Mason Mount

Cam the Ram

19 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry to pour cold water on dreams but I think we have next to zero chance of signing either Tomori or Mount. Both of them are, already, Prem class and I have no doubt that they will both go on to play for England. Enjoy them while you can, they are both a delight to watch but not for ever I am afraid.

Can anyone name a young talent that has gone out on loan from one of the big clubs to a smaller club and ended up signing for them? Bamford comes to mind but besides that it hardly ever happens - that is not why they are here.

As for us, we bought Martin, Bent and Ince after loans but the usual clamour to sign up the likes of Palmer, Winnall, Osman etc just comes to naught.

David Jones ??‍♀️

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish we could keep this lad forever :(!! what a great player to watch. Despite the fact he's one of the brightest up and coming stars in English football, he's willing to put in 120% in each game and work for the team.

When we had the likes of Lingard here, I got the feeling he didn't really want to be at Derby and thought he was bigger than the club.

I love everything about Mason Mount.

30 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not sure tomari would be played by Chelsea so that option may be possible if he fancied it but in an ideal world we get promoted and keep them on loan and we benefit from them and Chelsea see how they do but that’s a heck of a long way off 

That was going to be my other point, how often can you remember a young starlet having their loan period extended? Collective wisdom seems to be that once it is up you move them on (e.g. Lukaku) to learn afresh elsewhere. I do agree though, the most likely way of it happening it to get promoted and then hope Frank can convince his old mates.

But he'll deserve his own statue alongside Brian and Peter if he pulls that off.

19 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I wish we could keep this lad forever :(!! what a great player to watch. Despite the fact he's one of the brightest up and coming stars in English football, he's willing to put in 120% in each game and work for the team.

When we had the likes of Lingard here, I got the feeling he didn't really want to be at Derby and thought he was bigger than the club.

I agree on all of that. It amazes me to sit watching Lingard playing for England and think that is the same player who couldn't even make the starting XI for us. To be fair, for club and country he is largely the same player - utterly anonymous for 85 minutes then he gets interested for two minutes and does something impressive.

36 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am not sure tomari would be played by Chelsea so that option may be possible if he fancied it but in an ideal world we get promoted and keep them on loan and we benefit from them and Chelsea see how they do but that’s a heck of a long way off 

In the Premier League you can only have one loan from any given club in a season, so by proxy we'd be forced to sign Tomori permanently and just have Mount on loan ?

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

That was going to be my other point, how often can you remember a young starlet having their loan period extended? Collective wisdom seems to be that once it is up you move them on (e.g. Lukaku) to learn afresh elsewhere. I do agree though, the most likely way of it happening it to get promoted and then hope Frank can convince his old mates.

But he'll deserve his own statue alongside Brian and Peter if he pulls that off.

In terms of statue well you have to win the top league for that one!

5 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

In the Premier League you can only have one loan from any given club in a season, so by proxy we'd be forced to sign Tomori permanently and just have Mount on loan ?

How terribly inconvenient- the premiership always has it In for us 

12 minutes ago, thederbyram said:

I always think up and coming players should think about not going straight for the big club. Both Mount and Tomori could do worse than come to us (when we make the Prem) to put themselves in the shop window. I remember Robbie Keane doing this when he moved from Wolves to Coventry who, at the time, were a lesser Prem club. Gave Robbie chance to build his game plus, as no small consideration, get himself two bumper transfer bonuses rather than one.

Dream a little dream for me.....

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry to pour cold water on dreams but I think we have next to zero chance of signing either Tomori or Mount. Both of them are, already, Prem class and I have no doubt that they will both go on to play for England. Enjoy them while you can, they are both a delight to watch but not for ever I am afraid.

Can anyone name a young talent that has gone out on loan from one of the big clubs to a smaller club and ended up signing for them? Bamford comes to mind but besides that it hardly ever happens - that is not why they are here.

As for us, we bought Martin, Bent and Ince after loans but the usual clamour to sign up the likes of Palmer, Winnall, Osman etc just comes to naught.

Tomori isn't a Prem-level defender just yet, slightly too weak aerially and his positional sense is still somewhat naive. We'd be far more likely to get him than Wilson or Mount. That being said, Mount is the only one who I cannot foresee a scenario where we sign him permanently. If we were to get promoted, I could see Wilson and Tomori joining permanently and maybe another Mount loan? 

Palmer didn't play enough to warrant a permanent move and Winnall was injured... along with the regime change, those moves were probably never even options to us, they seem odd examples. Osman was a different class and his quality probably ruled out the move but that was also 15 years ago, different game now... 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Tomori isn't a Prem-level defender just yet, slightly too weak aerially and his positional sense is still somewhat naive. We'd be far more likely to get him than Wilson or Mount. That being said, Mount is the only one who I cannot foresee a scenario where we sign him permanently. If we were to get promoted, I could see Wilson and Tomori joining permanently and maybe another Mount loan? 

Palmer didn't play enough to warrant a permanent move and Winnall was injured... along with the regime change, those moves were probably never even options to us, they seem odd examples. Osman was a different class and his quality probably ruled out the move but that was also 15 years ago, different game now... 

1: If Tomori has naivety around positional sense he hid it pretty well on Saturday. He was the stand out defender across two teams.

2: I'm asking the question again, name a young starlet who has finished a loan period from a big club to a smaller club by signing for that club, any club. Bamford is the only example I can think of.

3: Can you name any young starlet who has extended a loan period with a club to second season? I can't think of one.

4: Palmer and Winnall are examples as they are loan players we have brought in and who people on here were saying we should sign - sorry, I can only quote what has happened. 

I'd love it if we signed either Mount or Tomori, or Wilson come to that. But I think we're better spending time talking about the hotel complex on the East Stand as that has more chance of happening than these two signing for us.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I always think up and coming players should think about not going straight for the big club. Both Mount and Tomori could do worse than come to us (when we make the Prem) to put themselves in the shop window. I remember Robbie Keane doing this when he moved from Wolves to Coventry who, at the time, were a lesser Prem club. Gave Robbie chance to build his game plus, as no small consideration, get himself two bumper transfer bonuses rather than one.

Dream a little dream for me.....

I do sometimes wonder what would happen if a club adopted a transfer policy of going for mega clubs’ youngsters. 

Leicester did it to an extent with United’s youngsters, signing Richie De Laet, Matty James, Drinkwater, Lawrence and getting Lingard and Keane on loan. 

Say if somebody made a concerted effort to go after Chelsea’s youngsters… both Chalobahs, Palmer, Brown, Solanke, Abraham, Mount, Baker, RLC, Blackman, Mount, Tomori, Hudson-Odoi… some have already moved on and some would probably be unattainable but there’s certainly a pool of talent there that probably won’t get a chance at Chelsea 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think you’re underplaying the former here. Three or four goals we’ve conceded from his losing out on headers. 

I think you’re overplaying the latter. In a high-line it’s absolutely fine and actually expected of him to be reactive. 

42 minutes ago, cannable said:

Three or four goals we’ve conceded from his losing out on headers.

Not really. I've just watched all the goals we've conceded this season.

The only goals you can attribute directly to him are from 2 headers against Leeds (one of which really was a great cross into the space him and Lowe) and an unnecessary swipe for the OG at Milwall (could have gone anywhere), his first 2 league matches in a brand new team.

As Jody Morris hinted at before Saturday's game those mistakes came from a lack of concentration rather than ability.

He's won countless headers in the home matches against Ipswich, Preston, Blackburn & Brentford, quite often not just winning it but directing the ball to a teammate at the same time.

27 minutes ago, Matt H said:

Not really. I've just watched all the goals we've conceded this season.

The only goals you can attribute directly to him are from 2 headers against Leeds (one of which really was a great cross into the space him and Lowe) and an unnecessary swipe for the OG at Milwall (could have gone anywhere), his first 2 league matches in a brand new team.

As Jody Morris hinted at before Saturday's game those mistakes came from a lack of concentration rather than ability.

He's won countless headers in the home matches against Ipswich, Preston, Blackburn & Brentford, quite often not just winning it but directing the ball to a teammate at the same time.

...although when I posted this I had failed to watch the Brentford goal again.

7 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Well I'm waiting for him to drop to only 100% effort in a game so I can give him a good old DCFC boo from the comfort of my sofa.

Tomori could well be an option for us, permanently. He would cost a fair whack, still (£5-10m) but he's in a similar boat to the likes of Bamford. Mount, however, has been the most exciting player in the Chelsea academy since a certain Kevin De Bruyne was there. 

The value of Mason Mount for Chelsea to sell - definitely, definitely no less than £50m. Villa wanted £40m or something for Grealish, a player four years older than Mount, a player showing himself an absolute fraud to be mentioned in the same breathe as him too. 

Mount is here for the season, god willing we get promoted and we get another year of him in the Premier League, but I'd just enjoy him for the season. I'd not I'd just be happy to see him reach his potential. He's England's best midfield prospect since the Golden Generation. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

Tomori could well be an option for us, permanently.

Not if we carry on publicly praising the lad, we need to play it cool, help lower the price to say 500k for what is a lower to mid Championship defender which we'll do Chelsea a favour taking him off their hands as he will never go far. 

source.gif

Archived