Our support....

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Tin hat time, I know, but I stayed till the end to applaud the Leeds team, because buried deep under the disgusting appearance of their dirty, cheating tactics they are a really good side. Its been that way since the days of Don Revie (pardon the language). All right, their tactics frightened Lawrence of of the game, but when you are capable of playing the opposition off the park, why is there a need to kick lumps out of them and cheat at every opportunity?

Confused  ... you say Leeds were dirty and cheating and question why that was necessary as they are a good team and then stayed to applaud them ..?  WTF.

They are good  and we knew that from watching their first match but why applaud players who   drop to the ground without any contact from a Derby player , drop to the ground when unhurt after a fair challenge, dispute every decision, kick or throw the ball away so often when a free kick is given against them , verbally harangue and surround the referee in groups in an intimidating way. All of this is organised and a deliberate tactic. I hated Revie's Leeds and could end up hating this Leeds team for similar reasons.

Our support is awesome and has been for fifty years, through thick and thin good times and bad times the small town / city that we are proud to call Home has provided a sound backing for our team, is it a wall of sound ? Not really ! But it is made up of genuine football fans who have put up with a lot of dross over the years aswell as the cream of the cream.

in the past twenty years football has changed beyond all recognition, the game is fundamentally still the same but the running of a football club and the huge sums of money involved have changed it, it’s not the working mans game that it once was, that has changed the fan base, it is now made up in much more even ratios of men, women and children.

19,000 in a full house at the BBG towards the end of its life could still make twice the noise of 32,000 at Pride Park, the passion was different back then, it was more a felling of one big family crammed in, now it’s more of a large collective of strangers all with the same interest at heart but not the same end result.

the same but different !

when I was 16/24 it was all about meeting up on the pop side or C stand and singing and shouting my head off, now I sit in the West stand with my old man and my lad, no singing no swearing but still as enjoyable as when I was younger, no less passion but just different.

my feeling towards the players has changed significantly, I don’t view any of them as heroes or role models nowadays, does that come with age ? Probably but they certainly do not inspire me to stand on my seat in the West stand and belt out a few numbers ! It has happened, in the early days of Pride Park and in the play off games, particularly Southampton and Brighton spring to mind.

so the pressure falls on the South Stand to make the noise, once again a collective of strangers rather than a family, it is a forced support, almost out of guilt, it’s rarely spontaneous and as a result of what’s happening on the pitch.

do I fell like a poo supporter because I don’t sing ? No do I hell !

my support was handed down from my dad and previously his dad, I passed that on to my son, that makes me a great supporter because I am ensuring that the next generation of Derby County fans are forming, will it be a collective or a family ? Who knows but if the good times come back then I think the family feel will and as a result so will the spontaneous passion !

we are all great supporters whether we are season ticket holders or listen in the radio, whether we can give up our Saturday to follow them over land and sea or because of family commitments we follow from Home.

one day we will have a team that is worthy of our support until then don’t let anybody tell you that our support is poo !

we are Derby super Derby !!

dont ever forget !

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

We are Derby super Derby......

but we don't seem to think it's important to get behind the team because they aren't the great players they once were. 

Good job the Leeds fans don't think like this. 

So what do you do at a match that is different to any other Derby County fan ?

Getting behind the team ? What’s that then ?

Chant a few mindless obscenities ? Sing about somebody with mental health issues breaking his leg ? Or perhaps make a half hearted gesture to bend your knees in a mock bouncing motion whilst chanting about being a red ? Or maybe the old classic dam busters ? Or Craig and his haggis ? Is that getting behind the team ?

or is it more about being there ?

if all the people who didn’t sing moronic ditty’s as per above didn’t bother turning up and just the hardcore singers did would that make any difference ?

so perhaps it is about at least turning up in our thousands to support our team.

we haven’t come up with a decent song since the 79s apart from since I was young and we pinched that !

i always join in with the perennial classic derby, derby, derby, derby, derby, derby.

or we are derby super derby but some of the other stuff is just mindless ramblings.

im sure singing about collymores broken leg isn’t going to help  Keough engage his brain !

Come on you Rams !! ?

16 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

It is when the team are struggling that the supporters can make the biggest difference. I have seen us turn round three goal deficits before and whilst I accept that it wasn't going to happen against Leeds on Saturday, getting behind the team DOES make a difference.

The three goal turn around was down to a rollocking [removed] from the ex England manager at half time telling them to have some respect for the fans who had paid good money to support them.

what followed incited excitement and spontaneous support !

yes it was excellent !

I left in the 85th minute - while i was walking there was no one ahead of me really but loads behind me - Dont think loads left with 25 mins left to play i think most left in 85th-90th. Hard thing to watch was that when the team is 1-3 down at home and there's 30 mins to play you're thinking all it takes is one goal and the balance of control could change, But the players looked uninterested and efforts to change the score were lackluster at best. It is also annoying when certain players in the defence are not improving and making the same mistakes (Keogh/Lowe/Wisdom) and it leads to goals. The fans weren't overly vocal towards the players and didn't boo they just left with 5 mins to go? whats the problem? they payed there money?

56 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

So what do you do at a match that is different to any other Derby County fan ?

Getting behind the team ? What’s that then ?

Chant a few mindless obscenities ? Sing about somebody with mental health issues breaking his leg ? Or perhaps make a half hearted gesture to bend your knees in a mock bouncing motion whilst chanting about being a red ? Or maybe the old classic dam busters ? Or Craig and his haggis ? Is that getting behind the team ?

or is it more about being there ?

if all the people who didn’t sing moronic ditty’s as per above didn’t bother turning up and just the hardcore singers did would that make any difference ?

so perhaps it is about at least turning up in our thousands to support our team.

we haven’t come up with a decent song since the 79s apart from since I was young and we pinched that !

i always join in with the perennial classic derby, derby, derby, derby, derby, derby.

or we are derby super derby but some of the other stuff is just mindless ramblings.

im sure singing about collymores broken leg isn’t going to help  Keough engage his brain !

Come on you Rams !! ?

Well, I always try to make a lot of noise - vocal encouragement, clapping and COYR as well as joining in the songs when I can hear them!

Like you, I hate some of the songs but I always clap along to add to the noise - I come home from away matches with my arms aching as well as a sore throat. It's harder at home as not many bother around me in the North Stand but I still do it. (I bet folks think I'm a right div!)

I think it is something we will never agree on, the singers versus the well I'm here and that's enough.

Not saying you're one of them but around me people didn't even bother clapping the team onto the pitch on Saturday - first home match of the season and they can't be bothered. What's that all about?

I think there is an air of silent expectation around Pride Park - entertain me or else! It's been there for three or four years and it hasn't gone away. The atmosphere is not good and I can feel it as a fan. I'm sure the players can.

I go to a lot of grounds around the country, some half empty but the support is often great. Leeds' support is great even when we're beating them at their place. Reading (usually like a graveyard) was very good for them first match this year. Swindon away, which I did several times last year, are a vocal force.

All I have to go on is that players and managers alike comment that it helps when the crowd gets behind them. Maybe they are lying and it doesn't make them try harder but I see home advantage at athletics coming into play all the time when I am there. 

Everyone can clap at a game like the Brighton play off semi-final, it was glorious, easy to be a fan then. But I believe they need our support to help get those occasions back. 

Like a few others I drive to the ground and park in the car park behind the South Stand. I normally stay to the end because you never know what will happen in football, but the problem with that is that you're held in the car park and can't leave for ages while the other supporters dissipate.

I left early on Saturday on about 80 mins, mainly so I could get out the car park and get home; at 4-1 down and Leeds on top it was obvious we weren't going to score again.

Going to every home game is a big time commitment - if my team's losing at home I don't then want to spend half an hour sat in the car feeling miserable which is my reason for going early.

However I don't see the problem in people leaving early if they want to - everyone has their reasons and we all have commitments outside of supporting Derby - they've paid their money so why should they stick around if they can't/don't want to.

Live and let live,

Home support is terrible IMO.

starts off great but then dies within 5 minutes until we score. Leeds game was first home match I’ve missed since 03, even then that’s purely down to health issues - watched on TV and all I could here is marching on together and the We’ve got Saiz chant.

Back in the early PP days it was rocking, bald eagles barmy army would echo throughout the stadium, B-a B-a Baiano ETC. I get it’s declined  due of the lack of success and what not; but it’s a new season with fresh optimism, new manager, new signings, LEEDS ffs. Was pretty poor as usual on Saturday.

Still think north stand is the section which needs addressing, not much excitement for the kids in there. Laugh all you want, but clappers wouldn’t be the worst thing to throw to a dozen kids to use to make a bit of noise. Balloons etc, hardly going to break the budget giving out a few balloons each game - little things that that help 

Seems to be two strands to this debate; people who leave early and the lack of atmosphere.

On the first issue, people have been leaving early for as king as I’ve been going (over 25 years).  It isn’t just here, it happens everywhere and is mostly traffic related (and the avoidance of).  Clearly those who don’t want to sit in a queue for an hour after  match are more likely to leave a bit earlier and are going to potentially leave that bit earlier than normal if we are 4-1 down with 10 mind to go!  I do have sympathy with these folks and don’t blame them at all.  Time is precious and many people have good reasons for wanting to get home in good time.  

I’m less sympathetic with those who got up and left when the fourth goal went in a huff, but again not that unusual or indicative of poor support.

I've written to the club on numerous occasions about traffic management and why it is that our fans are inconvenienced instead of away fans, but they always go unanswered or the reply is something along the lines of not wanting to have away fans loitering potentially causing trouble.  However, closing the south car park for so long after a match must be part of the reason many want to make a quick escape.  Seems daft to me (the policy, not wanting to leave).  If gettin  out of the car parks and PP was a doddle more people night stay until the end?? Dunno.

In terms of noise, it is hard to compare us to Leeds as they’ve always been a noisy bunch of [expletives deleted] but again it isn’t a new complaint that the ground is pretty quiet.  I’m sure there are people in the south stand who try their hardest to get a sustained level of singing going but it often seems pretty dead.  I personally hate ‘since I was young’ and some of the other stuff.  I’d like to hear 90 mins of ‘we are Derby, super Derby’ but I’m old fashioned and boring.

I have no answers other than I think we shouldn’t worry too much or try to force it.  Nothing against those who try to sort these things out.  Much kudos and appreciation to those who give their time and effort, but maybe just letting things evolve naturally would be the best thing? 

On 11/08/2018 at 19:31, Ghost of Clough said:

Can be summed up in one word - EMBARRASSING. 

Ground was empty 10mims before time. 

The rams always showed effort... the fans were pathetic. 

On 11/08/2018 at 23:44, MrsRam said:

Not bothered about any other club. Our “fans” left. Left the match that they had paid to watch   And support. 

Some very tall horses that people are riding on in this thread. 

‘Oooh I’ll settle for watching dogmess I’m a proper fan’ - grow up.

Multitude of reasons people leave early for and if one of those is that we’re being embarrassed by a big rival then whatever. You pay your money. They pay their money. You’re not a bigger fan for staying until the end, you just set your bar much lower.

The majority of us were there for the Jewell season, the John Gregory season, the Phil Brown season... we’ve seen worse than this granted but that doesn’t mean we have to watch a non competition just dribble to a close.  

The crowd were silent from the third goal onwards, it’s not like the people who left, left behind a crowd that was right behind the players. 

9 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Like many, you overstate the potential contribution of the fans to the result of the game. We were comprehensively outplayed all around the pitch and the outcome was clear before the hour.

When we are involved in a competitive game the fans can make a difference, not when it is so one-sided.

Like many of our players, fans knew the game was up and choosing to leave early was inevitable.

I'm not suggesting for a second that a noisy set of fans can bridge a substantial gap in quality. But the negativity/lack of noise I describe isn't just in evidence when we get beaten that easily. My point doesn't just apply to Saturday - I've seen it many times. 

Still on the subject of support but taking a slightly different angle. Having read several threads I'm surprised by the describing of players as rubbish. No no no. If they are rubbish how come they a playing in the championship? A poor performance today - yes, a bad run- yes, playing out of position- yes. Rubbish very emotive and not supportive at all.

Archived