Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

So Lampard's had two weeks in the job. Two weeks to decide who he wants to keep and who he's moving on, and where we need to improve.

What a logical way to do things.

I can't believe in two weeks, he's not signed 6 new players blindly, offered the rest five year contracts and engrained all of his tactics into the players heads.

He must be a failure - write the season off.

What sort of person writes a stupid post like this?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

So Lampard's had two weeks in the job. Two weeks to decide who he wants to keep and who he's moving on, and where we need to improve.

I can't believe in two weeks, he's not signed 6 new players blindly, offered the rest five year contracts and engrained all of his tactics into the players heads.

When did Bris say that? 

He quite clearly stated that Lampard’s hands are tied. 

The only thing I can disagree with is that write off is too strong a term. I’m fully expecting a season of transition and that’s fine. 

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

When did Bris say that? 

He quite clearly stated that Lampard’s hands are tied. 

The only thing I can disagree with is that write off is too strong a term. I’m fully expecting a season of transition and that’s fine. 

I'm expecting some signings when Frank has worked out exactly what time of player he needs.

Like I said, two weeks, the season doesn't really start till after the transfer window which is six weeks away.

Pass judgement on whether anyone's hands are tied after that day.

Impatience leads to posts like this. Irritates the hell out of me. The World Cup has yet to finish, meaning lots and lots of teams worldwide have yet to get there squad back together to assess them. Teams are without managers and therefore won't sign off transfers and loans.

Two weeks and we've got someone giving their version of why this season is a waste of time. Would it all seem better if someone else decided who Frank needed and signed them without him having a look at what he's got?

Is this season a write off? No, nothing is a write off no matter how bad things are before a ball has been kicked, and they’re really not that bad anyway.

On the other hand, is there any evidence to suggest we will improve? No, there’s not. The squad has yet to be improved, the only thing that has changed is we’ve swapped managers from someone we knew was ok but not special to someone we have no idea about. Lampard could be better or worse than Rowett but there’s nothing we can go on to suggest which way that will go.

So really, there’s little to be excited about the upcoming campaign other than Lampard being in charge at the moment, and the window has not gone the way we would expect. This is nothing new however, I’d hazard a guess we’ve made the least per snag signings in the division since Clements spending spree and we’ve still competed. Nothing is over yet.

When I look at how much has been achieved to get the right support staff in over a matter of weeks I am very optimistic. The quality is so far above the “mates” that have left. Look at the cv of jones the fitness coach etc Morris/ Given. Some of thes guys began work this week. They need to assess what we have before we speculate on loanees and potential targets etc. Personally I blame Football Manager for some of the knee jerk reactions to a quiet but essential period of assessment. Too many armchair champions league winners I think. 

A season of transition I can fully get behind, but that term is generally used when you’ve bought porential and you’re gradually bedding them in.

Other than a change of style of play, it’s difficult to see this as a season of transition when we haven’t bought anybody, and we have so few academy products coming through.

With so many players out of contract next summer and expected to leave, a change in style of play isn’t a transition for them. They have no long-term future at DCFC.

And any decent player we sign on loan isn’t likely to return here, so it’s not like we’re putting any building blocks in place.

I see very few players at the club now who will likely be here in three or four years time, and it’s going to take us that long to undo the mess which has been made and challenge for promotion again.

Without signing any youngsters or bringing any through, this season is going to be totally pointless and it’s not until the following season where phase 1 of the rebuild can begin.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

A season of transition I can fully get behind, but that term is generally used when you’ve bought porential and you’re gradually bedding them in.

Other than a change of style of play, it’s difficult to see this as a season of transition when we haven’t bought anybody, and we have so few academy products coming through.

With so many players out of contract next summer and expected to leave, a change in style of play isn’t a transition for them. They have no long-term future at DCFC.

And any decent player we sign on loan isn’t likely to return here, so it’s not like we’re putting any building blocks in place.

I see very few players at the club now who will likely be here in three or four years time, and it’s going to take us that long to undo the mess which has been made and challenge for promotion again.

Without signing any youngsters or bringing any through, this season is going to be totally pointless and it’s not until the following season where phase 1 of the rebuild can begin.

Blimey,I hope not! I’d expect us to pick up a few along the way ?

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We will be coaching on a different level. Not appointing coaches who are a friend of the gaffers wife or happen to be sitting next to garys mate in a coffee shop,,hopefully have a desire to bring players through rather than sign on short term older player basis.

There`s a 9.am luxury coach from Duffield to Stoke every morning with GR`s crew on board #gravytrain.

Keep the faith

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Is this season a write off? No, nothing is a write off no matter how bad things are before a ball has been kicked, and they’re really not that bad anyway.

On the other hand, is there any evidence to suggest we will improve?

So another Top 6 finish then?

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Utter rubbish.

We’ve already made a step forward in getting rid of Shackell, Baird, Weimann and bent and having Thomas, bogle, Lowe and Bennett step into the fold. 

That alone reduces wages by nearly £4 mil, we’ve raised around £6 mil and reduced the average age of the squad by several years. 

How is that not a step forward and we haven’t even bought anyway. 

On 12/07/2018 at 14:18, Bris Vegas said:

No new signings

A new inexperienced manager with little room to manoeuvre in the transfer market. 

An ageing squad only declining in ability

Championship rivals spending big and improving their squad

Half the current squad out of contract next summer - not exactly a good base to build around

I don’t blame Lampard for any of this. It’s not like the Nigel Pearson situation where he waited until the season started and then panicked because the players didn’t fit his system.

This upcoming season already seems like a waste of time when half the squad will be gone in 12 months and it’s not good enough for promotion. We don’t have a Hughes or Hendrick to build around either.

We need to write off this season. We need to tread water for a  year. Let some of the ludicrous contracts to run out and then go again. Let frank find his feet, realise what we are short of and go out and get it. The championship is quite cyclical. Some good years ( this one coming up) and some easy ones. Last year 2 poor teams got up, this year 2 very good teams will miss out. Let’s just hope we are strong next year but the league isn’t 

8 hours ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

What sort of person writes a stupid post like this 

Lampard can only build his team if he’s given resources. It appears any permanent incomings depends on Vydra leaving. I understand where Bris is coming from though, how can Lampard build his team if a lot of these players aren’t going to be here this time next year? He might not even want a lot of them but might not have any choice because they are on huge wages and no-one else wants them. A lot of them will decline further because they are old and passed their peaks.

Rowett’s a smart man, as much as I didn’t like his football. It has to be asked why he jumped ship? Could he foresaw a season of struggle? I think that’s a possibility and he jumped before Mel made him jump had we started off poorly.

On 12 July 2018 at 15:51, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Way too much information for a HITC headline. More like "Do THIS clubs fans think the season is over already?"

Still too much.  More like "Do THIS clubs fans have an opinion you DO NOT want to miss hearing?".

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Rowett’s a smart man, as much as I didn’t like his football. It has to be asked why he jumped ship? Could he foresaw a season of struggle? I think that’s a possibility and he jumped before Mel made him jump had we started off poorly.

Are you insinuating that Rowett saw something that Lampard didn't or that Lampard wasnt told the full situation when he accepted the job role?

A write off (in terms of competing for promotion)? Maybe it will be, yeah. Or maybe not. At this point I'm not really bothered unless we become relegation contenders.

A waste of time? That's a different matter. If Elsnik, Bogle, Thomas, Bennet get 50 appearances between them and don't look out of place then it isn't a waste of time. Maybe one of them (or someone else) will excel.

We could maybe be bringing more through, but a lot of our U23/Academy teams are made up of players playing above their age group (THAT'S A POSITIVE SIGN!) . We've been so desperate for promotion that risking inexperienced players hasn't really been an option. I've never even seen Bogle play but the fact that he's involved in the first team's pre-season is ducking brilliant.  We've only been truly serious about our academy for the past 3-4 years, personally I think we're doing well - we're competing with teams who've had this structure in place for far longer and our youth teams are full of technically sound youngsters who want to play in the (perceived) right way, if anything we're missing the traditional English idea of what makes a footballer. We're bringing though more Simon Dawkins than Tom Inces and I'm delighted by that. 

Archived