope the players don’t have the same view that you have, because if they do, it will end badly. We aren’t much better than those teams if at all. Brentford and Blackburn aren’t walkovers by any stretch. We lost 4-1 at home to Sunderland earlier this year. Never take anything for granted.

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I hope the players don’t have the same view that you have, because if they do, it will end badly. We aren’t much better than those teams if at all. Brentford and Blackburn aren’t walkovers by any stretch. We lost 4-1 at home to Sunderland earlier this year. Never take anything for granted.

We are obviously better than the likes of Norwich, Hull, Rotherham, Blackburn , QPR and Bolton in terms of ability our attacking options are ridiculous compared to most of the league the players we have on the bench would good enough to get into most teams , if we are organised and match them for effort their is no reason why we shouldn't be aiming to beat these sorts of teams . We finished 6th last season and have improved the team so as long as all the other teams aren't much improved you'd expect us to finish atleast 6th again. I can't see a repeat of the Sunderland match happening under Lampard now we have a passing style making it easier to break down teams who come to defend. We are much better than bottom half teams , and if I am proved wrong and we aren't then something is very wrong after the amount we have spent on players.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

We've still got to sort out our best 11.

i don't quite understand where we are going with the striker position. Similarly the defensive midfield position.

but ultimately i don't think we should overdo the expectation. For the first time this season we really played some nice stuff after going 2-0 up v Preston.

I was buzzing, and had actually forgotten that feeling. 

We should play Waghorn on the wing  and Marriot upfront against hull in the cup to see if they can play in the same team , because ideally after spending a good amount on both you would give both of them a good amount of starts over the course of the season. I'd like to see marriot start against hull in the league and cup as surely he is fit enough now and the extra pace could really hurt hull on the counter attack.

16 hours ago, rammieib said:

We would have said Millwall was an easy match...

The Championship is simply not like this.

To be fair, Millwall have lost just 1 of their last 17 home games. They had a better home record than us last season, so definitely not an easy game. In fact, perhaps one of the toughest we'll have this season. Away from home, Millwall seem to play like a different team & it would have been an easy one. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

To be fair, Millwall have lost just 1 of their last 17 home games. They had a better home record than us last season, so definitely not an easy game. In fact, perhaps one of the toughest we'll have this season. Away from home, Millwall seem to play like a different team & it would have been an easy one. 

Millwall have won only 1 game this season

2 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Totally crass thread.

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism , I can feel us going in one of our 7 or 8 game unbeaten runs we have had in previous seasons, if we can't be hopeful of beating the likes of Hull and Rotherham then what chance do we stand of beating west Brom and Boro? and challenging for a top 2 finish ? We've not been great so far this season but I expect big improvements once the team eventually looks something like this:

Carson

Bogle/wisdom  Tomori Davies Malone/ Forsyth 

Huddlestone Johnson

Jozefoon     Mount        Lawrence

Marriot/ Waghorn

Subs; Bennet Tomori  Nugent Marriot/Waghorn  Keogh Roos

I can see Bryson or Ledley going in January as one of them or even both  won't even make the bench eventually.

4 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism , I can feel us going in one of our 7 or 8 game unbeaten runs we have had in previous seasons, if we can't be hopeful of beating the likes of Hull and Rotherham then what chance do we stand of beating west Brom and Boro? and challenging for a top 2 finish ? We've not been great so far this season but I expect big improvements once the team eventually looks something like this:

Carson

Bogle/wisdom  Tomori Davies Malone/ Forsyth 

Huddlestone Johnson

Jozefoon     Mount        Lawrence

Marriot/ Waghorn

Subs; Bennet Tomori  Nugent Marriot/Waghorn  Keogh Mitchell 

Didn't know we had signed another Mitchell,  what position does he play in.....?

Archived