The Worst Job you’ve ever had.

Coneheadjohn

When I left school , literally the 1 at week a friend of mine said "you want to earn £200 cash in hand a week " I was 16 of course I did ! 

He worked at a meat factory , I had to mix baths full of chicken tikka then press pack into packs of 3. Then when that was done I had to take all the meat ridden rubbish out and literally kick the rats out of the way ! 

It's safe to say I only lasted the week .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

When I left school , literally the 1 at week a friend of mine said "you want to earn £200 cash in hand a week " I was 16 of course I did ! 

He worked at a meat factory , I had to mix baths full of chicken tikka then press pack into packs of 3. Then when that was done I had to take all the meat ridden rubbish out and literally kick the rats out of the way ! 

It's safe to say I only lasted the week .

£200 though ?

Worst part-time job was working as an agency worker in “hospitality.” Turned up for my first shift at the arena, no idea what I’d be doing. Nobody talked to me, I had to work the til with no training. My “partner” just stood around and did nothing. Same for the managers. Lasted a couple of hours and walked out. The joys of a student lifestyle!

Full time job it has to be working at Pattonair in Derby. I’ve never seen so many people break down in tears because they were under so much stress. I moved there thinking an office job for a company dealing with RR would be a solid move for me. Some good folks there, I can’t criticise the majority of the staff. The problem was the company growing too quickly for its own good and people couldn’t cope. They needed double the staff. It was making me miserable and I thought sod it, why should I have take this? 

I consider myself fortunate to be working at Rolls Royce nowadays. The difference in work culture and atmosphere is unbelievable. There’s a reason why people don’t leave RR let’s put it that way.

The job was at a big aluminium smelter.  Five of us were to climb up to the large wooden platform some 20 meters above the furnaces and sweep and shovel 40 tons of powdered aluminium oxide into containers to be hoisted down.  We were equipped with thermal suits, thick gloves, ear muffs and considerably less than airtight breathing masks.  It was 40c on average up there, half dark and full of poisonous gases. 

After we finished the shoveling job we tore the platform up from under us the whole length of the plant, or 900 meters.  10 hours a day, 6 days a week.  We lost on average two men every week on this 8 week stretch.  One left us crying like a baby.  i was intent on finishing this monstrous undertaking but needed to see a doctor as the skin on my face, arms and legs had turned bright pink.  The doctor said it was severe aluminium oxide poisoning and he forbade me to come any closer than 5km from an aluminium smelter again in my lifetime.  Was sweating grey stuff for weeks after it.  On top of that, the employer never paid me all i was owed.

6 hours ago, ramit said:

The job was at a big aluminium smelter.  Five of us were to climb up to the large wooden platform some 20 meters above the furnaces and sweep and shovel 40 tons of powdered aluminium oxide into containers to be hoisted down.  We were equipped with thermal suits, thick gloves, ear muffs and considerably less than airtight breathing masks.  It was 40c on average up there, half dark and full of poisonous gases. 

After we finished the shoveling job we tore the platform up from under us the whole length of the plant, or 900 meters.  10 hours a day, 6 days a week.  We lost on average two men every week on this 8 week stretch.  One left us crying like a baby.  i was intent on finishing this monstrous undertaking but needed to see a doctor as the skin on my face, arms and legs had turned bright pink.  The doctor said it was severe aluminium oxide poisoning and he forbade me to come any closer than 5km from an aluminium smelter again in my lifetime.  Was sweating grey stuff for weeks after it.  On top of that, the employer never paid me all i was owed.

That harrowing tale kind of goes against the grain of what most of us here think that nordic social democracies are about in terms of good working conditions and concern for individuals welfare!

Glad you seemed to have recovered.

Hope that the fish gutting plant is treating you better??

Mine has to be as a moderator on a football forum. Incredibly long hours, pitiful rates of pay and some of the most difficult clients I’ve ever had to deal with.

On top of that, I’m pretty sure the boss keeps trying to make a move on me...

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Mine has to be as a moderator on a football forum. Incredibly long hours, pitiful rates of pay and some of the most difficult clients I’ve ever had to deal with.

On top of that, I’m pretty sure the boss keeps trying to make a move on me...

Looking beautiful as ever this morning Kernow ?

Sitting on a production line placing the same 5 components into circuit boards all day whilst listening to commercial radio and the utterly inane chatter of my colleagues. I had no idea that humans even still did this job. I thought stuff like that had all been automated back in the 60s. Luckily I got moved to maintaining the machines that placed 1000s of components per minute fairly quickly and that was at least moderately interesting.

I once applied for a job as a chicken catcher on was rejected because I "lacked experience"..... Exactly how does one gain experience as an amateur chicken chaser?

One of my mates got a job as a bouncer at a strip/lap dancing club. When I got made redundant from my office job he put a good word in for me and got me a job there.

I had to rub oil on the strippers and exotic dancers so their bodies shone under the lights.

Awful job. Walked out after 3 days. Two of them were Forest fans.

54 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That harrowing tale kind of goes against the grain of what most of us here think that nordic social democracies are about in terms of good working conditions and concern for individuals welfare!

Glad you seemed to have recovered.

Hope that the fish gutting plant is treating you better??

See, that's a common misunderstanding.  Good working conditions have always been frowned upon here.  Here you're not a man unless you have regularly risked life and limb for a measly hourly pay.  We make fun of Swedes and Norwegians for adopting strict safety regulations and actually having a life outside the workplace, we call them soft and spineless and claim that the blood doesn't run through their veins.  We be good slaves here.

BYW fish gutting is a luxury job.  It's how our kids learn to work.

38 minutes ago, Anon said:

Sitting on a production line placing the same 5 components into circuit boards all day whilst listening to commercial radio and the utterly inane chatter of my colleagues. I had no idea that humans even still did this job.

I had a trial at Pektron doing just that. Mind numbing work. Was delighted when they didn't offer me a job at the end.

Got the impression they brought in a bunch of people on trial to finish a big order with no intention of employing any of us.

Key Account Manager for a metals company in Chesterfield.

I had been working for the same company in Sheffield for 16 years and was desperate to leave - not least because my ex wife worked there but I'd also progressed as far as I could and was just stale. I took this job knowing it was a temporary stop gap while my friend of mine was setting up the business where I've worked for the last 4 years.

Anyway, I was lied to at the interview, which wasn't a great start. I quickly realised that the company was in trouble when there was a round of redundancies when I'd only been there a few weeks. A horrible high pressure sales environment made worse by a culture of zero support from colleagues & management. I'd go on holiday for 2 weeks and find out that in my absence, nobody had even contacted any of my accounts or responded to any of their enquiries or problems. I was then hammered for the number of complaints that came in from them.

The next time I had a few days off, one of my best accounts was moved to one of my colleagues (who was big mates with the boss) without my knowledge, just as they placed a big order. I expected it to be dog eat dog with our competitors but not with people in my own "team".

I went along with it all because I was biding my time and knew that any day, I'd get the call from my mate asking when I could start. Otherwise it would have been incredibly stressful.

Anyway, I was made redundant in the third round of job losses since I'd been there & a few days later got the call from my friend and the offer of the new career that I craved. I probably could have fought them for constructive dismissal or something but I was just relieved that the 9 months of hell were over.

Anyway, the boss was a complete **** who actively encouraged the hateful environment. I won't mention names but he was also a Championship football referee and his only redeeming feature was that he officiated in rather a famous 5-0 victory for us against some team or other from Nottingham.

I had a summer job labouring in the fettling shop at Parker Foundry on Mansfield Rd. It was dirty, dangerous and very noisy. I managed to get flashblinded and electrocuted by welding equipment in the short time I was there.

The people who worked there were very friendly, and they realized that their safety depended on looking out for each other.

There was one fella who had the job of welding castings with carbon electrodes. He stood in a sort of cage made from metallised fabric, the casting would be delivered by crane and the gate would be closed. Everything in there was covered in a thick layer of black soot, including the poor welder.

Perhaps sitting in an air-conditioned office isn't so bad after all.

34 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Key Account Manager for a metals company in Chesterfield.

I had been working for the same company in Sheffield for 16 years and was desperate to leave - not least because my ex wife worked there but I'd also progressed as far as I could and was just stale. I took this job knowing it was a temporary stop gap while my friend of mine was setting up the business where I've worked for the last 4 years.

Anyway, I was lied to at the interview, which wasn't a great start. I quickly realised that the company was in trouble when there was a round of redundancies when I'd only been there a few weeks. A horrible high pressure sales environment made worse by a culture of zero support from colleagues & management. I'd go on holiday for 2 weeks and find out that in my absence, nobody had even contacted any of my accounts or responded to any of their enquiries or problems. I was then hammered for the number of complaints that came in from them.

The next time I had a few days off, one of my best accounts was moved to one of my colleagues (who was big mates with the boss) without my knowledge, just as they placed a big order. I expected it to be dog eat dog with our competitors but not with people in my own "team".

I went along with it all because I was biding my time and knew that any day, I'd get the call from my mate asking when I could start. Otherwise it would have been incredibly stressful.

Anyway, I was made redundant in the third round of job losses since I'd been there & a few days later got the call from my friend and the offer of the new career that I craved. I probably could have fought them for constructive dismissal or something but I was just relieved that the 9 months of hell were over.

Anyway, the boss was a complete **** who actively encouraged the hateful environment. I won't mention names but he was also a Championship football referee and his only redeeming feature was that he officiated in rather a famous 5-0 victory for us against some team or other from Nottingham.

Was that the game when Steve Bloomer scored a hattrick?

When I was about 21 I think I worked in Next part time.  It was only once a Sunday but it was definitely the worst job I've had.  It was a combination of things, most notably my manager.

I can't remember her name but she really was a jumped up effing idiot.  It's one of those times in life you wish you could go back, with the maturity and experience you have now.  At time I was very young, naieve and just let myself get walked over.  

I remember one particular Sunday, I went off the shop floor to go for a wee ? Did my business and went into the break room and had a drink of my coke.  Walked back out and to the shop floor again.  Was gone about 3-4 minutes I think.

She comes over: "Where have you been"

Me: Toilet

Her: You only went 30 minutes ago

Me: I needed to go again

Her: well I heard you were in the break room

Me: I was having a drink

The shop itself was also just a place that lacked any warmth, atmosphere or anything enjoyable.  During my early years I worked a lot in retail as I was studying and just growing up.  I worked in McDonalds (great job), Discovery Store, Gadget Shop, a jewellers - and all were fairly good, but Next, wow... it's put me off even shopping there! 

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

There's the door...

Oxford-York018.jpg

Worked in a kitchen when I was a student for a chef with serious delusions on grandeur. He was the most egotistical arse I have ever come across, and his food was passable at best. The way he carried on he thought he was a cross between Marco Pierre White and Gordon Ramsay.

If I had my time again I would have accompanied my notice of resignation with a right hook to the chin.

Archived