Playing style

FindernRam

Playing Style  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Possession football but at a faster tempo and 30 yards further up the pitch. Don't like the pointless tappy tappy stuff outside our own area......

How do you do it higher up though? 

Do you do a long ball and then try to play from there? 

The tippy tappy stuff is supposed to draw teams out to close down the ball. Every time one player presses then he's left the defensive shape. He's left space. Lampard wants the team to learn how to expose these gaps. 

If we go more direct and more quickly then teams won't continue to press us heavily and will wait to defend the longer passes and then start their pressing from there. Things get even quicker and tighter then. That's even harder when we have hoggers like Lawrence

I do think everyone knows we need to move the ball quicker at the back. Use the full width and expose any pressing as soon as possible rather than shy away from it. But having the confidence and composure to deal with it hasn't been there since the competitive games started. Neither have we used the gaps created. 

Agreed, passing at the back should bring the other team out to press, one thing noticeable on Tuesday was that when we did pass it round the defence the midfield were too far forward as both Bryson and Mount generally want to run away in behind so the space made in the midfield isn’t utilised.

Everything needs to be done quicker generally though, hopefully that will come with time?!

i approve of fullbacks receiving the ball from goalie, but a strict ball to feet philosophy in this division is unwise IMO.  It's fine and to be expected in our own half but going forward, wingers and forwards should run onto the ball.  Mixed passing at high tempo, using offside trap and fast counter is what i like.

I think the poll options are loaded.

Clearly by somebody who was bored at the Ipswich game. 

I think you'll find that FL and most fans probably want a combination of 1 and 2. We want to set the wingers and attackers free but to create the space to move through the lines we do have to keep possession and wait for the right opportunity to move through the lines, especially against a team like Ipswich who will stand 11 men between you and the goal at all times. 

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

How do you do it higher up though? 

Do you do a long ball and then try to play from there? 

The tippy tappy stuff is supposed to draw teams out to close down the ball. Every time one player presses then he's left the defensive shape. He's left space. Lampard wants the team to learn how to expose these gaps. 

If we go more direct and more quickly then teams won't continue to press us heavily and will wait to defend the longer passes and then start their pressing from there. Things get even quicker and tighter then. That's even harder when we have hoggers like Lawrence

I do think everyone knows we need to move the ball quicker at the back. Use the full width and expose any pressing as soon as possible rather than shy away from it. But having the confidence and composure to deal with it hasn't been there since the competitive games started. Neither have we used the gaps created. 

This will work a lot better on teams that attempt to win a game/control a game than against Ipswich who would have snapped your hand off for 0-0 if offered it at 7:30pm. 

Sure I have 

13 hours ago, reveldevil said:

The OP obviously has his own opinion on how we should play, and the poll reflects that

Sure I have my opinion. Not much point being here if I didn't. The poll was to stimulate a discussion with other views. Anyway none of the choices I offered is my absolute view quite deliberately. @Ambitious is closest to my view :playing sensibly from the back and draw the opposition out. Then move rapidly forward. Trouble is many sides aren't drawn out they sit and let you play tippy tappy in your own half.

If our midfield was more mobile and found/made space this would help.

On the other hand against Ipswich Lawrence several times was in a good wide, forward position when Carson had the ball. He would start to run behind the defence into space, only for Carson to bowl it out to Keogh and tippy tappy again. Regulars know I'm not Lawrence's biggest fan, but I felt really sorry for the lad on Tuesday. The result was he had to come deeper and deeper. Our win was fortunate rather than the result of good tactics.

By mix it up I mean not only have a plan A: Play out from back, but a plan B: Push forward even with some risk. Plan ? occasional long ball to encourage the opposition to stay deep in their half.

Alternating those plans to keep opposition guessing. That is "Mixing it up"

I'd like us to play out from the back keeping possession if possible; gradually pushing forward to allow wingers to make runs behind the defence, but mixing it up occasionally by playing accurate long balls if a man is forward in space.

Which box do I tick?

Teams are set up to stop Keogh playing which in turn has resulted in him a fair few times squaring it to Davies/Tomori who are free and have space and time. 

It’s temporarily creating either 4 v 4s or even an overload that we aren’t exploiting. One occasion Tuesday Tomori found himself in this situation and gave it to Ledley who was two yards away and facing his own goal. This is what we need to be working on in training, what to do here. If it were Mac 1 then Bucko would have sprayed a pass, Tomori looks like he has a bit of a ping on him.

Once teams realise the other centre-half can handle the ball then Keogh will naturally get more time on it. Then they’ll either try and press both or they’ll sit back.

7 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Bryson was a lot better when playing in front of Evans, As soon as Ledley comes on he starts to come deeper and deeper.

I’m convinced Ledley doesn’t know how to play in a three. Not long after Ledley came on we switched to a 4-4-1-1

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Sure I have 

Sure I have my opinion. Not much point being here if I didn't. The poll was to stimulate a discussion with other views. Anyway none of the choices I offered is my absolute view quite deliberately. @Ambitious is closest to my view :playing sensibly from the back and draw the opposition out. Then move rapidly forward. Trouble is many sides aren't drawn out they sit and let you play tippy tappy in your own half.

If our midfield was more mobile and found/made space this would help.

On the other hand against Ipswich Lawrence several times was in a good wide, forward position when Carson had the ball. He would start to run behind the defence into space, only for Carson to bowl it out to Keogh and tippy tappy again. Regulars know I'm not Lawrence's biggest fan, but I felt really sorry for the lad on Tuesday. The result was he had to come deeper and deeper. Our win was fortunate rather than the result of good tactics.

By mix it up I mean not only have a plan A: Play out from back, but a plan B: Push forward even with some risk. Plan ? occasional long ball to encourage the opposition to stay deep in their half.

Alternating those plans to keep opposition guessing. That is "Mixing it up"

Fair enough, but not many are going to vote lump it forward whenever possible.

Go longer and try to win the second ball higher up the pitch would be a fairer option, imo.

I do get bored by the argument that there's only one way to play during a match. There's no such thing as a long-ball or short-ball game. Players should play with intelligence and make the right choices dependent on the game at that time. Obviously giving the ball away needlessly is counterproductive, but there's always room for a Huuddlestoneesue long pass to the feet of an attacking player.

As a fan I get annoyed at aimless, hopeful punts forward, but I get equally annoyed with slow possession based football which achieves nothing but boredom. As one of our managers said, possession for possession’s sake is pointless.

We need to play a high intensity pressing game and effectively use the ball when we have it. The press should not be too high otherwise you get a situation like in the Man City v Huddersfield game, where the goalkeeper booted long to Aguero for him to score.

As someone famous once said "football is a simple game, made complicated by fools".

Hope the players read this thread ASAP. It’s clear that so far this season they’ve been passing the ball to each other slowly on purpose, and have forgotten how important it is to score. One read of this thread should have the team pressing altgother, showing for the ball and scoring goals for fun. Or mixing it up. Whatever that means.

Really frustrates me when the players try not to score.

15 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Hope the players read this thread ASAP. It’s clear that so far this season they’ve been passing the ball to each other slowly on purpose, and have forgotten how important it is to score. One read of this thread should have the team pressing altgother, showing for the ball and scoring goals for fun. Or mixing it up. Whatever that means.

Really frustrates me when the players try not to score.

If only they realised it wasn't rocket science, things would improve instantly !   It's that simple, apparently.  

Develop a rapport, Know where your team mate is and when they need your support. Pass it not where they are now but where they plan to be next. Pass it quickly and accurately.

Come on boys, you've had 4 games now ffs (albeit with 23 different  players).

What's the matter with you?

Archived