Is this season a write-off already?

Bris Vegas

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

Rowett’s a smart man, as much as I didn’t like his football. It has to be asked why he jumped ship? Could he foresaw a season of struggle? I think that’s a possibility and he jumped before Mel made him jump had we started off poorly.

To me that translates as 'Rowett helped inflate the wage bill and push up the average age of the squad and didn't fancy putting in the work to help fix the problem'.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

To me that translates as 'Rowett helped inflate the wage bill and push up the average age of the squad and didn't fancy putting in the work to help fix the problem'.

To me it translates as Rowett was a self-centred disloyal ****** who blew everything on one dash for promotion, overrated his own ability and dumped on his colleagues.

19 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Utter rubbish.

We’ve already made a step forward in getting rid of Shackell, Baird, Weimann and bent and having Thomas, bogle, Lowe and Bennett step into the fold. 

That alone reduces wages by nearly £4 mil, we’ve raised around £6 mil and reduced the average age of the squad by several years. 

How is that not a step forward and we haven’t even bought anyway. 

To be fair, that’s more of a step (or several steps) backwards avoided than a step forward, isn’t it?

Necessary to be able to move forward? Yep. A good thing? Undoubtedly?

11 hours ago, 86 points said:

Yeah, season's over before a ball's been kicked in anger.

Manager's failed to identify and secure players within an acceptable time frame.

You win nothing with rookies.

Lampard out.

Boo!

Is it September already? Geez, it’s mah birfday in a few days.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Just watched the first half....very impressed.

all the things that rowett scrapped are back. 

Bryson. Passing. Movement. Possession. 

Last season our attacking moves in the opposition half rarely achieved even three successful consecutive passes. But in this match we played like fulham. Controlling the game by controlling possession. Passing the ball on the deck. Picking our way through. Kelle Roos could have stayed on the beach.

ok its league 2 opposition and its july, but what a transformation! 

Bryson is already the key man. It would be mental to sell him. 

Wow!

I think @Bris Vegas will be happy when he's seen us. 

Southampton and wolves will be a good test.

Yes, I believe it is. We are definitely writing off a few hundred quid from my bank account on new season tickets when we go to Pride Park on Thursday.

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He's already posted on another thread that Forest will be top 6 with us fortunate to be top 10. That was AFTER our new loan signings.

He says the same stuff every year. Even a broken clock is right twice a day so I've no idea what his excuse is ?

Love how this quote still has legs in the digital era!!! Might have to explain it to the younger members though....

32 minutes ago, 86 points said:

He says the same stuff every year. Even a broken clock is right twice a day so I've no idea what his excuse is ?

Not a write off now. In fairness, it wasn’t clear when Bris posted that we would go the talented youth route, now that we are going with Thomas Mount Wilson and some Lampard tactical nous, we could potentially mount a serious challenge to other league hopefuls. 

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Not a write off now. In fairness, it wasn’t clear when Bris posted that we would go the talented youth route, now that we are going with Thomas Mount Wilson and some Lampard tactical nous, we could potentially mount a serious challenge to other league hopefuls. 

'In fairness' nothing was clear when Bris posted so maybe he should have just been a tad more patient like the rest of us?

Pre-emptive doom and gloom merchants will always come in for a bit of stick in these instances. No guarantees that we'll now tear it up of course, but at least some folk will have to wait a few weeks longer before dusting down the sackcloth and ashes kit.

If we had just signed Mount and Wilson on permanent deals then I may start warming to the idea that this season isn’t a write-off already.

We would have two excellent young players to build around and have them as the building blocks in Lampard’s new regime, style and philosophy.

But, the truth is, we’ve just signed two players who are plugging gaps and won’t be with us beyond this season.

Archived