The Worst Job you’ve ever had.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Telesales. God I hated that job. Stuck in an office all day ringing people to sell them advertising space on fixture lists for football, Rugby and cricket clubs. How the hell people put up with being stuck behind a desk all day is beyond me. Good money but I only stuck it for 4 months. I've done Grave digging, marquee erecting, parcel delivery work and warehouse work and preferred everyone of them to being stuck in that office.

I once had a job via an agency wrapping aluminium profiles in cling film before sending for despatch, in Shepshed I think.

12 hour days for £4.50 ph, but I'd get an extra 50p if I'd pick someone up on the way.

The lad called me the night before I started to give me his address, right in the middle of the Nottingham Bronx.

Seemed a nice enough lad though, if a bit slow but then again aren't most Gumps?

On the 3rd day I was pulling into a petrol station on the way home when he went into a panic, and asked me to stop the car. He then explained he was banned from every petrol station in the country after being convicted of an armed robbery on one 6 years previous, and didn't want to breach his parole. He explained that at the time of the offence he'd just bought a new T-Shirt and didn't want to throw it away after being caught on CCTV, so he took the top off and stashed it somewhere, which showed foresight I didn't think him capable of, to be fair.

I let him out the car, and arranged to pick him up after filling up with fuel. I came out the petrol station and saw him 50 yds up the road, only now he'd taken his shirt off and was holding it against his chest. I hesitated to pick him up thinking he'd done it again, but stopped and let him in. It was then he dropped the shirt to reveal an eagle tattooed all the way across his chest, and which enabled the police to identify him easily all those years ago.

When I asked him how he thought he'd get away with it, seeing as it was a local garage/shop he used most days, he said he didn't think they'd be allowed to remove his top in an ID parade!

I never went back.

I've had 2 jobs which make me judder.

Job 1: Agency Work: Testing cheap Amstrad mini hifi systems at Betacom (both Alan Sugar companies) in the mid-90s just off Ascot Drive. The job involved unpacking Argos-bound hifi, setting it up then testing the functions. BUT, and this is the catch, I was only allowed to pick from the approved CDs, which, having about 2000 CDs at home, was very frustrating. Should have been a decent job, but when you've got to play, skip, rewind, skip back, record on cassette, play recording and rewind and replay the same song(s) over and over and over and over, you eventually crack, and I did, after about a week. Over 20years later, and I cannot hear the intro to that song without skipping the track of walking out of the room! And NO! Not telling you the song either.

Job 2: Agency Work again: did some "semi-skilled" metalwork at Ave Rail, on Bombardier site (then Adtranz? or ABB?) job involved grinding/smoothing weld and clamp marks off bits of metal before it goes for powder coating. I was in a booth alone, with a white paper-suit on (forensic style), dust mask, vibration white finger tape, gloves, goggles, ear-defenders, hood up etc. Didn't speak to a single person during the day, couldn't hear a thing over the extractor fan, it was just so soul-destroying.

Sith Happens

My last job.  Not helped suffering with my illness so soon after starting and having time off, but subjected to appalling attitudes from co-workers, 

So glad im out.

I got asked by a good friend in the mid 90’s to look after his brother who was covering a security  job for him while he was in Pakistan for 6 months.

His brother was 18 and I had to get him licensed etc.

The job was at a swingers club in Sheffield.

What an eye opener that was.

Very wierd.

I worked for a small engineering firm for about a year. Bone head blokes working for a MD who was the image of Peter Kay’s Brian Potter, quibbling about paying me an extra £5 for staying late while driving about in a big Mercedes. The deputy MD had a problem with wind and the other admin woman had vile breath. 

Finally had enough when the promised overtime and extra cash to cover bog breath’s holidays was nabbed by the MD’s fat wife ‘oh I’ll do it Sweetie, I’m bored at home’. ?

Bin man......in the days when bins weighed a ton, and you had to lift them manually. Collecting the bins from the chinese take-away had to be the worst.

drain rodding.....quite funny altho disgusting. I said to one chap when his hands were covered in caramac "this is disgusting, don't they give you gloves?" "They did at one time" he said " surgeons gloves"......which they then removed with their teeth to get them off.

sweeping the streets. You don't know the meaning of the word contempt until you've seen the way people look at you in that job.

Scraping paint of the walls of the paint shed at qualcast.mind numbingly boring.

lawn mower and strimmer endurance testing at qualcast....has to be one of the most pointless jobs ever. We mowed and strimmed for 8 hours and no-one ever asked for any feedback. Even worse....When it rained we were told to go into the stores - where there was nothing to do - and " look busy". Why?

One of the best was driving two epileptic blokes around the public bogs of Derbyshire, to clean them with a high pressure water washer. You could blast turds to smithereeens. Every now and then one or other of the epileptic chaps would have a funny turn. One of them would start to walk round in circles like a penguin in a trance. He once wandered off and joined a queue at a bus stop. When we pulled up alongside him in the van, he hadn't got a clue who we were and refused to get in. In the end he was forcibly grabbed and man-handled into the van and we drove off. Always wondered what the rest of the bus queue thought was going on. Another trick of his was stepping out into the road infront of on coming lorries. You'd pull out him out of the way in the nick of time and he'd say "its alright...i've got my safety vest on". He thought his hi-viz vest made him indestructible.

One day the other bloke had a funny turn and that wasn't funny at all. He froze, his eyes went bright red, and it sent a chill right down my spine. Reminiscent of the Boston Strangler. He had absolutely no recollection of what he did whilst in that state. 

There's a few for starters....

20 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I once did a job just outside Grimsby.

Terrible, the lad of the house sat on his butt all day on the internet.

Anyrode still got a few jobs need doing in far sunnier Christchurch, are you doing a Dorset run any time soon?

I'm almost 46 yrs old and only ever had two jobs. Served as an apprentice joiner but spent nearly my entire apprenticeship making kitchen units for the local council. That was pretty monotonous. Got laid off when the firm I worked for lost the contract with the council. My then brother-in-law got me a job at Royal Mail as a postie which was meant to be a stop gap job. 23 years later and I'm still there. Not a bad job tbh. It beats walking the streets.

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Bin man......in the days when bins weighed a ton, and you had to lift them manually. Collecting the bins from the chinese take-away had to be the worst.

drain rodding.....quite funny altho disgusting. I said to one chap when his hands were covered in caramac "this is disgusting, don't they give you gloves?" "They did at one time" he said " surgeons gloves"......which they then removed with their teeth to get them off.

sweeping the streets. You don't know the meaning of the word contempt until you've seen the way people look at you in that job.

Scraping paint of the walls of the paint shed at qualcast.mind numbingly boring.

lawn mower and strimmer endurance testing at qualcast....has to be one of the most pointless jobs ever. We mowed and strimmed for 8 hours and no-one ever asked for any feedback. Even worse....When it rained we were told to go into the stores - where there was nothing to do - and " look busy". Why?

One of the best was driving two epileptic blokes around the public bogs of Derbyshire, to clean them with a high pressure water washer. You could blast turds to smithereeens. Every now and then one or other of the epileptic chaps would have a funny turn. One of them would start to walk round in circles like a penguin in a trance. He once wandered off and joined a queue at a bus stop. When we pulled up alongside him in the van, he hadn't got a clue who we were and refused to get in. In the end he was forcibly grabbed and man-handled into the van and we drove off. Always wondered what the rest of the bus queue thought was going on. Another trick of his was stepping out into the road infront of on coming lorries. You'd pull out him out of the way in the nick of time and he'd say "its alright...i've got my safety vest on". He thought his hi-viz vest made him indestructible.

One day the other bloke had a funny turn and that wasn't funny at all. He froze, his eyes went bright red, and it sent a chill right down my spine. Reminiscent of the Boston Strangler. He had absolutely no recollection of what he did whilst in that state. 

There's a few for starters....

I always wondered where you accountancy background was from.

Just now, Budgie895 said:

One of the best quotes I've heard was!

find a job you love, and you'll never work again! 

That's so true. I enjoy my job. Stress free barring the odd awkward customer and dogs of course. Granted that given the choice I'd rather not work but needs must. Privatisation has made the job worse if I'm honest but that was inevitable downside of that move.

Archived