Chris Martin - Player Discussion Thread.

'Rambe33

7 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I'm not sure you appreciate what a strong hold-up striker gives you defensively - He's a number 9 - Do you expect him to track back?

We saw in the first McClaren era what Martin adds defensively - An extra couple of seconds of hold up play - If all you have chance to do is clear the ball a hold-up player winning a header or holding the ball even for 4-5 seconds gives a little extra time for the defence to re-organise themselves - We saw when Martin was injured and we had Bent the problems it created - Bent carried on banging in goals (ie, our attack wasn't compromised) but suddenly without Martin's hold-up play as an outlet we started shipping goals left right and centre - Because our defence wasn't getting a break to re-organise

I've expressed my views on this in other threads - I think it might be time for them to move on for the sake of their own careers - Sometimes you need a fresh start - Even though I am a GT and CM fanboy - On form they are two of the very best players we have in the squad - On form Thorne is possibly one of the best CM in the league

However - I've also stated that the upheaval from injuries and loans and managerial changes etc etc has affected almost every player - But these two more than others - All players should be given a clean slate in a new regime - You complain about the fanboys harking back to previous years - Yet you main argument is based on... Previous years...

But more recent

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

You don't need to know anything about football, as long as you have semi famous friends who do.

Obviously don't name them though, just state the level they've played at so people don't think you're full of bullpoop on a football forum.

I no Ron Webster does that count

FFS,

This all this Martin ...… Can do this, Martin cannot do that...….

He was once a good goal scorer for us but can remember was that what 3 or 4  seasons ago?

He has played under a few managers since and it has not worked out for him in any of the scenarios, even at Fulham where he scored a few goals, he was a bit player who could hold down a starting position.

All that matters now is not what he has done in the past its what he can do now.

FL will have seen what Martin can and cannot do, does he fit into FL's system and style of play? That is up to FL.

I would back FL over any forum member on who knows what is better for DCFC, he certainly has so much more experience on football than the forum members on here.

COYR

1 hour ago, toddy said:

FFS,

This all this Martin ...… Can do this, Martin cannot do that...….

He was once a good goal scorer for us but can remember was that what 3 or 4  seasons ago?

He has played under a few managers since and it has not worked out for him in any of the scenarios, even at Fulham where he scored a few goals, he was a bit player who could hold down a starting position.

All that matters now is not what he has done in the past its what he can do now.

FL will have seen what Martin can and cannot do, does he fit into FL's system and style of play? That is up to FL.

I would back FL over any forum member on who knows what is better for DCFC, he certainly has so much more experience on football than the forum members on here.

COYR

So when he's fit and FL picks him and plays him,we will hear nothing negative from you toddy...

Excellent

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So when he's fit and FL picks him and plays him,we will hear nothing negative from you toddy...

Excellent

Now you are assumming a few things here.

1. If he can regain fitness

2. If FL thinks Martin can fit into his system

3. If Martin plays and plays well

lots of ifs in the above.?

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Now you are assumming a few things here.

1. If he can regain fitness

2. If FL thinks Martin can fit into his system

3. If Martin plays and plays well

lots of ifs in the above.?

You are assuming that FL has already decided on a negative decision to all of the above(as usual)

Lets let Frank decide shall we

And as I've already said...you will presumably be going along with him if lampard decides otherwise..

And if this system doesn't click into place soon (and Martin's not loaned out) it is likely to happen.

If he is still here next Saturday then FL should be considering using him if he is fit and if he isn’t here and he is elsewhere and scoring goals and the team he is playing for are winning then we can sit back and say ‘I told you so’ but let’s just wait and see.

On 23/08/2018 at 21:09, RoyMac5 said:

Fulham doesn't count then, then played in limited minutes, then injured? The haterz just go Ariston don't they.

He did score a few goals at Fulham, but he couldnt hold down a starting 11 position. And they even gave their midfielders a start over him in the CF position. He had struggled to hit the heights of 13/14 and 15/16 season.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You are assuming that FL has already decided on a negative decision to all of the above(as usual)

Lets let Frank decide shall we

And as I've already said...you will presumably be going along with him if lampard decides otherwise..

And if this system doesn't click into place soon (and Martin's not loaned out) it is likely to happen.

I presume then if Waghorn/Marriott/Nugent/Jeromestart banging goals for fun you’ll go along with it too..... 

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why not? Wouldn't say any less about Martin though would it.

Not saying that, there’s a lot of presumptions made from all sides of the debate. That’s why I’ve replied the way I have..... will be happy as a pig in poo if Martin bagged 20 again here.... 

36 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I presume then if Waghorn/Marriott/Nugent/Jeromestart banging goals for fun you’ll go along with it too..... 

When I have I ever been against any striker or indeed player scoring for us???

Nugent is one of my favourite players and waghorn will no doubt develop into a player I very much like...the same goes for Marriott.

On 24/08/2018 at 13:37, Aries Sun said:

Attackers yes - Strikers no. Lukaku doesn't track back.

As for Romelu Lukaku, I really can't remember seeing him doing a lot of tracking or tackling, as I should first check his performance data or watch some of his games, although he's isn't the same type of center forward as Chris Martin.

He's pacey and strong forward. Sort of younger version of Darren Bent to me..

Mario Mandzukic for example is tracking back his opponents, doing tackling and his hold up play is excellent and he's not the fastest but also not the slowest center forward in the terms of pace.

We have loads of pacey players - We've been struggling to link them all together so far this season - Something which Martin was an expert on previously and so far Waghorn and Nugent haven't been very effective at

So do you - People say he's past it and won't fit in this system but what do you base that on? We haven't seen him in this system or with a lot of these players - So how do you know?

FL wouldn't invest heavily in his new forwards (Waghorn and Marriott), if he didn't think it wasn't necessary.

I am watching and following international football for the last 40 years, since the World Cup 1978 in Argentina, therefore I am kind of experienced enough to tell you which player doesn't fit and who's not ging to make it.

Further, you think you know something about football, while I accidentally personally know some ex- internationals, which played at the World Cup, the European Championships, which played UEFA Champions League, which played for Real Madrid and Barcelona etc.

My knowledge of the football world is far above the Sunday league, amateurish college football leagues or playing the FIFA 2018 and the Football Manager games at your home behind the PC screen.

So, who do you know and how do you know them?

Archived