What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

32 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Sadly people are in denial over this. Watching him play last season we saw a shadow of the player from before. Ineffective in the tackle, slow mover, slow thinker ( his awareness of others poor)  and often poor distribution. The qualities that made him such a good player have gone. There is no point in expecting he will get these back after his last big injury. 

I made the point at the time but playing in a two is totally different from playing at the base of a three.

Fewer forward passing options, more running expected, less opportunities to receive the ball on the half turn etcetera. 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank is not messing about. So impressed that he came with so little money available and has transformed the team beyond wildest expectations in 5-6 weeks. He is so excited and full of praise for all the players. Transfers conducted with professionalism. 

He says more by saying nothing than most managers do spouting stuff that causes division.

He is a People Person. Long may it last. 

47 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Sad but true.

Metallica song/puns to follow ? 

He's retiring from football. He took a crash course in brain surgery.

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

He turns like a bus and his passing is not effective. Been a long time since he was the player we loaned. 

He played the second half at Mansfield and had no impact on anything or anyone. 

I lived on the Thorne transfer thread. He was such a great signing. A true example of a proper DM. None of this stand and admire the easy diagonal pass as he nails a 90% pass accuracy. He was defensively switched on to danger and had the pace to recover from the odd poor positioning. He was strong and his instinct was to first feed the ball through the opponents line. 

But since then he's been slow, passed safe and easily bypassed. He's done less good than Butterfield and had x10 the support. 

It's good that he's had the support. But I think he's very fortunate to still be rated fairly highly and have faith that he will reach his best again. It was 2014 when Thorne put in the performances that have him as one of our best players. 

Probably an unpopular opinion. Sorry

not unpopular at all mate ,you have put it exactly how it is

13 hours ago, Premier ram said:

was told last night by somebody who claims to be in the know and often speaks to people at the club through his job that Stoke have made a serious bid for Tom Huddlestone and QPR have made a tentative enquiry to take George Thorne on loan

Both great players in their time but I, couldn't argue against either of those if they happened

Sad to say but - 

1) Not fit enough

2) Not fast enough (maybe due to above)

3) Injury prone (maybe due to his commitment when fit).

If I am being honest, I would like to see him out on loan to assess just how this year pans out. If he can remain injury free and get his fitness back - then great.

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

George Thorne has been at Derby for 4 injury inflicted years. I fear he may never be the player who shone against QPR in the play-off final in 2014. 

He doesn't even need to be that player.

The George Thorne who bossed the midfield in the 4-0 victory over Hull in 2016 under Wassall would be enough, but even that that Thorne is a distant memory at this stage.

He has a very long way to go to get into derby first team now ,,, for me Ledley has that spot now and I reckon he will be hard to dislodge , he looks great there now we are not playing two sitting players in front of our defence ,he has room to work and his positional sense shines out now even more ,,, a loan for Thorne is the best suggestion I’ve heard ,, if I’m honest I think it’s very unlikely he will ever be the player for derby we thought he would become 

I'm a big fan of Thorne (as can tell from my pic) but he was played in a 8 / 10 role by Rowett last season and it's definitely not his best position. Thornes the type of player who could pass through two lines of the opposition and was defensively sound, too much of a talent to get rid of right now. Should go on loan for a bit to get the confidence back up. 

Is injury prone the right thing to say? I mean, one of them was pretty much unavoidable and the other just plain bad luck.

Although, sad to see him in the position he s now. Great player a few years back. Would have thought it would have been him as opposed to Hendrick getting a crack at the Prem. 

30 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Is injury prone the right thing to say? I mean, one of them was pretty much unavoidable and the other just plain bad luck.

Although, sad to see him in the position he s now. Great player a few years back. Would have thought it would have been him as opposed to Hendrick getting a crack at the Prem. 

If he was a car, he'd be a FIAT.

Some say bad luck, I don't think so..

What a waste of talent, he was seriously good but hard to believe he's ever gonna be that player again. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Probably quite unfairly (and almost certainly complete balls) I've always thought he seems to have quite of a weak constitution, he always seemed to have the sniffles in interviews and I imagine him to have been quite a sickly child!

I'd say he's been desperately unlucky, and he has, but it just feels  like, if any player was going to pick up an infection from surgery for a broken leg, well it would be Thorne wouldn't it? Again, grossly unfair, but... ?

Why is Thorne's recovery always blighted by minor niggles? Why wasn't Forsyth's?

It's just.... aaarrrrggghhh.

1 hour ago, Mr Giggles said:

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So getting his leg broken was his fault? ?

If you are quoting my post?

I said Injury prone (maybe due to his commitment) So yes I stand by that, in that he gets injured by being so committed he gets stuck in and isn't afraid to do so.

Injury prone by the very nature of the saying is PRONE TO INJURY. But as he is committed then yes he is.

I never said getting his leg broken was his fault, of course it wasn't. But again I refer you to my original post on page 5 which I have re-quoted above

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

If you are quoting my post?

I said Injury prone (maybe due to his commitment) So yes I stand by that, in that he gets injured by being so committed he gets stuck in and isn't afraid to do so.

Injury prone by the very nature of the saying is PRONE TO INJURY. But as he is committed then yes he is.

I never said getting his leg broken was his fault, of course it wasn't. But again I refer you to my original post on page 5 which I have re-quoted above

No sorry, there just seems to be a consensus that he is an injury prone player, wasn't targeting you. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So getting his leg broken was his fault? ?

Some players are just injury prone, you can't just say he's been unlucky, it's not just the leg break that's kept him out for the past 5 years.

There's so many injury prone players out there, that just can't/couldn't seem to get their career going, Danny Sturridge, Jack Wilshire, Ledley King, Vincent Kompany, Andy Carroll, just to name a few. 

Being injury prone is a thing, some people pick up injuries more than others and unfortunately for us and him, he fits in that category. 

18 hours ago, Alpha said:

He turns like a bus and his passing is not effective. Been a long time since he was the player we loaned. 

He played the second half at Mansfield and had no impact on anything or anyone. 

I lived on the Thorne transfer thread. He was such a great signing. A true example of a proper DM. None of this stand and admire the easy diagonal pass as he nails a 90% pass accuracy. He was defensively switched on to danger and had the pace to recover from the odd poor positioning. He was strong and his instinct was to first feed the ball through the opponents line. 

But since then he's been slow, passed safe and easily bypassed. He's done less good than Butterfield and had x10 the support. 

It's good that he's had the support. But I think he's very fortunate to still be rated fairly highly and have faith that he will reach his best again. It was 2014 when Thorne put in the performances that have him as one of our best players. 

Probably an unpopular opinion. Sorry

I've missed your intelligent posts...where have they been hiding?

You said exactly what I would say about him.

His passing is the saddest part of his demise. Last season his few attempts at creative passing were easily cut out and all of a sudden he went into this ultra safe and defensive mode. Was horrible to see.

Archived