Next 8 games are a real opportunity for us to fly up the league and gain momentum

Marriot Ram99

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

Why is everyone giving it large for Leeds, they did the same at the start of last season and then run out of steam. You can not play their style of football all season with 46 league games cup matches on top of this. Injuries to key players, heavy pitches etc. I am convinced they will not keep it up. If they are still in the mix come January and buy well and get the players to gel very quickly, then maybe they might stay the course. I am going to stick my neck out now and predict they will not finish 1st or 2nd.

Boro 1st  derby 2nd  I reckon

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the team who finishes 1st finishes on something like 95 -100 points like last season,  so I doubt we could get that many points as our defence doesn't strike me as title material ,  I think it will be between villa, boro and leeds for 1st but  I think 1st for derby is a bit much too ask because if mount or Huddlestone get injured our team isn't that great in midfield and our defence is good but not great. You never know, if we get lucky with injuries and we go on a great run we could have  a chance at 1st but it seems a bit unrealistic.

Our Defence is good but not great, well they haven't let in any goals in the last 3 matches, Only conceded 7 in the league so far and 4 of those were against Leeds in a game where they played really well to do us on the day. Agree Boro will be up there, because Pullis always makes his teams hard to break down and beat. If Huddlestone got injured, we have other players who can play CDM, of cause we would miss his passing ability. You could play Lawrence in Mount's position if he got injured. We have lost 2 league games out of 5, I am convinced we will get better as the squad trains and plays together and who is to say if we only lose 1 of the next 7 league games. That would change our current ratio tally of points, come the end of the season. It is early days to say our defence is not great, our points tally won't top 95 or more. It is also possible a team could win the League with around 92 points. In the last 6 seasons only Wolves (99pts) last season and Leicester (102pts) 2013/14 season have managed more than 95 points.

17 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Our Defence is good but not great, well they haven't let in any goals in the last 3 matches, Only conceded 7 in the league so far and 4 of those were against Leeds in a game where they played really well to do us on the day. Agree Boro will be up there, because Pullis always makes his teams hard to break down and beat. If Huddlestone got injured, we have other players who can play CDM, of cause we would miss his passing ability. You could play Lawrence in Mount's position if he got injured. We have lost 2 league games out of 5, I am convinced we will get better as the squad trains and plays together and who is to say if we only lose 1 of the next 7 league games. That would change our current ratio tally of points, come the end of the season. It is early days to say our defence is not great, our points tally won't top 95 or more. It is also possible a team could win the League with around 92 points. In the last 6 seasons only Wolves (99pts) last season and Leicester (102pts) 2013/14 season have managed more than 95 points.

I agree with your points but I think in Davies we have got  the best Cb in the league but everyone else in defence are decent but not rock solid and reliable enough to expect the team to win the league, I'd like to be proven wrong though.

12 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I agree with your points but I think in Davies we have got  the best Cb in the league but everyone else in defence are decent but not rock solid and reliable enough to expect the team to win the league, I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Perhaps if Curtis Davies was fit for the Leeds game we might have not conceded 4 goals

On 26/08/2018 at 21:52, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I know because it's Lampard's first season and we are playing in a different style people would accept a 10th place finish and decent football, but I wouldn't . We should be going to places like hull and Rotherham expecting to win not just relying on winning at home and scraping draws away from home. With the players we have we should finish between 2nd  and 6th  depending on luck , form and injuries with 3rd or 4th most realistic .We finished 6th last season with dire football and our annual season collapse in February if we can gain momentum and be consistent throughout the season and react well from defeats we could challenge for automatic promotion , don't forget how well we played during spells of last season and how good we looked when we beat Brentford and went two points clear of 3rd place in the start of February. We now have a better squad with more attacking talent , so if we can gain some momentum and for once avoid a collapse then we have a chance of pushing for automatic places.  We have the best Centre back in the league  Davies and the best Gk in Carson even though he can't kick a ball well, having a quality centre back and Gk makes a big difference and is one of the main reasons why I'm optimistic.

Of course everyone wants a top six finish. However, the results against Ipswich and Leeds are reality, not imaginary.

22 minutes ago, europia said:

Of course everyone wants a top six finish. However, the results against Ipswich and Leeds are reality, not imaginary.

you mean millwall right? we are 6th at the minute regardless of the poor performances in the first 3 games , if we beat hull we will then be in a very good position and with davies to come back in and improve the team things will be looking good.

Davies would of helped against Leeds, but I saw enough to convince me that they will be challenging. They have an experienced coach and players that have been together for a while, recipe for success, most of the time. Back to this thread, I will take one game at a time, no game is easy in this league. Our fixtures are favourable early on, so we need to take full advantage, to keep the pressure on the others.  

15 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Why is everyone giving it large for Leeds, they did the same at the start of last season and then run out of steam. You can not play their style of football all season with 46 league games cup matches on top of this. Injuries to key players, heavy pitches etc. I am convinced they will not keep it up. If they are still in the mix come January and buy well and get the players to gel very quickly, then maybe they might stay the course. I am going to stick my neck out now and predict they will not finish 1st or 2nd.

Because we've been head and shoulders above the other teams in the league so far, maybe? 

We're obviously doing something right if all the other clubs are banking on us 'tiring' in August ?

You also talk as if fatigue won't play a part with every team in the league? If you actually watched us it's not just running round like headless chickens for 90 minutes.

Anyway, good luck for the season with Fat Frank finding his feet with an average, bloated squad.

39 minutes ago, vidukasbox said:

Because we've been head and shoulders above the other teams in the league so far, maybe? 

We're obviously doing something right if all the other clubs are banking on us 'tiring' in August ?

You also talk as if fatigue won't play a part with every team in the league? If you actually watched us it's not just running round like headless chickens for 90 minutes.

Anyway, good luck for the season with Fat Frank finding his feet with an average, bloated squad.

91D8A2F0-B31E-4F5A-A506-739F099B2DEE.jpeg

23 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

you mean millwall right? we are 6th at the minute regardless of the poor performances in the first 3 games , if we beat hull we will then be in a very good position and with davies to come back in and improve the team things will be looking good.

Yes, I did mean Millwall. Thanks. 

2 points off 2nd if we win tomorrow , that would be brilliant going into the international break with Davies to come back into the team in the next few weeks.  After watching Boro vs Leeds and Boro's lack of quality going forward  if for once we can be consistent throughout a season and not go on bad runs where our season collapses there is no reason why we can't challenge for the title.

• 5 weeks later...
On 26 August 2018 at 18:43, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Our Next 8 games are:

28th August Hull Away cup 

1st September Hull Away 

Saturday 15th Rotherham Away

Tuesday  18th September Blackburn Home

Saturday 22nd September Brentford home

Saturday 29th September Bolton Away

Wednesday 3rd October Norwich Home

QPR away Saturday 6th October 

Apart from maybe Brentford we should be able to win every single game, I know the championship is unpredictable but I can see us getting 21 points from the next 7 league matches to send us into 1st or 2nd place, sounds crazy I know! With some hard games in October, with Sheffield United ,Boro and West Brom back to back it's important that we gain some momentum by beating teams that apart from Brentford won't be challenging for promotion. The cup game on Tuesday will be important for trying out players like Jozefoon and Marriot and Waghorn to help them get their confidence going, and beating them on Tuesday will give us confidence for Saturday. With Davies, Wilson and Hudlestone to come back after the international break and players like Jozefoon , Waghorn ,Marriot yet to make and impact and will soon be given an opportunity I can see us looking a real force by the time we play  Brentford . I can see us looking a much better team once we find a settled a 11 and our new signings start to get more game time and start making more of an impact on the team. 

We always seem to be a confidence team, and as long as we can beat Hull in our next 2 games to keep the winning run going I can see a confident team with Davies ,and Huddlestone in being much more solid defensively than what we saw in the first 3 matches.  Maybe I'm over estimating the team  but I think once the likes of Jozefoon , marriot and Waghorn start to make an impact we will be a real force, midfield has been a weakness so far but with Huddlestone playing I expect an improvement in our ability to keep the ball. We should be aiming for atleast  15 points from the next 21 if we are going to be challenging at the top.  How many points do people predict we will get from our next 7 league games?

How silly does this prediction look now? People need to learn that A) We're not as good as we think, B) We can't just turn up to games and expect to win and C) Not to make silly statements like this.

Even more ironic the one game you thought we would struggle with was our best so far.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

How silly does this prediction look now?

Not very. We'd won 4 and drawn 1 of the first 5 so if it wasn't for the Bolton loss it looked pretty spot on.

Anyway I doubt if the OP lost any money on it having said himself it sounds crazy and overestimating the team.

Need a win at Norwich to get back on track and stop the "We're not as good as we think we are" crap.

COYR

On 30/08/2018 at 11:54, vidukasbox said:

Ah, welcome back vidukaspox - head and shoulders above all other championship teams huh, yet you've only one win in your last 5 games. Go figure!

Let's put this all in the context that the form of the team that beat Derby 4-1 (Leeds United) has in the last two matches has been L1 D1. I'm going to resist statements such as "This is the championship" and "Every team can beat every other team". 

Putting up a good show against Norwich is required to calm nerves...but more importantly if we play nice football AND win it will get the bandwagon rolling again.....

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

Ah, welcome back vidukaspox - head and shoulders above all other championship teams huh, yet you've only one win in your last 5 games. Go figure!

Injuries have seen to it we've drawn a few more than we'd have hoped recently, but yes, we are still playing the best football in the league. Second to WBA who have had a few forgiving fixtures. We'll kick on soon and the wins will pick up again, especially when we get Pablo and Roofe back.

Assuming one beats Norwich the upcoming games vs QPR (W), Sheffield United  (local derby), WBA, and Middlesbrough will highlight the progress this team is making under Frank and Jody.

3 wins a draw and a loss puts the Rams on 26 points. 

The whole point of this thread I guess is that looking forward to predict upcoming results works....when the team is playing consistentlywell. 

Two wins 2 draws puts the rams on 24 points. That's less than one win from 26 points. 

Margins do seem tight this year ? Wining at West Brom and/or Middlesbrough does start to look like true 6 pointers??

It's tight so lets enjoy the ride ! 

Archived