18/19 Derby County League Finish Predictor

Day

18/19 Position Predictor  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We'll play some great stuff & dish out a couple of hidings but don't think we'll have the consistency to finish top 6. Championship is mainly about getting hard-fought results with only the truly exceptional teams being able to assert themselves over the whole season (i.e. Wolves last season). For that reason, I foresee Stoke & Villa (even despite their financial woes) being very strong - Rowett & Bruce don't care for style & are happy to park the bus for those vital 0-1 away wins.

I wouldn't expect Lampard to have that street-savvy so early in his managerial career & listening to his interviews, he has a clear idea of the attractive style of play he wants to implement. Unfortunately attractive football takes longer to get 'right' than attritional, results at all costs football. Whether Lampard changes to a more pragmatic approach after a few undeserved defeats or whether he stays true to his principles will be interesting to watch but it would be an astonishing feat for him to finish Derby in the top 2 this season (as nearly 40% of those who have voted seem to think)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

We'll play some great stuff & dish out a couple of hidings but don't think we'll have the consistency to finish top 6. Championship is mainly about getting hard-fought results with only the truly exceptional teams being able to assert themselves over the whole season (i.e. Wolves last season). For that reason, I foresee Stoke & Villa (even despite their financial woes) being very strong - Rowett & Bruce don't care for style & are happy to park the bus for those vital 0-1 away wins.

I wouldn't expect Lampard to have that street-savvy so early in his managerial career & listening to his interviews, he has a clear idea of the attractive style of play he wants to implement. Unfortunately attractive football takes longer to get 'right' than attritional, results at all costs football. Whether Lampard changes to a more pragmatic approach after a few undeserved defeats or whether he stays true to his principles will be interesting to watch but it would be an astonishing feat for him to finish Derby in the top 2 this season (as nearly 40% of those who have voted seem to think)

Almost feel like Lampard is getting the same treatment that many of his generation got when playing for the national side.

Building then up with lots of hype and expectation early doors, setting them up to be pilloried when it doesn’t quite go to plan.

Think we need to chill out. Progress and success this season doesn’t necessarily look like storming the league or even finishing Top 6. But for some, I fear that a few decent friendly performances and media interest has caused that to be a minimum expectation.

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Went for 6th. The signings, style and performances in pre-season have given me a lot of hope, but I'm still a little worried about whether the team can put in the levels of effort and energy we've seen so far for the majority of the season. And will Frank manage to get the team's morale up during a bad run (if we go on one) because we've seen so many experienced managers struggle to in the past

Cam, you are forgetting two major factors.

Firstly, Frank and Jody have have been with the lads less than a month and the transformation of the players in that time has been nothing short of miraculous. Think what they’ll be like in 3, 4, 5 months time.

Secondly, Frank doesn’t do bad runs. 

C O Y chuffin’ R ? 

40 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Almost feel like Lampard is getting the same treatment that many of his generation got when playing for the national side.

Building then up with lots of hype and expectation early doors, setting them up to be pilloried when it doesn’t quite go to plan.

Think we need to chill out. Progress and success this season doesn’t necessarily look like storming the league or even finishing Top 6. But for some, I fear that a few decent friendly performances and media interest has caused that to be a minimum expectation.

Totally agree. Don't get me wrong, its great seeing all the optimism & excitement on here but with that comes expectation, which I think is unfair on a guy just starting his managerial career. The media (as you suggest) have their own agenda & success & stability at Derby County is nowhere near it.

I want Lampard to see out his 3 years here (minimum) which I think would enable him to take us up. That might not suit Sky or our more impatient fans but hopefully the majority of us will get it & back him when times get tough.

Lampard may be a novice manager, but he knows what style of football he wants to implement. He's served during his playing career under some very good coaches, with England as well with the clubs he's played with. Frank already stated that he will take on board some of the methods and ideas from his 20+ years playing under these coaches. Bringing in Jody Morris and others like Shay Given is also a bonus. His name as already attracted good up and coming players to the club. We have beaten 2 premier league teams in the pre-season friendlies and played with style (even though its been in patches). With a few new faces in the squad and good quality players which will buy into his tactics and style of play, we will get better as the season goes on. The Rams will entertain they will score more goals than last season, we will have the odd blip where some team will turn us over. So I'm sticking my neck out and state we will start the season off really well instead of our traditional slow start and will finish as Champions.     COYR

2 minutes ago, LondonRam2 said:

hi all

What I'd like to know is this - who predicted 24th and, erm, why?  LOL.

LR2

Boycie. Because he's a troll. And when I say troll, I do mean an ugly cave-dwelling creature. 

Gone for 2nd

somehwere along the line we will have an awesome run .. this either propels us in to first only to slip back, or we come with a late rush.

Either way we will score lots of goals, Saturday mornings will be filled with joyful anticipation and most Saturday afternoons will have a satisfying afterglow. 

I didn’t mean this to sound smutty, It just happened like that, honest. 

We're traditionally slow starters and it always comes back to bite us. The effort of playing catchup always seems to catch up with us in the end. My feeling this year is there is a chance we'll be quick out of the blocks. Even so, I went for third place as it's never straightforward being a Derby fan. And however well we're doing, we have created a self-fulfilling prophecy of spring collapse. That is going to be a very hard thing to escape from.

Interesting to see how optimistic everyone is being.

2nd for me.

Feeling optimistic from what I’ve seen. It already appears that Frank has injected new life into the club and this new style of play and a younger side with more zest will pay dividends.

Really excited to see what kind of impact Mount and Jozefzoon make - our two most exciting signings in this window.

With his pedigree, I fully expect Mount to be our standout player of the campaign with double figures for goals and assists.

I really can’t see us finishing any lower than 4th.

I'm hardly around these days but I'm still keeping an eye on you ?

I've fon for second but it also wouldnt surprise me if you stormed it 

Frank continues to come across well. Let's be honest the bloke is very bright indeed.

Now if you're a player and someone as successful AND articulate as Frank tells you what he wants and you don't do it, you're a total duck egg.

As long as his ideas are sound and they seem to be very sound indeed, I think he's going to do very well for you.

Huge kudos to Mel as well for again backing his manager with cash, hopefully he's found one who'll repay him with success and time spent at the club.

Hope it goes well on Friday, ideally you'll come out of the traps flying and the seemingly overwhelming positivity {that only pre season can bring) carries you onto a great season.

Ps, send us Mason B to the season pretty please, as we're a wee bit short of everything.

Money, players AND fans.

46 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I'm hardly around these days but I'm still keeping an eye on you ?

I've fon for second but it also wouldnt surprise me if you stormed it 

Frank continues to come across well. Let's be honest the bloke is very bright indeed.

Now if you're a player and someone as successful AND articulate as Frank tells you what he wants and you don't do it, you're a total duck egg.

As long as his ideas are sound and they seem to be very sound indeed, I think he's going to do very well for you.

Huge kudos to Mel as well for again backing his manager with cash, hopefully he's found one who'll repay him with success and time spent at the club.

Hope it goes well on Friday, ideally you'll come out of the traps flying and the seemingly overwhelming positivity {that only pre season can bring) carries you onto a great season.

Ps, send us Mason B to the season pretty please, as we're a wee bit short of everything.

Money, players AND fans.

It's looking like Bennett might finally get his chance with the first team. Frank has seemingly put a lot of trust in youngsters which makes a nice change from Rowett. The last time I remember this many youngsters in and around the first team was in the Clough days ... I'm sure you remember that Ronnie ?

38 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's looking like Bennett might finally get his chance with the first team. Frank has seemingly put a lot of trust in youngsters which makes a nice change from Rowett. The last time I remember this many youngsters in and around the first team was in the Clough days ... I'm sure you remember that Ronnie ?

Vaguely remember a bloke called Clough a couple of years back ?

I wouldn't begrudge you not letting us have him on loan as long as he's involved. I'd love to see Mason do well at Derby.

I do think though that if Nigel had been in chaege by now Mason would have either played 150 games at Championship level and worth the same kind of money as will or Jeff.

OR he'd have played 40 times we'd all have found out whether he could or couldn't do it and then he'd move on for nowt and be playing league two.

The thing with mason is none of us really know for sure.

I suspect he's still got enough about him to be a very decent player indeed.

I'd love him down at the Pirelli but if he stays at derby I'd have everything crossed he turned out to be as good as once hoped.

Archived