Chris Martin - Player Discussion Thread.

'Rambe33

6 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

Yeah, of course I am expecting him to do some tracking back as the most modern attackers are doing it nowadays.

Attackers yes - Strikers no

Lukaku doesn't track back

7 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

His hold up play is a bit of over-exaggerated part of his game.

Give me proof or I'll just assume you're wildly speculating - It's very easy to say something but opinion is easily coloured and I suspect you just remember what you want to support an already formed opinion - As most people do

8 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

A modern forward needs to have a different set of footballing skills but most of all, every football team in the world loves to have pacey players in their squad.

We have loads of pacey players - We've been struggling to link them all together so far this season - Something which Martin was an expert on previously and so far Waghorn and Nugent haven't been very effective at

9 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

The football is evolving and moving forward and the people still living in the past (seasons 2013-14, 2014-15 so called Chris Martin's glory days), well, they still live in the past.

So do you - People say he's past it and won't fit in this system but what do you base that on? We haven't seen him in this system or with a lot of these players - So how do you know?

10 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

Let them be.

I've stated that I think it might be best for both of them to move on - I think it would be a detriment to our side and our squad to do so - But might be better/easier for them

I just strongly object to people saying "you live in the past" and then quoting the last 3 years as why we shouldn't use CM and GT - That is the past too - Judge players on the present - In the present you haven't seen either of them feature and therefore have no basis to form an opinion on their current ability

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Moving this in here to get away from the cluster of the transfer rumours page...but one thing I think it interesting is that Martin has played two lots of 90 minutes now. Can understand giving players 60-70 minutes for scouts etc but why full games unless you have plans for him? Could be barking up the wrong tree but just thought it was interesting. 

Well,it's either that or he's advertising his return to fitness for potential clubs after a loan striker..

Hopefully the first one....as roy states,the new boys aren't pulling up trees yet.

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Moving this in here to get away from the cluster of the transfer rumours page...but one thing I think it interesting is that Martin has played two lots of 90 minutes now. Can understand giving players 60-70 minutes for scouts etc but why full games unless you have plans for him? Could be barking up the wrong tree but just thought it was interesting. 

Maybe they want to see if he still knows where the goal nets are? Is it 3 or 4 goals he has scored since the beginning of 2017?

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Attackers yes - Strikers no

Lukaku doesn't track back

Give me proof or I'll just assume you're wildly speculating - It's very easy to say something but opinion is easily coloured and I suspect you just remember what you want to support an already formed opinion - As most people do

We have loads of pacey players - We've been struggling to link them all together so far this season - Something which Martin was an expert on previously and so far Waghorn and Nugent haven't been very effective at

So do you - People say he's past it and won't fit in this system but what do you base that on? We haven't seen him in this system or with a lot of these players - So how do you know?

I've stated that I think it might be best for both of them to move on - I think it would be a detriment to our side and our squad to do so - But might be better/easier for them

I just strongly object to people saying "you live in the past" and then quoting the last 3 years as why we shouldn't use CM and GT - That is the past too - Judge players on the present - In the present you haven't seen either of them feature and therefore have no basis to form an opinion on their current ability

Attackers yes - Strikers no. Lukaku doesn't track back.

As for Romelu Lukaku, I really can't remember seeing him doing a lot of tracking or tackling, as I should first check his performance data or watch some of his games, although he's isn't the same type of center forward as Chris Martin.

He's pacey and strong forward. Sort of younger version of Darren Bent to me..

Mario Mandzukic for example is tracking back his opponents, doing tackling and his hold up play is excellent and he's not the fastest but also not the slowest center forward in the terms of pace.

FL wouldn't invest heavily in his new forwards (Waghorn and Marriott), if he didn't think it wasn't necessary.

I am watching and following international football for the last 40 years, since the World Cup 1978 in Argentina, therefore I am kind of experienced enough to tell you which player doesn't fit and who's not ging to make it.

Further, you think you know something about football, while I accidentally personally know some ex- internationals, which played at the World Cup, the European Championships, which played UEFA Champions League, which played for Real Madrid and Barcelona etc.

My knowledge of the football world is far above the Sunday league, amateurish college football leagues or playing the FIFA 2018 and the Football Manager games at your home behind the PC screen.

37 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thought you didn’t give a toss?

I give a toss that we have strikers who score goals and we win. A very big toss in that regards. As to which of our many strikers scores them l have no interest.  Now swim along, my net wasn’t set for you ?

34 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

As for Romelu Lukaku, I really can't remember seeing him doing a lot of tracking or tackling, as I should first check his performance data or watch some of his games, although he's isn't the same type of center forward as Chris Martin.

Mario Mandzukic for example is tracking back his opponents, doing tackling and his hold up play is excellent and he's not the fastest but also not the slowest center forward in the terms of pace.

FL wouldn't invest heavily in his new forwards (Waghorn and Marriott), if he didn't think it wasn't necessary.

I am watching and following international football for the last 40 years, since the World Cup 1978 in Argentina, therefore I am kind of experienced enough to tell you which player doesn't fit and who's not ging to make it.

Further, you think you know something about football, while I accidentally personally know some ex- internationals, which played at the World Cup, the European Championships, which played UEFA Champions League, which played for Real Madrid and Barcelona etc.

My knowledge of the football world is far above the Sunday league, amateurish college football leagues or playing the FIFA 2018 and the Football Manager games at your home behind the PC screen.

Football is a game based on opinion, which is what makes it so great. Otherwise the best managers would want to play in exactly the same way. There is no winning formula.

Knowing the odd footballer adds literally nothing to your knowledge of the game...

30 minutes ago, Aries Sun said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stright from the Pearson “I’m a hyper intelligent football man who knows more than you” armoury 

No, Martin can’t press, but Cheron’s argument is quite clearly that we’d gain something else in return. Systems can be tweaked

If the wingers don’t start showing for the ball more and holding it, as they were in pre-season, then we may well have to forgo some energy up top and get Martin in, is a feasible scenario somewhere down the line

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I give a toss that we have strikers who score goals and we win. A very big toss in that regards. As to which of our many strikers scores them l have no interest.  Now swim along, my net wasn’t set for you ?

In fairness this is a pretty poorly laid net. I’m not even a fish, I’m a person hiding behind a duck mascot on an Internet forum!

26 minutes ago, cannable said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stright from the Pearson “I’m a hyper intelligent football man who knows more than you” armoury 

No, Martin can’t press, but Cheron’s argument is quite clearly that we’d gain something else in return. Systems can be tweaked

If the wingers don’t start showing for the ball more and holding it, as they were in pre-season, then we may well have to forgo some energy up top and get Martin in, is a feasible scenario somewhere down the line

"Stright from the Pearson “I’m a hyper intelligent football man who knows more than you” armoury"

Nigel Pearson certainly knows more about the football than you (and me).

You probably know everything about the fishing, fishing nets, fishing boats etc.

The football is really not your thing, leave it to the experts.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

I think we are reaching the uncharted territory where many people want a player to leave just so they can make tiresome debates and circular arguments about him redundant.

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Knowing the odd footballer adds literally nothing to your knowledge of the game...

Knowing the odd ex-international footballer adds the experience of knowing him in the first place.

In the second place, it opens the network of his football world, his ex-colleagues, his ex-managers, his clubs etc.

It's quite handy, when you are need of a spare ticket for a match or some fans memorabilia (signed t-shirt) etc.

Archived